Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I thought he would really bust a gut and prove his doubters wrong when he came on tonight.

 

He was awful, he is so off the pace and his body language is pathetic.

 

I was one of his biggest fans but if you can’t at least try and put a shift in, then he may as well give up.

 

Only thing that awaits him now is a league 1 club taking a punt on him, anyone else would be mad to go anywhere near him.

 

Its turning out to be commercial suicide from us greater even than Abdi / Jeffers levels. :sad:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope he rediscovers something of his old self somehow, somewhere... but sadly it shouldn’t be at Hillsborough. We basically become 10 men when he plays & you just can’t carry players in the championship.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not normally one to criticise our players but I just think he’s finished at this level. I can’t see what he offers or what we’re expecting him to do when he comes on or starts.

 

He’s been at Wednesday nearly 3 years now and how many good games has he had in that time?

 

He’s not the first striker to be finished at 29... David Hirst, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore (and even Francis Jeffers) are a few strikers that were considerably better than Rhodes, scored plenty of goals in their early 20s but were pretty much finished at 29

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nilsson said:

I’m not normally one to criticise our players but I just think he’s finished at this level. I can’t see what he offers or what we’re expecting him to do when he comes on or starts.

 

He’s been at Wednesday nearly 3 years now and how many good games has he had in that time?

 

He’s not the first striker to be finished at 29... David Hirst, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore (and even Francis Jeffers) are a few strikers that were considerably better than Rhodes, scored plenty of goals in their early 20s but were pretty much finished at 29

True, but they were finished by injuries,  and possibly cocaine. With Rhodes it’s attitude. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a top championship side like a Newcastle or Wolves he might be of some use as he was at Norwich.

 

But he creates zero so needs to thrive on tap-ins and not many sides now play like that.

 

His legs have gone and he looks fed up to be playing. Even Toni Kroos at 29 at Real Madrid looks to me like he is going through the motions and winding down. What a waste of money but hindsight a great thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nilsson said:

I’m not normally one to criticise our players but I just think he’s finished at this level. I can’t see what he offers or what we’re expecting him to do when he comes on or starts.

 

He’s been at Wednesday nearly 3 years now and how many good games has he had in that time?

 

He’s not the first striker to be finished at 29... David Hirst, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore (and even Francis Jeffers) are a few strikers that were considerably better than Rhodes, scored plenty of goals in their early 20s but were pretty much finished at 29

In reality upfront we now have a 32 yr old now injured (Fletch), a 29 yr old that looks done (Rhodes), a 28 yr old that might be done (Winnall), a 30 year old super sub now starting games (Adthe) and a 29 yr old who hardly plays and has had no form for 2 years (FF). It's actually quite scary what an overhaul it needs.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sMacLean said:

In reality upfront we now have a 32 yr old now injured (Fletch), a 29 yr old that looks done (Rhodes), a 28 yr old that might be done (Winnall), a 30 year old super sub now starting games (Adthe) and a 29 yr old who hardly plays and has had no form for 2 years (FF). It's actually quite scary what an overhaul it needs.

 

And Fletch, Dave and FF are all out of contract in the summer.

 

Fletch and Dave are two strikers that injury permitting could carry on until their mid 30s. They’ve never had any pace anyway but have other attributes. Fletch is still quality and we miss him badly when he’s not playing.

 

Rhodes was never quick but used to have a yard of pace to make a chance. He looks to have lost that now.

 

Debatable whether Winnall has ever been good enough for a top half championship side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, nilsson said:

I’m not normally one to criticise our players but I just think he’s finished at this level. I can’t see what he offers or what we’re expecting him to do when he comes on or starts.

 

He’s been at Wednesday nearly 3 years now and how many good games has he had in that time?

 

He’s not the first striker to be finished at 29... David Hirst, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore (and even Francis Jeffers) are a few strikers that were considerably better than Rhodes, scored plenty of goals in their early 20s but were pretty much finished at 29

When he arrived initially on loan, after a goal vs Brum he showed nothing but presumably we were committed to sign him. It was obvious a mistake was being made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bigsheff said:

Hope he rediscovers something of his old self somehow, somewhere... but sadly it shouldn’t be at Hillsborough. We basically become 10 men when he plays & you just can’t carry players in the championship.

Hes done. Has been for a while. Dont know why people thoughy otherwise. Catastrophic signing for more than one reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sMacLean said:

In reality upfront we now have a 32 yr old now injured (Fletch), a 29 yr old that looks done (Rhodes), a 28 yr old that might be done (Winnall), a 30 year old super sub now starting games (Adthe) and a 29 yr old who hardly plays and has had no form for 2 years (FF). It's actually quite scary what an overhaul it needs.

Well we will be only signing loans or freebies unless we unearth some cheap gems. We wont have money to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Rhodes will come good under Monk and his new strategy. Think Blackburn with Marshall and a top target man thought Jordan fed off so brilliantly.

Scratchcard logic. UTO.

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Sack him. Hes stealing a wage. We can hire a kids entertainer to pat heads for far less. 

The best Jordan Post ever right here ^^^

:tango: That's the way to do it!!...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bloke looks like he is burdened to even try and contribute in an attacking sense. Said it since the bottle of the Hull penalty shootout he isnt interested. Get rid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s got to the stage that if any club comes in for him in January and is willing to sign him on a 18 month contract with no fee involved, we should do the deal. Get the £35k PW wages off our books and allow the player to try and regain some confidence at another club. If Rhodes wants to leave, he should also be prepared to take a wage cut.

 

He looks totally shot here at Wednesday. We really need to get him sold in January and bring a pace option in. Easier said than done as I can’t see many takers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve said it all along, both he and Winnall don’t have the skill set to flourish at this level. The quality of the championship has vastly improved, and I’m afraid those two have been left behind.  It was not that difficult to see, but looking at our recruitment around that time, you’d draw the conclusion, that they hadn’t watched a game for five years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Rhodes will come good under Monk and his new strategy. Think Blackburn with Marshall and a top target man thought Jordan fed off so brilliantly.

 

Ben Marshall.... So good he's a free agent at age 28. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kristmace said:

 

Ben Marshall.... So good he's a free agent at age 28. 

And signing for Salford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for Rhodes especially in games like last night what could he really do, had 2 chances one was too high one was behind him, Wednesday were poor 2nd half stop pinning blame on someone who only ever comes on when we are playing poo or playing in a weakened team we wernt good enough as a team yesterday ya cant blame any of last night on Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve said it all along, both he and Winnall don’t have the skill set to flourish at this level. The quality of the championship has vastly improved, and I’m afraid those two have been left behind.  It was not that difficult to see, but looking at our recruitment around that time, you’d draw the conclusion, that they hadn’t watched a game for five years.

 

Think this captures it well, the Championship is far more competitive than it was 4-5 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...