Jordan Rhodes

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We need to be a bit more proactive in trying to resolve this situation in January Sure, there has to be takers, but if he’s as good as some still believe, we might be able to get him fixed up Wages will probably be an issue, but there might be a club that believes he can do a job similar to the one he did at Norwich, and who could cover his wages. We have to be realistic about a fee though, or maybe we can engineer some sort of swap deal

Norwich wanted to take him off our hands - we refused 

= 40k a week non playing staff member 

Chansiri got some good business done in the summer but not getting JR off the books even for a negligible fee plus wage savings was very silly. 

He's cost us 2m per goal over his time with us and has already cost us 350k in wages this season. 

Also 6 million Owlstalk  words per goal

• Haha 1

It’s really difficult to see who would take him. The whole Norwich thing was bizarre, I couldn’t understand why they might want him, but we should have snapped their hand off. There aren’t many sides in this league, where he would get a starting berth, even if they could afford him. Perhaps one of the league one clubs, maybe Sunderland? Whatever, I think we will have to subsidise his wages. 

The manager doesn’t believe he can do a job from the bench either, preferring to use Winnall in that role. It may be that, if there are no takers for Rhodes, and we are stuck with him, then maybe we should cash in on Winnall  Don’t think there would be too many takers for him either, and we would do well to get our money back there Certainly a league one club, might find Winnall’s wages more manageable Two disastrous signings

Edited by gurujuan

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s really difficult to see who would take him. The whole Norwich thing was bizarre, I couldn’t understand why they might want him, but we should have snapped their hand off. There aren’t many sides in this league, where he would get a starting berth, even if they could afford him. Perhaps one of the league one clubs, maybe Sunderland? Whatever, I think we will have to subsidise his wages. 

The manager doesn’t believe he can do a job from the bench either, preferring to use Winnall in that role. It may be that, if there are no takers for Rhodes, and we are stuck with him, then maybe we should cash in on Winnall  Don’t think there would be too many takers for him either, and we would do well to get our money back there Certainly a league one club, might find Winnall’s wages more manageable Two disastrous signings

A bit harsh on Winnall I think. Was one of top scorers in English leagues when we signed him for very little. Agree Rhodes was a disaster. 

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

28 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

A bit harsh on Winnall I think. Was one of top scorers in English leagues when we signed him for very little. Agree Rhodes was a disaster. 

The problem we had was we signed both when we just needed to sign one of them.

41 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

What I mean is, that neither was right for us. Two players whose attributes are better suited to League One

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The problem we had was we signed both when we just needed to sign one of them.

And Winnall signed about 2 weeks before for around 750k. We then decide to blow our remaining budget on Rhodes. Mental. 

Whether Winnall was more suited to league one or not he was banging goals in for Dingles in championship at the time. 

9 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

And Winnall signed about 2 weeks before for around 750k. We then decide to blow our remaining budget on Rhodes. Mental. 

Whether Winnall was more suited to league one or not he was banging goals in for Dingles in championship at the time. 

True he was, but you could see he wasn’t really championship quality We would struggle to get our money back on Winnall

It seems that for Rhodes to get a game we need the other 3 to be injured which isn't ideal when your playing him 30k a week ....we do need though 4 strikers in the squad though whether the finances will allow us to subsidise a loan move for him in Jan and bring another in is uncertain.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

It seems that for Rhodes to get a game we need the other 3 to be injured which isn't ideal when your playing him 30k a week ....we do need though 4 strikers in the squad though whether the finances will allow us to subsidise a loan move for him in Jan and bring another in is uncertain.

In that case, move Winnall on, and use the loan market to bring in a youngster from a top flight club, preferably somebody with a bit of pace

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

In that case, move Winnall on, and use the loan market to bring in a youngster from a top flight club, preferably somebody with a bit of pace

That would still leave a 30k a week player who wouldn't be getting a game ....ideally getting both out would be the way to go but that's probably wishful thinking ....I just dont see that the sort of club winnall would attract since his injury would be able to pay him what he's on here .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

That would still leave a 30k a week player who wouldn't be getting a game ....ideally getting both out would be the way to go but that's probably wishful thinking ....I just dont see that the sort of club winnall would attract since his injury would be able to pay him what he's on here .

Yep it’s a mess. Goes to show that, sometimes you have to look beyond the goals. Winnall was regularly scoring championship goals for Barnsley, something Joao struggled to do for us. However, one looks like a footballer, and one doesn’t, and that’s why we got £7m for Joao, but would struggle to shift Winnall. Ditto Rhodes

47 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Does it really matter if Rhodes is here taking £30k per week in wages if a) we can afford the money and b) our team continues to perform well without him and keeps on winning games?:Chansiri:

IF this was the case, which I cant believe someone needs to get a grip especially after the abdi debacle 

the amount of wages wasted by this club is criminal especially as the actions taken to sort this out  could place us in sanction 

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

Does it really matter if Rhodes is here taking £30k per week in wages if a) we can afford the money and b) our team continues to perform well without him and keeps on winning games?:Chansiri:

Yes when it costs £40 to buy a ticket.

Guest wilyfox

Huge mistake on Chansiri's part - or whoever was the driving force behind that deal. Always thought Carlos didn't fancy him and was reluctant to play him, and once said he "resisted pressure from upstairs" to play him.

Personally, I feel Rhodes must accept some responsibility for how this has worked out. When Boro went up, they immediately upgraded with Negredo having found out Rhodes could not lead the line as a lone striker. Jordan should have taken that as a sign he needed to get his arse in the gym and get stronger, and change his game slightly so he posed more of a physical challenge. He didn't do it, and now 3yrs on no-one wants him for what he costs.