Jordan Rhodes

On 02/10/2019 at 18:05, DJMortimer said:

I don't believe fans generally (or most pundits for that matter) ever really analyse a striker's performance beyond a superficial level. Their opinions are highly dependent on statistics which can be misleading both positively and negatively. 

Hence why Reach got in the team of the month 

9 minutes ago, vulva said:

Pick him for the next 10 games starting alongside Fletcher. As it stands, getting Rhodes hitting form is our best chance of promotion. 

This is where people get mixed up. 

I have no doubt he’d probably get 5 goals in next 10 games, no doubt whatsoever. 

Playing next to Fletcher, with Harris and Reach out wide. 

However we would only win 2 games if that. 

9 minutes ago, torres said:

This is where people get mixed up. 

I have no doubt he’d probably get 5 goals in next 10 games, no doubt whatsoever. 

Playing next to Fletcher, with Harris and Reach out wide. 

However we would only win 2 games if that. 

But we might win 8. That’s my point. As it stands we aren’t going up. If we get a proven, prolific striker firing again, we might get in the playoffs. It’s worth a gamble. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

The way Monk sets us up relies totally on Fletcher. We are far more defensive, and a little bit more direct. If Fletcher loses form or gets injured we will struggle. 

Im more concerned with injury Flectcher wise. We cant change it now, but as ive said before, we cant be relying on an ageing injury prone striker. Hes decent, but we need options. 

Could that be rhoades?? Personally think he might be a lost cause. Winnell is playing his way back in. Do we have a youngster??? 

21 minutes ago, vulva said:

But we might win 8. That’s my point. As it stands we aren’t going up. If we get a proven, prolific striker firing again, we might get in the playoffs. It’s worth a gamble. 

I would think it highly unlikely that we would win 8. 

The gamble would mean our season could be over in 2 months.

To accommodate Rhodes our team must be so open that we'd get over run by 90% of the teams we play.

If we had 10 other great players then it would be far less of an issue, sadly we don't. We have to work very hard for every point we get with the players we have.

Which means all 11 playing a big part - Rhodes has never done that 

47 minutes ago, vulva said:

Pick him for the next 10 games starting alongside Fletcher. As it stands, getting Rhodes hitting form is our best chance of promotion. 

If Rhodes started next 2 games and results were poor and he didn't score the crowd would scapegoat him.

The last few managers now have not seen enough from him to play him sadly.
We are stuck with an expensive mis fit until his contract runs out.

32 minutes ago, vulva said:

The way Monk sets us up relies totally on Fletcher. We are far more defensive, and a little bit more direct. If Fletcher loses form or gets injured we will struggle. 

That in itself, I find quite depressing

48 minutes ago, vulva said:

We’ve played four games under Monk.

Twice in a 433 and twice in a 442.

I’m not sure there is a “way Monk sets us up” yet. Either he is testing the water, or he might have a varied approach. 

39 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We’ve played four games under Monk.

Twice in a 433 and twice in a 442.

I’m not sure there is a “way Monk sets us up” yet. Either he is testing the water, or he might have a varied approach. 

We are more defensive. Not saying that’s a bad thing btw, as the best teams tend to have the best defence. 

for me if I was Monk I would have told him on Wednesday morning that he was starting on Saturday alongside Fletcher

Winnall started against Everton and missed a series of chances and again on Tuesday missed a vital chance when it was nil nil. 

Nuhui has played 2 sets of 90 minutes in the space of the last week and isn't overly known for his fitness. Also tends to be better used as an impact sub

We are playing a supposedly weaker side at home where we will be expected to dominate and create chances. We should be able to play 2 up top without being dominated in midfield. we should be good enough to get our wide men involved and get quality into the box, as we did at Boro last weekend

If it doesn't workout then so be it he can be cast aside, with FF back for the Cardiff game but I don't think we are loosing too much by having another look with the new manager looking to play a style which is more suited to the way Rhodes has previously scored a boatful of goals 

I understand we could do with another really good striker. So giving someone a run in the team would be good to enable this to happen. But i think we are missing the point and need to look elsewhere. Fletcher is scoring 1 goal every 2 games. On pace for 23 league goals. The midfield need to generate more goals and from wide. We need more runs into the box from midfield to support Fletcher. Yes having 2 upfront scoring 23 goals each would be great, but we can't play 4-4-2 all the time. We need goals from the midfield too.

Edited by tarn owl

4 hours ago, vulva said:

After tomorrow Forestieri is back. I'd much rather he start the next 10 games playing just off of Fletcher than Rhodes.

Not only is he a far far better player but he's not entirely reliant on service (unlike Rhodes) and can make things happen himself. Even when he's not on his game he wins a lot of freekicks around the penalty area and with our record for scoring headers this season, this could be invaluable.

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

After tomorrow Forestieri is back. I'd much rather he start the next 10 games playing just off of Fletcher than Rhodes.

Not only is he a far far better player but he's not entirely reliant on service (unlike Rhodes) and can make things happen himself. Even when he's not on his game he wins a lot of freekicks around the penalty area and with our record for scoring headers this season, this could be invaluable.

Agree. I have been a big critic in the past but we are crying out for someone like Forestieri at the moment. With him behind fletcher and Reach and Harris out wide that is 4 very good attacking options.