Jordan Rhodes

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

To be fair when Jordan Rhodes signed for us he was leading goalscorer in all divisions in last 10 years and still in his 20s.

Not too much of an assumption to make that he was a good finisher.

Which has been my argument forever, looks beyond the numbers.

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

That’s just a noise, and not worthy of my input. 

Aye well just remember, you was wrong to be excited and I was right to be concerned.

Think you should try staying at hone Saturday and playing with your porridge gun

If Fletcher is unavailable on Saturday then perhaps Jordan Rhodes could be given a go.

He has had precious little opportunity since returning from his loan at Norwich.

I know it is unlikely but who knows he might just grab a goal and things could start to turn round for him.

4 hours ago, Ash76 said:

He's never been an outstanding finisher. I did a thread about his finishing on here 2 or 3 years ago which highlighted at his best he converts 1 in 5 and at his worst 1 in 10. If I  remember right I used Hooper as a comparison who was 1 in 3 to 1 in 5.

Since then I've seen no evidence of him being an outstanding finisher.

I don't believe fans generally (or most pundits for that matter) ever really analyse a striker's performance beyond a superficial level. Their opinions are highly dependent on statistics which can be misleading both positively and negatively. 

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I don't believe fans generally (or most pundits for that matter) ever really analyse a striker's performance beyond a superficial level. Their opinions are highly dependent on statistics which can be misleading both positively and negatively. 

Appreciate what you're saying so.

With my own eyes - Based on his time HERE
He's crap, without the stats.

5 hours ago, cookeh said:

Then why was he so pissed about Adthe knocking him out of the way when he had a chance to score against Rotherham?

If he didn't want to score that goal for us, he wouldn't have been annoyed at that situation.

:tango: Listen a player should get picked for what he does on the training ground ,Bullen did not pick him .And Monk does not pick him in first 11 .Why ? You tell me.

42 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You cant really blame fans for that. Very few have the time or the inclination to shift through hours of videos to analyse a player.

But I would expect people employed by the club to do homework on a player before committing a lot of the clubs money to it.

Edited by matthefish2002

44 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Appreciate what you're saying so.

With my own eyes - Based on his time HERE
He's crap, without the stats.

I've been one of his most persistent critics here, so you won't find me disagreeing.

Most people assume I have a problem with Rhodes himself, but I don't really. I've been much more irritated by his fan club who refused to accept what was painfully obvious, preferring instead to cast their eyes back wistfully to numbers from an increasingly distant past and ignore just how little he has contributed on the pitch for us.

18 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

You cant really blame fans for that. Very few have the time or the inclination to shift through hours of videos to analyse a player.

But I would expect people employed by the club to do homework on a player before committing a lot of the clubs money to it.

Obviously you are right about the depth of analysis that can be reasonably expected of fans and the failures of our club to manage it's finances and playing squad effectively.

But I still think it's appropriate to criticise fans for holding really strident opinions about things that are largely based on cliches, guesswork, prejudices, hopes and assumptions. This is perhaps more true for strikers than other players because of the subservience to statistics without much in the way of context.

Edited by DJMortimer

5 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Really hope he can find some form and be the player we hoped we had signed but i really cant see it. He will no doubt "play" out his contract and fall down the leagues. 

Shame as everything i have read and heard about the guy suggests he is a decent bloke. 

when is his contract up? 
he’s a free agent if ever I’ve seen one 

Can we just stop this nonsense and realise once and for all he no longer has anything to offer. 

Fact number 1. Blackburn had Boro’s pants down. 

Fact number 2. Boro were desperate to find any club stupid enough to take him off their hands. 

I asked this before but didn't see an answer. Were we legally obligated to pay the future fee with the intial deal for Rhodes?

I can't believe that is the case, after all some teams might not have the money at that point. Therefore why the hell didn't we just back out of the deal? It was clear as day that he wasn't worth it, he only scored a couple on loan and looked nowhere near a 8-10mil player.

Absolute wee wee tail up of the highest order which has set us back for years. Doubt it was CC's fault as he never really wanted him, so was it purely DC's doing?

Edited by swfc-dan

On 02/10/2019 at 14:00, TrickyTrev said:

You might know something I don’t but I’ve seen zero evidence to show that he’s suffering from a mental health condition.

He knows f*ck all mate.  Rhodes bottles taking a penalty = he has a mental health disorder.

What a load of old pony.

Loan him to Celtic or rangers and let him bag 30 goals a season. Steve Maclean still bags goals up there and he spends his spare time eating werthers originals with his grandkids. Then we can finally put this ‘ can he finish if we supply him  ‘ debate to bed 

There is no doubt that something has caused him to be MUCH less effective at Wednesday than at his three other Championship clubs. Some say he has lost it. Well, if “it” is his ability to score a goal every 180 minutes or so, they are wrong.

Blackburn - goal every 168 minutes

Boro - 193 minutes

Owls - 365 minutes

Based on that surely he has lost it? Obvious isn’t it?

But then how, in his most recent season, did he do this:-

Norwich - goal every 168 minutes 

He clearly has not lost the goal scoring touch. Some of his Norwich goals were vital and worth their weight in gold.

Something has gone very very wrong for him/us at S6. I know (won’t say how) that he feels he was treated very badly under Carlos. I have no reason to believe that is the case under Monk. 

I am not qualified to theorise why a player who can score every two games at Blabkburn, Boro and Norwich scores every 4 games here. But logic suggests it’s not him, it’s not us - it’s a combination of him and us.

After being introduced into the team Boro started him in 13 of their last 17 promotion winning games. OK, at Norwich, Pukki kept him out...we see why. Oh to unearth a Pukki !

The reality is he was an effective starter at one promotion side, Boro, and a very effective late sub at another, Norwich.

Is he quick? Lord no. Is he strong? Not at all. Is he a workhorse? Nope. Does he link play well? Not particularly. 

Does he get into scoring opportunities? Massively yes. His greatest asset.

Does he finish? Apart from under Carlos, yes. 

I am genuinely not his champion. When I watched Hooper and when I watch Fletcher I am in awe and I was/am thrilled they wear our shirt. When I watch Rhodes I don’t get any of that. 

However, what a boost it would be if Rhodes gets a goal every 180 minutes for us this season. Whether he starts or comes on as a sub, if he can be a source of goals it could make our season. Fletcher will miss games and minutes. Neither Winnall nor Nuhiu are gold-dust. Forestieri is not a CF. 

Looking at the present. On Tuesday Rhodes played 22 minutes and got himself 3 good scoring opportunities. Between them Nuhiu and Winnall played 158 minutes and had 3 good chances. I had all ten fingers and toes crossed for him to score. A confident firing Rhodes would be a fantastic addition.

• Thanks 1

Guest Grez Bez

I think he's getting bullied or doesn't have any pals at Wednesday. If you are getting criticised your head drops and you don't want the ball..

Sounds daft but that's a big thing in football. 

8 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I think he's getting bullied or doesn't have any pals at Wednesday. If you are getting criticised your head drops and you don't want the ball..

Sounds daft but that's a big thing in football. 

You really think he’s being bullied lol