Jordan Rhodes

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

He was a good paper signing, but I don't remember ever seeing him play before he joined us.

Once I'd seen him play (for us, which is a bit late) it became apparent pretty quick that he was slow and very one footed. Poor scouting imo.

He's been his most effective when he has a work horse next time him. they do the dirty work, he spreads the ball about. worked for Burnley (Marney/Barton) and Wolves.

Plus age was against him when we got him ...

8 minutes ago, cookeh said:

The thing i find weird is that people seem to be pissed at Rhodes that we signed him.. I don't get that at all.

Blame the manager, or the chairman.. whatever.. but to blame the player for wanting to play for us?  Bizarre.

I think a lot of people annoyance at Jordan Rhodes himself started when he refused to take a penalty v Huddersfield in the play offs.

Still find is bizarre now why he didn't want to take one being a regular penalty taker in his career.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

I think a lot of people annoyance at Jordan Rhodes himself started when he refused to take a penalty v Huddersfield in the play offs.

Still find is bizarre now why he didn't want to take one being a regular penalty taker in his career.

But even with that.. there will have been a reason.

Whether he just didn't feel in the right place to take one and didn't want to risk missing it.

or if he'd taken a knock in the game and it was bothering him, and he thought it might affect him in taking it.

We don't know why he didn't take one.. but for some reason people just assume the worst.

One thing is for certain, he didn't not take one to try and hurt our chances.

The only reason he would have ever not taken one is because he thought the team would be better off if someone else took it.

And i will never understand people being pissed at a player for that.

15 minutes ago, cookeh said:

The thing i find weird is that people seem to be pissed at Rhodes that we signed him.. I don't get that at all.

Blame the manager, or the chairman.. whatever.. but to blame the player for wanting to play for us?  Bizarre.

I think it is those that thought he was any good in the first place and feel a bit let down by him 

3 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

You might as well have 10 players on the pitch when Rhodes is in the side.

His confidence is shot, he’s a shadow of the player he once was and he brings absolutely nothing to the team.

It's a fashionable complaint, but I don't think you've watched him playing for us tbh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Whether he just didn't feel in the right place to take one and didn't want to risk missing it.

or if he'd taken a knock in the game and it was bothering him, and he thought it might affect him in taking it.

We don't know why he didn't take one.. but for some reason people just assume the worst.

The only reason he would have ever not taken one is because he thought the team would be better off if someone else took it.

I have been accused on here of being obsessed with players wages (With some justification), but Jordan Rhodes is a £8m forward on a reported £40k per week.

That is why people are pissed off because he bottled a pen.

If he is 'not in the right place' to take a pen well my message to him is get in the right place then that's what you are paid fortunes to do.

He also turned down taking a pen in the shoot out for Huddersfield in the play off final v Sheffield United in 2012 despite being the main penalty taker in normal time.

6 minutes ago, cookeh said:

It wasn’t just the penalty, Rhodes coming on cost us that game and probably promotion. 

Fletcher had just scored and the Huddersfield defence were struggling to cope with him.

Rhodes replaced Fletch after 60 minutes, was on the field for around an hour and (as with most of his Wednesday career) contributed absolutely nothing to the game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

If he is 'not in the right place' to take a pen well my message to him is get in the right place then that's what you are paid fortunes to do.

You show a fantastic understanding of how mental health works.

10 minutes ago, nilsson said:

It wasn’t just the penalty, Rhodes coming on cost us that game and probably promotion. 

Fletcher had just scored and the Huddersfield defence were struggling to cope with him.

Rhodes replaced Fletch after 60 minutes, was on the field for around an hour and (as with most of his Wednesday career) contributed absolutely nothing to the game.

I thought Fletcher came off injured in that game?
Also Rhodes did almost score in that game when he turned a defender and made himself a chance at the Leppings Lane end. Sadly he shot straight at the keeper.

The demand every transfer window for Rhodes baffled me. Like with McGugan, I thought we could do much better for the money.

I really don't know what the solution is. Would Norwich still take him? If not he'll see out his contract here and likely do a Hooper and end up spending his time doing other things. I just don't see him dropping down a level or accepting a significant drop in wages.

12 minutes ago, nilsson said:

So.. blame the manager, no?

Should Rhodes have refused to come on? What would fans have thought if he'd refused to come on?

See what I'm getting at? This isn't a reason to be pissed at Rhodes.

1 minute ago, Ash76 said:

Would Norwich still take him?

Doubtful.  Not unless they get relegated, in which case you would expect a big club to come in for Pukki and for them to need to replace him. They might turn to Rhodes in that instance, since they know him and liked him.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have sympathy with someone who has had mental health problems but has it ever been said this applies to Jordan Rhodes?

Footballers who talk about mental health in public during their playing careers do not fare too well.

Ask Danny Rose: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/danny-rose-crazy-tottenham-transfer-mental-health-documentary-a8917786.html

And that's ignoring the sh*t you'd guarantee you'd get from opposition fans for every minute you played. Football fans are not a sympathetic bunch when it comes to their own players, and when it comes to opposition players they can be downright a**holes.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if at least a handful of the squad weren't regularly seeing a therapist. Rhodes and Winnall probably should be. Nando, to help handle his suspension and how he might worry about how he's perceived now. Palmer due to the stick he was getting for the last few years. Fox 100%. Lee to help keep his head up returning from injury. Murphy, he looks a too tense and like he's trying too hard, his game would probably benefit from it.

And that's just the obvious ones that have footballing reasons for it. We don't know what their personal lives are like.. Any one of them could be in a Heard/Depp situation, and that's going to affect them on the pitch too.

We know for sure that Rhodes is universally talked about as being a model professional and a nice guy.

And playing for the club his dad worked for.

He's not going to turn down a chance to help us to succeed unless he thought he wouldn't score.

He did what he thought was best for the club. To me there's no question about that.

40 minutes ago, cookeh said:

It's a fashionable complaint, but I don't think you've watched him playing for us tbh.

In fairness you could have watched his last half a dozen appearances for Wednesday and still claimed to have never seen him play.

The guy is anonymous for the majority of his appearances and you quite often forget he’s on the pitch, he brings absolutely nothing to the team.

10 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Footballers who talk about mental health in public during their playing careers do not fare too well.

Ask Danny Rose: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/danny-rose-crazy-tottenham-transfer-mental-health-documentary-a8917786.html

And that's ignoring the sh*t you'd guarantee you'd get from opposition fans for every minute you played. Football fans are not a sympathetic bunch when it comes to their own players, and when it comes to opposition players they can be downright a**holes.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if at least a handful of the squad weren't regularly seeing a therapist. Rhodes and Winnall probably should be. Nando, to help handle his suspension and how he might worry about how he's perceived now. Palmer due to the stick he was getting for the last few years. Fox 100%. Lee to help keep his head up returning from injury. Murphy, he looks a too tense and like he's trying too hard, his game would probably benefit from it.

And that's just the obvious ones that have footballing reasons for it. We don't know what their personal lives are like.. Any one of them could be in a Heard/Depp situation, and that's going to affect them on the pitch too.

We know for sure that Rhodes is universally talked about as being a model professional and a nice guy.

And playing for the club his dad worked for.

He's not going to turn down a chance to help us to succeed unless he thought he wouldn't score.

He did what he thought was best for the club. To me there's no question about that.

Thats all well and good but do we know Jordan Rhodes was having mental health problems when he didn't want to take a penalty v Huddersfield and also in the play off final for Huddersfield v Sheffield United in 2012?

If he was suffering from mental health problems then he has my sympathy but you are just assuming that?

19 minutes ago, cookeh said:

So.. blame the manager, no?

Should Rhodes have refused to come on? What would fans have thought if he'd refused to come on?

See what I'm getting at? This isn't a reason to be pissed at Rhodes.

When you’ve paid that fee and those wages for a player, you’d expect them to be quite good?

A quality striker replacing Fletcher that night (or Fletcher staying on the field for 90 minutes) would have seen us go on to win the game.