Jordan Rhodes

8 hours ago, nilsson said:

And Fletch, Dave and FF are all out of contract in the summer.

Fletch and Dave are two strikers that injury permitting could carry on until their mid 30s. They’ve never had any pace anyway but have other attributes. Fletch is still quality and we miss him badly when he’s not playing.

Rhodes was never quick but used to have a yard of pace to make a chance. He looks to have lost that now.

Debatable whether Winnall has ever been good enough for a top half championship side.

Indeed.

You buy before their peak, not at or after then wonder why you can’t get rid. Rhodes should have been allowed to leave for a negligible fee.

His signing in the first place though is and always will be the greatest sign post of the DC era. Terrible nonsensical signing.

5 minutes ago, OWLS about that? said:

What made me laugh last night on commentary was when he said "he's been prolific scoring goals everywhere he goes".... He might want to check his goals at Wednesday and Middlesbrough..... Dont think 'prolific' comes close lol

Boro 1 in 4, so that just his record here in question but hay ho dont let the facts stop the witch hunt.

14 minutes ago, vulva said:

I thought it was a brilliant signing at the time, and just what we needed. 

I thought it was a show in intent at the time and a fantastic signing although did think signing Winnall as well the same week was a bit much.

But in my defence I trusted the club to know what it was doing in regard to FFP / P&S and it had done its homework, sadly that trust was a misplaced and we suffered for it ever since.

Edited by matthefish2002

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I thought it was a show in intent at the time and a fantastic signing but did think signing Winnall as well the same week was a bit much.

But in my defence I trusted the club to know what it was doing in regard to FFP / P&S and it had done its homework, sadly that trust was a misplaced and we suffered for it ever since.

No disrespect, but I think you must have been blinkered by what he’d done previously, I really don’t believe it was that difficult to see that he would struggle here, or any other club for that matter Even three years ago, the game had moved on from the one where Jordan thrived.  I know I’ve always come across as very anti Rhodes, but I too would have been delighted , had we signed him five years ago. It’s a shame that he hasn’t been able to adapt his game, but unfortunately, some players can’t 

Edited by gurujuan

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No disrespect, but I think you must have been blinkered by what he’d done previously, I really don’t believe it was that difficult to see that he would struggle here, or any other club for that matter Even three years ago, the game had moved on from the one where Jordan thrived.  I know I’ve always come across as very anti Rhodes, but I too would have been delighted , had we signed him five years ago. It’s a shame that he hasn’t been able to adapt his game, but unfortunately, some players can’t 

No disrespect at all. I agree I just saw Jordan Rhodes was signing and knew he was greater goal scorer outside the Premier league in recent times and why wouldn't I be excited.

I agree with hindsight the evidence was already there he was past his best and the club didn't look enough into that when he signed.

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No disrespect, but I think you must have blinkered by what he’d done previously, I really don’t believe it was that difficult to see that he would struggle here, or any other club for that matter Even three years ago, the game had moved on from the one where Jordan thrived.  I know I’ve always come across as very anti Rhodes, but I too would have been delighted , had we signed him five years ago. It’s a shame that he hasn’t been able to adapt his game, but unfortunately, some players can’t 

Did you say it at the time?

9 hours ago, OohAahGuyWhittingham said:

He's had more than the benefit of the doubt and proven he can't perform at this level any more.

Not recently he hasn't .. the odd 15m-25minute cameo isn't enough to prove yourself ..

We can all argue the FOR and AGAINST Rhodes until the cows come home.

I can't comment on the last couple of games, haven't seen him

I still believe that to get the best out of him, you need him as the focal point. Think Benteke at Villa, Lukaku at Everton, Bent at Charlton etc with some wide players pumping in balls to him and possibly a rapid player at the side of him drawing 2 players in freeing up space for Rhodes

HOWEVER

I get the arguements about him not being up to scratch, the games moved on, it not working here etc and needing to be shipped out .. I do get all that fo show...

One thing, someone mentioned earlier about our attacking line up worries me, as well as the lack of pace, is our aging strike force. No-one young, rapid, direct, fresh, low injury prone level with spunk and vigour ...

BIG rebuild in the summer to bring in some fresh, young pups ....

Does anyone know for certain when his contract expires?

I thought it was June 2021 but according to this site he’s out of contract at the end of the season (along with FF, Fletch, Hutch, Pelupessy, Winnall, Fox, Atdhe, Dawson, Lee and Baker)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/vertragsende/verein/1035/vertragsendeJahr/2020

I was very anti Rhodes signing too at the time. He didn't look the same player at Boro post his Blackburn injury.

Of course for a few mil I would've taken the gamble, but for 10mil you bloody better be getting someone smack in or just approaching their peak. Rhodes was past it so was utter insanity to pay that.

He didn't even impress on initial loan and yet we still paid up, it was clear it would be a catastrophic signing then. Are these loan with future fee agreements legally binding or did we just feel it was still worth doing? If its the latter...what flipping idiots we must have had running transfer business!

The thing I find most alarming about the Jordan Rhodes signing was it was obvious Carlos Carvahaul the coach at the time wasn't that keen on him.

Every club gets transfers wrong from time to time so I wouldn't have a go at the club too much if Jordan Rhodes was the only one but add in Abdi, Joost Van Aken and some others its really has been a anchor to our ambitious to get promoted. 

Looking at his post-Huddersfield career it was clear that his form, impact and value(!) were on the wane..... it didn't need hindsight.

Those responsible for incoming transfers at the time were clearly in dereliction of their basic duties ( I hope it was nothing more sinister than that but football is a commodity/brand these days and no longer a sport and there are quite a few football equivalents of Fred Goodwin being drawn in, resulting in some clubs going the way of RBS)

As a human being, I feel for Rhodes. He's not here for a free lunch as some may think. He has every appearance of being clinically depressed and and if that is the case the club should be on to it and ensure he gets treatment.... part of which could be a subsidised loan to Chesterfield or some similar club which may help him reconnect.

Edited by Charles Clegg
poor grammar!

42 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The thing I find most alarming about the Jordan Rhodes signing was it was obvious Carlos Carvahaul the coach at the time wasn't that keen on him.

Every club gets transfers wrong from time to time so I wouldn't have a go at the club too much if Jordan Rhodes was the only one but add in Abdi, Joost Van Aken and some others its really has been a anchor to our ambitious to get promoted. 

Abdi, Van Aken, Jones were poor signings but you can argue they were positions we needed. 

Just bought the wrong type of player.

Rhodes/striker we didn't need at all - which infuriates me even more

Just now, torres said:

The thing i find weird is that people seem to be pissed at Rhodes that we signed him.. I don't get that at all.

Blame the manager, or the chairman.. whatever.. but to blame the player for wanting to play for us?  Bizarre.

1 minute ago, torres said:

Abdi, Van Aken, Jones were poor signings but you can argue they were positions we needed. 

Just bought the wrong type of player.

With Abdi as well, no-one knew he'd turn out to be an utter crock .. I thought Jones was a decent signing as well but just how we set up didn't suit him ... too lethargic and no midfield monster next to him

Just now, Hack-Abusi said:

I thought Jones was a decent signing as well but just how we set up didn't suit him ... too lethargic and no midfield monster next to him

He was a good paper signing, but I don't remember ever seeing him play before he joined us.

Once I'd seen him play (for us, which is a bit late) it became apparent pretty quick that he was slow and very one footed. Poor scouting imo.