EFL have fresh concerns over Hillsborough sale

8 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

No im sure your not alone, it has to be a concern to any rational fan of not just Wednesday but any other mid to lower prem/ championship club. But unfortunately football in this country is broken to a point where the rich get richer and the rest recklessly remortgage themselves to the brink in the hope

of sharing some of the crumbs from the top table. I don’t blame Chansiri for selling the stadium to get round ffp, he’s here for one reason to get us to the premier league as quick as possible and make some mega money in the process (Along with most other championship owners). 

But what can we as average fans do? Boycott? Protest? Support to the death?Or do we just get taken along for the ride and hope that one year we will finally strike lucky before it all goes bust?

I think one things for sure ours and the current championship financial model, although one of the worlds most competitive and unpredictable leagues, is not sustainable.

yep  i tried to avoid personal criticism you have to do what you have to do especially if initially derby seemingly got away with it 

9 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Back in time, most football clubs were owned by local people, often with shares spread across their supporters. It was a game supported mainly by working and middle class people and the UK game reflected a country where the laws and rules of the game had mainly been created and documented. The players in Divisions 1 and 2 were paid just slightly above the average wage and lived in the local community and aspired to a semi-detached house and a family car.

If someone had written a fictional novel, let's say around 1975, about a football world where an Australian media mogul had offered the 1st Division a fortune for TV rights (which supporters would pay handsomely to watch), where most clubs became owned by rich non-UK people with questionable fortunes, where all the regular players in Division 1 were multi-millionaires with most not born in the UK and where clubs which failed and were relegated were paid handsomely for their failure - then the novel would have been laughed at as being so far fetched as to be unbelievable.

And yet this is where we are now and beyond. There is so much money swilling around the Premier League that it is almost impossible to trace where it all comes from and who is getting what. Arrangements where owners of football clubs sponsor their own teams at rates which are very difficult to substantiate on the open market and even sell the stadia which they already own back to their own family are no longer unusual. 

The FFP system in the EFL and the equivalent in the Premier League are poor and ineffective attempts belatedly to regulate what has happened. Gate open and horse left so long ago that it has probably died of old age.

Our club is forever in catch-up mode and I doubt that it will ever be the force it once was and we are all dreaming it will become again. I believe the sport has been totally corrupted, never again to return in its original form.

Thanks for that, saved me writing it all! Second to last sentence applies to over 80 clubs. Without astronomical amounts of money no club can break into the top six, ever.  We are the last club outside the top division to win a major trophy aren't we ? 

The top clubs are so influential that they can break the rules with impunity. 

You're right, football is rotten to the core, and the game I grew up with and loved is over for good.  There will be no more fairy tales for clubs like us. 

I'm very sad about it but there is no way out, I'm just glad I have the memories of talking to John Fantham, George Best, Terry Cooper, Noel Cantwell etc etc outside football grounds without them having headphones on and being ushered away by security people. Running onto muddy pitches after games to ask the likes of Albert Scanlon, John Atyeo and Stan Anderson for their autographs. Sorry getting carried away now.  Happy Days.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Back in time, most football clubs were owned by local people, often with shares spread across their supporters. It was a game supported mainly by working and middle class people and the UK game reflected a country where the laws and rules of the game had mainly been created and documented. The players in Divisions 1 and 2 were paid just slightly above the average wage and lived in the local community and aspired to a semi-detached house and a family car.

If someone had written a fictional novel, let's say around 1975, about a football world where an Australian media mogul had offered the 1st Division a fortune for TV rights (which supporters would pay handsomely to watch), where most clubs became owned by rich non-UK people with questionable fortunes, where all the regular players in Division 1 were multi-millionaires with most not born in the UK and where clubs which failed and were relegated were paid handsomely for their failure - then the novel would have been laughed at as being so far fetched as to be unbelievable.

And yet this is where we are now and beyond. There is so much money swilling around the Premier League that it is almost impossible to trace where it all comes from and who is getting what. Arrangements where owners of football clubs sponsor their own teams at rates which are very difficult to substantiate on the open market and even sell the stadia which they already own back to their own family are no longer unusual. 

The FFP system in the EFL and the equivalent in the Premier League are poor and ineffective attempts belatedly to regulate what has happened. Gate open and horse left so long ago that it has probably died of old age.

Our club is forever in catch-up mode and I doubt that it will ever be the force it once was and we are all dreaming it will become again. I believe the sport has been totally corrupted, never again to return in its original form.

Well said my friend.  

52 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

I’m just bored to f@@k of money ruling football.

If the people that bought Man City had bought us, we would be on of the ‘big six’ and they would be lucky to be in the Premiership.

The game is well and truly f@@ked. 

Yes it is, greed and money have corrupted and ruined it, like a lot of other things.

2 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

If the contract was in place before the 2018 accounts were signed off by the director, are we not actually required under accounting rules to adjust this in the 2018 accounts on the basis that it is a material post balance sheet event?

I'm sure the real issue here is about the valuation being being at arms length.

The point is the circumstances should be in place at the 31st July 2018. So there should be a binding contract in place at the year end date for it to be included. 

To give an example my company year end is 31st Dec 18. I have until 30th Sept 19 to file them. If I owned my office building i couldn't decide today that i had really sold this pre 31st December. 

However if I had exchanged contracts with a 3rd party at that date (31st Dec) but it was conditional on something, let's go random say that Brexit will be finalised.

The transaction  won't complete and thus be registered at the Land Registry until that condition is fulfilled. 

I would probably show that in the accounts as a disposal even though legal completion is not done.

It really depends on that contract and the conditions. 

On 24/09/2019 at 23:12, mkowl said:

Unfortunately accounting rules say it has to be at open market value, and the EFL rules permit them to adjust any transactions that aren't eg sponsorship

OMV badly affected as ground's in a flood zone now and zoned only for sport and leisure planning.

Also depends on a willing buyer and a company that entered it any contract well before actual sale is forced.   

But how dare EFL raise these questions in WednesdayWorld where we pay more to watch Fox than you do Liverpool, where Hooper's better than Vardy for similar price, ditto McGuire v Van Aken, you buy a club losing £1 million per year then mis -manage to £30 million in red annually, where your agent also represents your manager and some players, you pay £800, 000 per game for some Watford has been and also put some geezer on bench for £20,000 and virtually never play him. Finally, you employ a good manager but under investigation by 3 clubs for allegedly inflating transfer fees with his agent mate and now your new manager can't find his laptop. And you don't attend a vital safety meeting that's now causing loyal fans loads of problems.  

No , EFL should be investigated for daring to question such a well -run outfit.

What next, letting Bin Laden fund clubs?

1 hour ago, fred mciver said:

OMV badly affected as ground's in a flood zone now and zoned only for sport and leisure planning.

Also depends on a willing buyer and a company that entered it any contract well before actual sale is forced.   

But how dare EFL raise these questions in WednesdayWorld where we pay more to watch Fox than you do Liverpool, where Hooper's better than Vardy for similar price, ditto McGuire v Van Aken, you buy a club losing £1 million per year then mis -manage to £30 million in red annually, where your agent also represents your manager and some players, you pay £800, 000 per game for some Watford has been and also put some geezer on bench for £20,000 and virtually never play him. Finally, you employ a good manager but under investigation by 3 clubs for allegedly inflating transfer fees with his agent mate and now your new manager can't find his laptop. And you don't attend a vital safety meeting that's now causing loyal fans loads of problems.  

Don't you ever get bored with writing such complete nonsense?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

I have not read up on the Bin laden family for quite some time, but I seem to remember that they are a well to do and well respected family, both in business and community, they just had one son who chose a different path.  Are you suggesting that all the Bin Laden family are "not to be trusted" or that their money is dirty?

Edited by Striggy
added comment

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, Offside_Owl said:

They had, but we got about £7m. Pre-bonanza TV deal.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Do you know if it's true that most of our players had contracts allowing them to leave for free if we got relegated. I seem to remember we lost 10 our our first 11 that summer.

1 hour ago, Striggy said:

I have not read up on the Bin laden family for quite some time, but I seem to remember that they are a well to do and well respected family, both in business and community, they just had one son who chose a different path.  Are you suggesting that all the Bin Laden family are "not to be trusted" or that their money is dirty?

I'd have a read mate. Osama's terrorism funding came from this family 's construction work and some are currently convicted of bribery and corruption, plus their nephew  - Osama's son - has just been topped by Americans for running his Dad's army.

2 hours ago, roaminowl said:

Don't you ever get bored with writing such complete nonsense?

Rarely get bored about Owls except sat in South Stand watching a QPR kid on two bob a week run rings round our midfield millionaires all game , even without getting outta third gear (and that when they gave us a goal start). Then , their young centre forward - who Chansiri should have got on loan in Summer - in a good technical and tactical display urinates on our defence, where Hector should have been (who Chansiri can't now afford after years of flushing dosh down bog).

However, I do get angry when I see how our clubs being run and see why we have lost 20% of crowd in 2 years, are now down to last 23,000 (while Leeds gone from 19,000 to 35,000 in same period).   And we need 10 points above safety cos EFL and Boro Chairman are coming this season. £23 million to £60 million stadium valuation indeed.That's BOJO land.

3 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

I'd have a read mate. Osama's terrorism funding came from this family 's construction work and some are currently convicted of bribery and corruption, plus their nephew  - Osama's son - has just been topped by Americans for running his Dad's army.

Rarely get bored about Owls except sat in South Stand watching a QPR kid on two bob a week run rings round our midfield millionaires all game , even without getting outta third gear (and that when they gave us a goal start). Then , their young centre forward - who Chansiri should have got on loan in Summer - in a good technical and tactical display urinates on our defence, where Hector should have been (who Chansiri can't now afford after years of flushing dosh down bog).

However, I do get angry when I see how our clubs being run and see why we have lost 20% of crowd in 2 years, are now down to last 23,000 (while Leeds gone from 19,000 to 35,000 in same period).   And we need 10 points above safety cos EFL and Boro Chairman are coming this season. £23 million to £60 million stadium valuation indeed.That's BOJO land.

The immediate Bin laden family number 600+, are you tarring them all with the same brush? Accept his son though, but doubt he will be funding any football teams.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Guest Bulgaria

Knowing our luck, some boffin from the EFL who is an expert botanist, will come to have a chat with DC and spot Japanese knot weed growing behind the south stand and tell him Hillsborough is worth 2 grand.

13 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Knowing our luck, some boffin from the EFL who is an expert botanist, will come to have a chat with DC and spot Japanese knot weed growing behind the south stand and tell him Hillsborough is worth 2 grand.

cue michael the bitter blade planting some 

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Can't be arrsed to read, probably more unsubstantiated bullshine.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2019 at 17:24, @owlstalk said:

The English Football League has asked Sheffield Wednesday to explain why a £38 million profit for the “sale” of Hillsborough, which enabled them to avoid sanctions for breaching strict financial regulations, was detailed in their 2018 accounts when Land Registry documents date the purchase to almost 12 months later.

Wednesday are among a number of clubs under scrutiny for exploiting a loophole that has allowed them to remain compliant with the EFL’s Profit and Sustainability rules by essentially buying the stadium from themselves.

But ahead of what could be a tense EFL clubs meeting on Thursday, with the row between Middlesbrough, Derby County and the EFL expected to escalate, The Times has learned that fresh concerns have been raised about paperwork that has been submitted…

Its a fair question

On 25/09/2019 at 01:01, Westfield Owl said:

As a fanbase, we can come up with all the anti-EFL conspiracies we can think of.

But the time it took the club to release our accounts in the summer speaks for itself.  I knew something was off from a very early stage this summer.

The boom-and-bust, short-term thinking of the early Chansiri years is coming to bite us.  He gambled with our club’s future and now we, the fans are feeling the pinch of his overspending on tripe Doyen Group signings.

The saddest thing is that when some of us queried the signings of Rhodes, Abdi and the second-XI of players that Carvalhal froze out of the first team picture, we were shouted down by the Chansiri admirers, who praised Delphon’s every move.  Some of those aggressors will still refuse to accept that he’s made mistakes.

"Some of us queried the signings of Rhodes and Abdi"?

This forum was creaming itself when Rhodes signed.

And Abdi was widely regarded as the best midfielder in the Championship before he arrived at Hillsborough.