Midfield..............

23 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

They also all picked fox, palmer, nuhui, Lee, reach and Tom Lees. Maybe it's about who is available rather than who they rate. Bet you haven't slagged any of those though have you? Before you say it monk hasn't picked fox, but he will do. Maybe you might be wrong. 

Palmer's been pretty solid since Jos left, he was terrible under Jos.

I don't rate Morgan Fox, he isn't a bad defender but he's too careless in possession.

I also don't rate Nuhiu and don't think he's a top half Championship forward, however, he's awkward to play against and he's got a purpose/role in the squad.

Kieran Lee is/was class, injuries have held him back.

Adam Reach could be a quality footballer, he's got everything apart from aggression that is needed at the highest level.

Tom Lees is one of the best CB's in the Championship.

Not really sure where this is going but Bannan is seen as one of the best midfield players at this level, by people who know a bit more about football than Peacock on Owlstalk.

On 23/09/2019 at 16:51, peacock1961 said:

Wrote after the team news came out on Saturday that we had the same midfield as 4 years ago, good or bad?

Think we have tightened up at the back and have good cover should form dip or we get a number of injuries. The wingers are doing ok and again we have cover and Fletch has a reasonable back up with Adthe and winnall (wish we could have kept Joao though).

Its the midfield, static, old and predictable. Seemingly little penetration or assistance to the front players. Our hands are tied somewhat but we've got to have some sort of option, definitely the lad from QPR has to be given a chance and maybe swapping Iorfa and Hutchinson around might be an idea. Mr Monk has to try something as bannan/lee/Hutch hasn't really succeeded in four years and is unlikely to as they all are get nearer their sell by dates.

Something needs to change if were going to do owt this year.  

What he needs to try is either playing Bannan more advanced or dropping him.

Hutch is key and has to play, was sorely missed tonight.

Lee is coming back from 2 years out, he’s gonna he hit and miss for a while.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Palmer's been pretty solid since Jos left, he was terrible under Jos.

I don't rate Morgan Fox, he isn't a bad defender but he's too careless in possession.

I also don't rate Nuhiu and don't think he's a top half Championship forward, however, he's awkward to play against and he's got a purpose/role in the squad.

Kieran Lee is/was class, injuries have held him back.

Adam Reach could be a quality footballer, he's got everything apart from aggression that is needed at the highest level.

Tom Lees is one of the best CB's in the Championship.

Not really sure where this is going but Bannan is seen as one of the best midfield players at this level, by people who know a bit more about football than Peacock on Owlstalk.

righty oh.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

What he needs to try is either playing Bannan more advanced or dropping him.

Hutch is key and has to play, was sorely missed tonight.

Lee is coming back from 2 years out, he’s gonna he hit and miss for a while.

this exactly, Bannan needs to be further forward, but for some reason he always reverts to sweeper...................why

20 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

this exactly, Bannan needs to be further forward, but for some reason he always reverts to sweeper...................why

A sweeper is a player that sweeps behind the defensive line, very rarely seen in modern football because the change in offside rule pretty much eliminates the need for one.

I think you mean the anchor, an old fashioned term for the number 4 or CDM.

Bannan is our most creative midfield player, every team tries to get their creative players in space so they can do some damage, why do you think Bannan drops deeper??

Bannan pretty much plays the 8, box to box but with the freedom to roam to find the space.

If you have any other questions, give me a shout.

Edited by Sgt Wednesday

Thanks Sgt, I was a number 4 myself as a kid. Much as I like Bannan as a footballer he infuriates me. I want him up there outside the box. Goals against Huddersfield as an example. I want our centre halves to be the ones who bring the ball forward or make passes and for hutch and Bannan to do their proper jobs in offensive play. Other teams do this. 

I've been close to the pitch at many away games and Bannans interaction with team mates is not productive, mistakes are never his fault, he slags other players off to the point of bullying and demands that every moves goes through him when there are better options. He is skillful and he needs to use his gifts in a productive way in their half. 

Have we ever scored a goal from one of his pirouettes in our half? 

I played football for forty years, some of those at a good and bunged level. I've watched for even longer, I have a proffesional knowledge of what makes teams achieve, but if I do need further help on the matter I will seek your advice. And by the way he does not play the old no 8 role. He is a 4.