Midfield..............

3 minutes ago, David1867 said:

You obviously haven't seen Barry Bannan and Kieran Lee play together then...... 

I’ve seen enough of them to know, they’re both in the Championship for a reason.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I know.

But to say that because Wallace-Lee-Hutchinson-Bannan in a 442 didn’t quite get us promoted, Reach-Lee-Hutchinson-Bannan-Harris can’t, is plain wrong.

Even if you accept that two out of Lee, Bannan and Hutch isnt good enough (btw I disagree - I think they can be), why does it follow that all three playing together doesn’t work?

Because for four years it hasn't, and they are four years older. My original point was that midfield is our weak link, and it was in the play off final. Just not good enough. 

5 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Because for four years it hasn't, and they are four years older. My original point was that midfield is our weak link, and it was in the play off final. Just not good enough. 

Reach and Harris weren’t in the final.

Im not trying to be a smart-arse. It’s a very different “midfield” now, compared to Carlos playing Bannan LM, leaving a Lee-Hutch duo to provide creativity and a defensive shield.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Reach and Harris weren’t in the final.

Im not trying to be a smart-arse. It’s a very different “midfield” now, compared to Carlos playing Bannan LM, leaving a Lee-Hutch duo to provide creativity and a defensive shield.

Jeez, 3 out of our 4 midfielders in a 442 are now 3 out of a 3 in a 433. They did not win a play off final and did not produce on Saturday four years later. Get over it they are not good enough.

Hutch is a warrior to most and I actually rate him, but to other's he is not mobile enough and a walking yellow card. K Lee has suffered injuries and will never be the same player, yet he would be in my top ten players that I've seen in my fifty years coming to Hillsborough. Bannan is a god to some on here, but I think he is probably the most over rated player in that same fifty years, runs round a lot and scores an average of two goals a year. They are quite simply not good enough anymore to get us to the promised land.

We need to accept this and move on, I think monk will.

We change the midfield or we do not succeed. 

• Like 2

Luongo will come good, we have seen he is very capable but Hutch, Bannan and Lee are preferred at the moment, we need a squad and Luongo is a very good midfield back up.The Championship season is a long one, we need bodies and capable ones.

We have lacked pace for years, since JJ, Antonio then Helan, this season we have it. 

1 minute ago, peacock1961 said:

Jeez, 3 out of our 4 midfielders in a 442 are now 3 out of a 3 in a 433. They did not win a play off final and did not produce on Saturday four years later. Get over it they are not good enough.

Hutch is a warrior to most and I actually rate him, but to other's he is not mobile enough and a walking yellow card. K Lee has suffered injuries and will never be the same player, yet he would be in my top ten players that I've seen in my fifty years coming to Hillsborough. Bannan is a god to some on here, but I think he is probably the most over rated player in that same fifty years, runs round a lot and scores an average of two goals a year. They are quite simply not good enough anymore to get us to the promised land.

We need to accept this and move on, I think monk will.

We change the midfield or we do not succeed. 

Carlos, Jos, Bullen x2, Bruce and Monk have seen Bannan to be a very important part of our team/squad, maybe its you that's wrong.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

No. Fulham played with ONE forward.

They had 3 in the middle, not two.

You don’t think we got a grip on the middle? Fair dos. But we had 7 or 8 decent chances. They had two. Perhaps our midfield executed Monk’s plan pretty well?

Watch the highlights and look if Bannan was awful. Like when he threaded Reach thru with a divine pass out right for the Fletcher header. Or when he put it on Murphy’s head on the six yard box, or when he shot narrowly over from Fletcher’s head back.

I agree with you that Luongo needs a look at. Right now I’m not convinced Lee is ready. Perhaps a Luongo Hutchinson Bannan midfield at Boro would be a good idea.

But let’s not forget how the 3-man midfield that you decry has done:-

P7. W4. D1. L2. GF10. GA5. (And only 3 were homes)

Thats a very decent return.

Obviously I’ve left out the QPR debacle where our 442 was suicide.

"No" Last time I checked Bobby Reid was a forward. 

Stats can be twisted to whatever argument you want... However I would suggest getting a grip on the midfield would be better demonstrated by how you kept the ball, remind me what possession percentage we had. 

Ahh that wonderful bannan pass to Murphy, at the second attempt when he cocked up an even easier pass in the first instance? Watch the game back and see how many miss placed balls there are versus "divine" drives. Don't get me started on waving his arms at everyone else... Somehow it was fletchers fault in the second half when he got no support and bannan didn't seem like he wanted to get near. 

The midfield is okay, but you'd be mad to think it doesn't need work and he happy with a decent return, we should be striving for more. 

Can't wait to see those 3 line up in your utopian world in another 5 years time.

At least we agree Luongo needs a go. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Carlos, Jos, Bullen x2, Bruce and Monk have seen Bannan to be a very important part of our team/squad, maybe its you that's wrong.

They also all picked fox, palmer, nuhui, Lee, reach and Tom Lees. Maybe it's about who is available rather than who they rate. Bet you haven't slagged any of those though have you? Before you say it monk hasn't picked fox, but he will do. Maybe you might be wrong. 

1 hour ago, peacock1961 said:

I don't agree with you but that's not to say your wrong ...so what would your midfield be against boro on Saturday?...…. 

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I don't agree with you but that's not to say your wrong ...so what would your midfield be against boro on Saturday?...…. 

Reach, qpr lad, iorfa, Harris. 

Hutchison with borner as centre halves. Two up front. Might be a bit late for me to take this seriously, but it would be good to try that out tomorrow and see how it goes. Honestly we need a change, some experimentation, something different. We go nowhere by playing the same old same old. We are turning into Derby County. 

5 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Reach, qpr lad, iorfa, Harris. 

Hutchison with borner as centre halves. Two up front. Might be a bit late for me to take this seriously, but it would be good to try that out tomorrow and see how it goes. Honestly we need a change, some experimentation, something different. We go nowhere by playing the same old same old. We are turning into Derby County. 

Not for me.

Reach Luongo Hutch Bannan Harris.

I come back to results. We have 13 points from 7 games playing 433. Why would we go back to the QPR 433 just yet?

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Would you say that beating Barnsley 2-0 at home was better than beating Reading 3-1 and Town 2-0 away? When Bannan was playing.

I wasn't at the Reading game but I would say that the performance against Barnsley was better than the Huddersfield game, significantly so.  We pressed and played with an energy that has been sadly lacking in other games.

7 minutes ago, trotter said:

I wasn't at the Reading game but I would say that the performance against Barnsley was better than the Huddersfield game, significantly so.  We pressed and played with an energy that has been sadly lacking in other games.

Cant really compare wins home v away v different teams I know.

But to single out the Barnsley game because Bannan was out does suggest an agenda? For example, the game following Barnsley he came on at HT after we were awful in the first half, and he ran the show.

He is not at his best, but he is still easily one of our best and certainly influential performers.

33 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Cant really compare wins home v away v different teams I know.

But to single out the Barnsley game because Bannan was out does suggest an agenda? For example, the game following Barnsley he came on at HT after we were awful in the first half, and he ran the show.

He is not at his best, but he is still easily one of our best and certainly influential performers.

There is no agenda. It’s all about opinions. 

I think at at the moment he drags the team far too deep and I do not agree that so far this season he has been one of our best performers. 

I would like to perhaps try Luongo in there, or maybe a central 2 of Lee and Hutch if fit. 

Respect your view though. 

Edited by trotter
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Wrote after the team news came out on Saturday that we had the same midfield as 4 years ago, good or bad?

Think we have tightened up at the back and have good cover should form dip or we get a number of injuries. The wingers are doing ok and again we have cover and Fletch has a reasonable back up with Adthe and winnall (wish we could have kept Joao though).

Its the midfield, static, old and predictable. Seemingly little penetration or assistance to the front players. Our hands are tied somewhat but we've got to have some sort of option, definitely the lad from QPR has to be given a chance and maybe swapping Iorfa and Hutchinson around might be an idea. Mr Monk has to try something as bannan/lee/Hutch hasn't really succeeded in four years and is unlikely to as they all are get nearer their sell by dates.

Something needs to change if were going to do owt this year.  

I hope monk addresses this unlike previous managers, midfield has been a weak point for a couple of seasons now imo. 

17 minutes ago, trotter said:

There is no agenda. It’s all about opinions. 

I think at at the moment he drags the team far too deep and I do not agree that so far this season he has been one of our best performers. 

I would like to perhaps try Luongo in there, or maybe a central 2 of Lee and Hutch if fit. 

Respect your view though. 

I would struggle to name many who have had a better start than the admittedly below-par Bannan.

Harris, Borner and Fletcher of course. But I’m struggling after that. Palmer probably.

And of the five who have played CM, Bannan has been slightly better than Hutch, and significantly better than Lee, Reach and Luongo.

If we leave aside the QPR 442 disaster, our P7 W4 D1 L2 three-man midfield has been pretty successful, if not pretty. 

• Like 1

We have not seen enough of Luongo yet but it is a bit strange that he is not getting a game.

I missed his only start at Rotherham but the highlights showed he is athletic, can tackle and most importantly run with the ball. This is what our midfield needs, somebody to win the ball and carry it forward.

It is pointless saying Bannan should play nearer the forwards. It’s like saying he should play in goal. He is a great passer of the ball and needs to get on the ball with space to play. If you play him further forward he doesn’t get on the ball.

The answer is the whole team needs to play further forward. The wingers can carry the ball and get us forward, we need somebody in the middle to do it.

You don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Play Hutch, Bannan and Luongo.