Midfield..............

Wrote after the team news came out on Saturday that we had the same midfield as 4 years ago, good or bad?

Think we have tightened up at the back and have good cover should form dip or we get a number of injuries. The wingers are doing ok and again we have cover and Fletch has a reasonable back up with Adthe and winnall (wish we could have kept Joao though).

Its the midfield, static, old and predictable. Seemingly little penetration or assistance to the front players. Our hands are tied somewhat but we've got to have some sort of option, definitely the lad from QPR has to be given a chance and maybe swapping Iorfa and Hutchinson around might be an idea. Mr Monk has to try something as bannan/lee/Hutch hasn't really succeeded in four years and is unlikely to as they all are get nearer their sell by dates.

Something needs to change if were going to do owt this year.  

Good point I def think Luongo has a big part to play, but to be fair to the midfield the last 4/5 years even longer we've missed pace in team especially on the wings, I dare say if we'd had some pace like we do now it could have been a different story v Hull and Hudds, who knows

Edited by keepitsteel89

Bit daft to say it hasn't worked for 4 years when for the first 2 we made the play offs and then for 18 months we were without Lee and half a season without hutch as well I certainly dont recall the team improving when those 2 were missing.....I,m all for change if we can get better players but we've tried plenty of others and they have all come up short .

31 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Good point I def think Luongo has a big part to play, but to be fair to the midfield the last 4/5 years even longer we've missed pace in team especially on the wings, I dare say if we'd had some pace like we do now it could have been a different story v Hull and Hudds, who knows

I really like the look of Luongo and as you say will play an important part this season, I think once he has a regular place, he may be hard to shift!

18 minutes ago, Spookone said:

I really like the look of Luongo and as you say will play an important part this season, I think once he has a regular place, he may be hard to shift!

According to someone on here Luongo isn't playing because he's not putting in the effort at training lol

26 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We still lack a nasty piece of work in midfield. We have done for years. 

This.

Also I think that a few on here would agree that after the Wembley failure in 2015, we needed to address three positions: a commanding goalscoring centre back, an ‘animal ‘ in midfield to protect Bannan and wingers/forwards with pace. 

Whilst we seem to have very good central defenders I still think we need them to score more from set pieces- free kicks, corners particularly. The good news is that Monk appears to think the same- remember he brought in Bartley at Leeds and also had Jansson.

Cattermole was talked about in pre-season and he is the sort of midfielder to do a job to protect Bannan but perhaps too old for us now.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions on who we might target for the goalscoring defender and tough midfielder roles?

We’ve not had a truly great central midfield partnership since Carlton Palmer and Jon Sheridan

Bannan is a bit lightweight against the better sides in this division, we simply aren’t able to get him on the ball often enough, and he’s not the type of player who wins too many tackles

Hutchinson is good in the tackle but not creative enough

We need to find a player who can do both jobs

Whats the ex pig McDonald doing these days?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

The midfield set up gets out of shape every game as Bannan drops back to deep. The way round this is to play a 4-2-1-3.This means Hutchison and Luongo sitting behind Bannan forcing him further up the field to play the role of playmaker.Luongo to assist forward when the opportunity is there and Hutchinson as the cover. This allows us to be more solid and retain are shape. 

11 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

The midfield set up gets out of shape every game as Bannan drops back to deep. The way round this is to play a 4-2-1-3.This means Hutchison and Luongo sitting behind Bannan forcing him further up the field to play the role of playmaker.Luongo to assist forward when the opportunity is there and Hutchinson as the cover. This allows us to be more solid and retain are shape. 

Basically this. Bannan totally unbalances the team. He's like a kid on a school playground. I'm still waiting for a manager to get him to play a more advanced role and then get him to actually stay there. Also Fletcher is far too isolated. Need one of the wingers to tuck in closer depending on which flank we're attacking down. 

Edited by Hitcat

6 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Basically this. Bannan totally unbalances the team. He's like a kid on a school playground. I'm still waiting for a manager to get him to play a more advanced role and then get him to actually stay there. Also Fletcher is far too isolated. Need one of the wingers to tuck in closer depending on which flank we're attacking down. 

This is were Bannan should be supporting in a more advanced role. Luongo can also run into box to support with Hutchison mopping up behind.

23 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

It is, but I feel the decision to drop too deep is being made by Bannan himself.  Doesn't matter who plays "behind" him, he's often the deepest of the 3.

The gap between midfield and attack is far too big and if Bannan isn't going to be the man to fill that, should he even play? 

Hopefully in the next home game ( Wigan? ) we'll be on the front foot more than we were against Fulham from the off and play higher up the pitch. 

Edited by Lee A

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

This is were Bannan should be supporting in a more advanced role. Luongo can also run into box to support with Hutchison mopping up behind.

He's a tough one to shoe horn in that's for sure. Although I think he should be more advanced, I don't think too far. I think he does the most damage at the tip of the centre circle. Unfortunately he's a playmaker rather than an attacking midfielder, which still leaves Fletch isolated.

14 minutes ago, Lee A said:

It is, but I feel the decision to drop too deep is being made by Bannan himself.  Doesn't matter who plays "behind" him, he's often the deepest of the 3.

The gap between midfield and attack is far too big and if Bannan isn't going to be the man to fill that, should he even play? 

Hopefully in the next home game ( Wigan? ) we'll be on the front foot more than we were against Fulham from the off and play higher up the pitch. 

Im sure it is Bannan as Monks post match interview was how he told the midfield to get further forward and let Hutchison do the defensive duties.

9 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

He's a tough one to shoe horn in that's for sure. Although I think he should be more advanced, I don't think too far. I think he does the most damage at the tip of the centre circle. Unfortunately he's a playmaker rather than an attacking midfielder, which still leaves Fletch isolated.

Thats wete Luongo can bomb on as it seems Lee has lost that ability . We may have to accept with Lee that the injuries have taken there toll and we have seen the best of him.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

We still lack a nasty piece of work in midfield. We have done for years. 

Hutch isn't exactly a pushover. You wouldn't want him coming at you like an exocet when he's decided he wants the ball.