A cottaging perspective

Excellent write-up fro an opposition view. Unafraid to criticise  his own p[layers and tactics

2 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

70% possession in this league means f all if you don't make it count. It is such a tight league and any team in this league a goal behind with 10 to go  are going to throw the kitchen sink at it, home or away.  

At least someone is honest -enough to say that   %possesion is a load of b*****ks unless it is going to lead to advantage.Their back/mid field certainly had a lot , but most of it was across the back, and allowed since it was totally un productive. 

Possession football is not the way to go unless you are very very good at it. And not many are..besides, it makes me eyes bleed.

Time and time again the side with the vast majority of possession lose.

Its like the kung foo guy, jumping about showing off...flinging his arms about, treble cartwheels etc.

The other guy stands still and watches...gets bored and shoots him in the bollaxe.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vast majority of Fulham's 70% possession was spent passing it around in their own defensive third, so high possession stats mean nothing if you do nothing constructive with it.

Their 2 CBs made 222 passes between them, of which only 15 were long passes

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1381453/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2019-2020-Sheffield-Wednesday-Fulham

1 hour ago, Greengrass said:

Don't know why but Fulham fans just remind me of Tim Nice but dim from Harry Enfield.

FACT

18 months ago I was given a ticket by somebody at work for a Fulham game against Sunderland during their play off run in. The Mackems went 1:0 up (despite the  80%20% Possession stat) and a bloke behind me shouted summat Ive never heard at a ground in 50 years of watching football .....

”Fiddlesticks”

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I’ve ruffled my hair and read it in a Boris Johnson voice... really worked.

( just nipping next door to have an affair with the neighbours wife for total authenticity)

For some reason I read it in a Simon Jordan voice - lucid, thoughtful, fair, but just getting one or two phrases a bit Hyacinth Bucket 

• Haha 1

grandad

Gentleman Jim

Re: Sheffield Wednesday Vs Fulham, Saturday 21 September 2019, 3:00pm

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »

We won´t play against many harder teams to beat away this season. 3 points would have been great but against a thug side have to accept the point. We must find ways of seeing out games like this. Dropped 4 points in last 2 games.  Now playing catch up.

I´m hurting.

Taken from Friends of Fulham site their match day thread “thug side” migod I’d be ashamed if Wednesday resorted to the filthy tricks they tried sat 

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Possession football is not the way to go unless you are very very good at it. And not many are..besides, it makes me eyes bleed.

Time and time again the side with the vast majority of possession lose.

Its like the kung foo guy, jumping about showing off...flinging his arms about, treble cartwheels etc.

The other guy stands still and watches...gets bored and shoots him in the bollaxe.:biggrin:

1d01fa28e069198ea8ac68a744c057ed.gif

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Have seen Fulham a few times before the game on Saturday...

They knock it around well enough, but they it is very much passing for the sake of passing. 

They're way off the team who went up two seasons ago. 

Without doubt. They used to carve out so many chances each game in their promotion season, but it wasn't until they acquired Mitrovic in the Jan transfer window that they had someone that would consistently put them away.

And the crazy thing is that not only have they still got Mitrovic, but they've added the likes of Cavaleiro and Knockaert too. Not to mention the likes of Bryan, Mawson, and Arter (who, when he's not being a grade-A tool, is a good player); collectively, the additions they've made since last they were in the division more than make up for the losses of Sessegnon and Kalas.

And yet, for all that, they didn't really threaten our goal anything like as much as they ought to be with that squad.

I can't see Parker lasting long if he continues to set them up the way he is doing. Scandalous misuse of such a talented squad.