• Reach
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Lee
    • Harris
    • Muprhy
    • Winnall
    • Nuhiu

Any team that can pass it around always dominate our midfield and when we do eventually get the ball its usually for about 2 passes max before the ball runs out of play behind the goal 

There is nothing with the sitting back tactics so long as when you get the ball you look after it rather than playing the easy get out of jail long ball to Fletcher 

Hutchinson is a tackler but is he a ball winner?  I'm not so sure 

Apparently to some Lee is "different gravy" and I agree if we are comparing to the player he was !

That said its early days for this manager so we will have to be patient.........again 

Edited by the monk

I am not sure what the midfield plan was Saturday.

We didn’t mark Cairney. First half he was clearly unmarked most of the time and drifted out to give Obujabo two men to mark.

I think it was a plan to have our 3 midfielders filling space in the middle of the pitch rather than following men around and being pulled all over.

I can understand this as some of the player maps put on here recently have shown big holes in the midfield and you can’t have that.

The test now is to get them going forward as a unit. So if Bannan and Lee go forward Hutch cannot continue to sit . He needs to move forward as well so there are no gaps.

6 hours ago, prowl said:

Hutch is a defender by nature and instinct and he's also a good DM. His tendency is to drop too deep, he can't really do much about it. He brings a lot to the team but he also spoils our shape when we have the ball.

A wise manager has 2 choices, drop Hutch and lose what he brings to the game. Pelupessy or Luongo. Luongo might be an interesting option, I've not seen enough of him to form an opinion. The other option is just to compensated for Hutch's positioning by having full backs who can play effectively as wing backs when we have the ball. Hutch drops back to form a 3rd CB and both full backs push forward to midfield or overlap the winger.

I suppose there is a 3rd option which is to get Hutch on the training pitch and make him more comfortable further up the pitch. Good luck with that because it hasn't happened so far.

Difficult decision to make and one that would court controversy but what about a midfield 3 of Hutch (CDM) Luongo and KLee or Reach? Sometimes having Bannan on changes the aspect of various parts of players play and tactics.

Just a thought maybe .. we've played some good games without Bannan playing in the middle

Its overthinking it...There are teams..Like Fulham, who have better players...no doubt about it.

We wonder why Bannan/Hutch/ lee aren't as good against them

Its because

There are teams..Like Fulham, who have better players

Fletcher is not as effective....Reach doesn't shine..

Its because...

Monk accepted the premise at half time...We pressed higher..we messed it up..and Fulham started playing long balls forward..out of play...can't remember them doing that once first half.

Then we had the theatrics, the crowd getting up for it..Fulham for some part bottling it...and we drew

simply scrapping for a point....You have to..

because...