• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Lee
    • Harris
    • Muprhy
    • Winnall
    • Nuhiu

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Westwood - 5 - Had very little to do, despite Fulham dominating possession. But he's made another poor judgement for Fulham's goal. It wasn't an easy cross to deal with, but he's dealt with it really poorly nonetheless. 

Odubajo - 7 - He defended very well up against Cavaleiro, who had no impact on the game really. Didn't use the ball too well at times though. Too many unforced errors.

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - Continued where he left off last week. Thought he could be key in keeping Mitrovic quiet, and he stood up and went toe-to-toe with the Serb. 

Borner - 8 - Another adept and positive defensive display. Couple of moments where he lacked a bit of composure, but on the whole, another fine performance. 

Palmer - 7 - Did a fine job up against Knockaert, and kept the tricky Belgian relatively quiet. Few touches of quality, just wish he would show more belief in offensive areas. There was acres of room for him to move into at times, but he's reluctant to do so. 

Hutchinson - 6 - Redeemed himself 2nd half, after another anonymous 1st period. Never seemed to get to grips with Cairney, and the midfield just seemed to be a bit too passive. Maybe it was part of the plan (and had Fulham not scored with the only chance they created, who'd convince yourself it had been successful), but the midfield trio just seemed to be a yard off pace. 

Bannan - 6 - Struggled to have an effect on the game offensively, and in the 1st half, like Hutchinson, seemed to be chasing shadows at times. 

Lee - 5 - Pretty poor show from Lee. Seemed to get stuck in between trying to press and sitting in, and had no impact whatsoever going forward. Correctly subbed. 

Reach - 6 - See Lee. Neither here or there, and aside from a 10 minute period in the 1st half, was pretty anonymous. Deservedly dragged off. 

Harris - 8 - Yet again, our ONLY genuine attacking threat. Did well in the 1st half to create a couple of chances, and continued to give Sessegnon a real headache. Assist for Nuhiu's last minute winner. 

Fletcher - 6 - Tough gig today. Left isolated at times, and given the job to drop deep and man mark Reed for large parts. Won A LOT aerially, but thought his hold up play could have been better.

Murphy - 6 - Little impact really.

Winnall - 6 - Huffed and puffed, and linked a few things up.

Nuhiu - 7 - He did what he does so often. Caused chaos. Ruffled Fulham, chased lost causes but crucially, got the equaliser. Another positive impact sub. 

Overall ...

A deserved point against a side who should finish in the promotion places. And yet, we didn't really play all that well.

I think the game could be a wake-up to Monk in how to play and get the best out of the players (and fans) at Hillsborough. The 1st half game plan wasn't wrong, or ill-conceived. And aside from one awful bit of defensive play where we totally lost our shape and got punished, you wouldn't be criticised for arguing that the game plan worked. It was clear that we were very happy for Mawson and Ream to have the ball, but Reed wasn't going to be given the freedom of midfield and able to take the ball off those two centre halves. We wanted their centre halves to try and play the balls that Fulham wanted Reed to be doing. And for much of the 1st half, despite us failing to really stamp our authority on the game, you'd have to say Fulham rarely troubled us. 

That said...it was flat. Both on the pitch, and in the stands. But in the 2nd half, after about 55-60 minutes, it seemed like a switch was flicked. Bannan pushed high up on Reed, Fletcher closed the centre halves down with Harris and Murphy providing close support, and all of a sudden, Wednesday played with a bit more urgency, but also, the crowd responded. Fulham looked vulnerable all of a sudden, and Hillsborough could sniff blood. As it happened, we didn't really play all that well, but with the positive switches in formation and mindset, the fans dragged the players along. Chuck in a fair old dose of injustice, and the fans sucked that ball into the net. 

For the last 15-20 minutes, Hillsborough responded to the players needs. We've played much better this season, and picked up less, but the positivity was contagious and Monk needs to capitalise on that. So less of the passive play we saw in the 1st half, and more of the up and at them mentality we saw for the last 30 minutes.  

Good post. Would have given Hutch and Fletch ( they sound like a 70's American cop duo) a seven but rest you've got spot on along with your summary. If only I had your patience to type all that. 

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Westwood - 5 - Had very little to do, despite Fulham dominating possession. But he's made another poor judgement for Fulham's goal. It wasn't an easy cross to deal with, but he's dealt with it really poorly nonetheless. 

Odubajo - 7 - He defended very well up against Cavaleiro, who had no impact on the game really. Didn't use the ball too well at times though. Too many unforced errors.

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - Continued where he left off last week. Thought he could be key in keeping Mitrovic quiet, and he stood up and went toe-to-toe with the Serb. 

Borner - 8 - Another adept and positive defensive display. Couple of moments where he lacked a bit of composure, but on the whole, another fine performance. 

Palmer - 7 - Did a fine job up against Knockaert, and kept the tricky Belgian relatively quiet. Few touches of quality, just wish he would show more belief in offensive areas. There was acres of room for him to move into at times, but he's reluctant to do so. 

Hutchinson - 6 - Redeemed himself 2nd half, after another anonymous 1st period. Never seemed to get to grips with Cairney, and the midfield just seemed to be a bit too passive. Maybe it was part of the plan (and had Fulham not scored with the only chance they created, who'd convince yourself it had been successful), but the midfield trio just seemed to be a yard off pace. 

Bannan - 6 - Struggled to have an effect on the game offensively, and in the 1st half, like Hutchinson, seemed to be chasing shadows at times. 

Lee - 5 - Pretty poor show from Lee. Seemed to get stuck in between trying to press and sitting in, and had no impact whatsoever going forward. Correctly subbed. 

Reach - 6 - See Lee. Neither here or there, and aside from a 10 minute period in the 1st half, was pretty anonymous. Deservedly dragged off. 

Harris - 8 - Yet again, our ONLY genuine attacking threat. Did well in the 1st half to create a couple of chances, and continued to give Sessegnon a real headache. Assist for Nuhiu's last minute winner. 

Fletcher - 6 - Tough gig today. Left isolated at times, and given the job to drop deep and man mark Reed for large parts. Won A LOT aerially, but thought his hold up play could have been better.

Murphy - 6 - Little impact really.

Winnall - 6 - Huffed and puffed, and linked a few things up.

Nuhiu - 7 - He did what he does so often. Caused chaos. Ruffled Fulham, chased lost causes but crucially, got the equaliser. Another positive impact sub. 

Overall ...

A deserved point against a side who should finish in the promotion places. And yet, we didn't really play all that well.

I think the game could be a wake-up to Monk in how to play and get the best out of the players (and fans) at Hillsborough. The 1st half game plan wasn't wrong, or ill-conceived. And aside from one awful bit of defensive play where we totally lost our shape and got punished, you wouldn't be criticised for arguing that the game plan worked. It was clear that we were very happy for Mawson and Ream to have the ball, but Reed wasn't going to be given the freedom of midfield and able to take the ball off those two centre halves. We wanted their centre halves to try and play the balls that Fulham wanted Reed to be doing. And for much of the 1st half, despite us failing to really stamp our authority on the game, you'd have to say Fulham rarely troubled us. 

That said...it was flat. Both on the pitch, and in the stands. But in the 2nd half, after about 55-60 minutes, it seemed like a switch was flicked. Bannan pushed high up on Reed, Fletcher closed the centre halves down with Harris and Murphy providing close support, and all of a sudden, Wednesday played with a bit more urgency, but also, the crowd responded. Fulham looked vulnerable all of a sudden, and Hillsborough could sniff blood. As it happened, we didn't really play all that well, but with the positive switches in formation and mindset, the fans dragged the players along. Chuck in a fair old dose of injustice, and the fans sucked that ball into the net. 

For the last 15-20 minutes, Hillsborough responded to the players needs. We've played much better this season, and picked up less, but the positivity was contagious and Monk needs to capitalise on that. So less of the passive play we saw in the 1st half, and more of the up and at them mentality we saw for the last 30 minutes.  

Really good read.

• Thanks 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Westwood 6 kicking not great

Odubajo 6

Iorfa 8

Borner 7

Palmer 7.5

Hutchinson 6

Bannan 6

Lee 5.5 not the player he was

Reach 4 awful again

Harris 8 quieter but a brilliant assist again

Fletcher 6

Murphy 5 neshed the header

Winnall 5

Nuhiu 7 good impact again

I thought it was a solid point. Defence did very well. Palmer fought hard against Knockart and Borner and especially Iorfa we’re outstanding against Mitrovic who is the best CF in this division. The hard one is Odubajo. In general he played well and he put in some excellent last ditch tackles but at times he does stupid things and his positioning can be poor.

In midfield we were poor. Hutch and Bannan aren’t reaching the heights we know they can but Lee was poor. For me, he’s not the player he was before his injury and Luongo should be playing instead if we play 3 in midfield. 

As for the attack Fletch was isolated in the first half but we still created chances. Harris is a total gem as he was quiet today but still managed the assist at the end. Great impact from Nuhiu to add to the excellent cameos from both Atdhe and Sam last weekend. All the strikers need to chip in with goals to help out Fletch so it’s a good sign.

If we can sort ourselves out going forward we will have a chance this season as defensively we are quite solid. Onwards and upwards!

Westwood 5 very little to do should have done better with goal 

moses 6 ok defensively nowt going forward the opposite of what you expect 

palmer 7 steady game 

iorfa 7 defended well shaky on ball at times 

borner8 natural defender if he was a yard faster or a few inches taller he’d be in PL if he was both he’d be a superstar 

lee 5 forgot he was playing 

bannan 6 terrible first half improved as game wore on 

reach 6 had some good moments first half then disappeared 

harris 7 clearly our best chance of creating something kept going and created goal need to get him on ball 1v2 in last third 

hutchinson 6 again too deep which leads to us losing midfield 

fletcher 7 battled manfully with no support 

murphy 6 saw very little of the ball

winnall 6 hustle and bustle but little impact 

nuhui 8 changed game created mayhem 

overall we struggled to get the ball or keep it but Fulham created next to nothing midfield needs bolstering perhaps luongo needs to be given a go and fletcher needs support 

14 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Knockheart was almost non existent today thanks to Palmer. Can't remember a time when he's been so quiet against us, so Palmer for me. 

Thought Iorfa and Borner were good, Moses didn't do as bad as people will say as he was often left 2 on 1 despite shouting for help. Going forward Harris and Fletcher worked hard and the subs helped. 

When we cropped in the semis against Brighton. Didn't they run out of subs too if I remember?

1 hour ago, adamnich said:

When we cropped in the semis against Brighton. Didn't they run out of subs too if I remember?

If I remember rightly, they were out of subs by half time. Obviously Kcockheart was injured in our home leg, but if you recall they all said he’d not play in the reverse fixture, yet he did and he terrorised us

I went for Borner, but thought Palmer was excellent yesterday, against one of the best wingers in the division. Very nearly played Fletcher in a couple of times as well

I'll hold my hands up and admit that a couple of years ago I said Palmer would never be a footballer "if he's not kicked on by now...etc".

Very glad to be wrong on this one.

13 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

Westwood 5 very little to do should have done better with goal 

moses 6 ok defensively nowt going forward the opposite of what you expect 

palmer 7 steady game 

iorfa 7 defended well shaky on ball at times 

borner8 natural defender if he was a yard faster or a few inches taller he’d be in PL if he was both he’d be a superstar 

lee 5 forgot he was playing 

bannan 6 terrible first half improved as game wore on 

reach 6 had some good moments first half then disappeared 

harris 7 clearly our best chance of creating something kept going and created goal need to get him on ball 1v2 in last third 

hutchinson 6 again too deep which leads to us losing midfield 

fletcher 7 battled manfully with no support 

murphy 6 saw very little of the ball

winnall 6 hustle and bustle but little impact 

nuhui 8 changed game created mayhem 

overall we struggled to get the ball or keep it but Fulham created next to nothing midfield needs bolstering perhaps luongo needs to be given a go and fletcher needs support 

Wasn’t him yesterday it was everyone else he was the most advanced of the midfield 3. 

In the second half when we improved he was the one dragging Bannan out. I think Monk has seen already that Hutch further forward makes us a better team. 

Good performance from him yesterday 

15 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Sorry to be pedantic but he's French.

But pretty much agree with the ratings though.

I thought palmer was superb today and dealt with pretty much whatever came his waggy from knockaert.

Iorfa much better today, more composed, less rash rushing in trying to win the ball

Borner solid. Loves a battle.

I thought our weakest part today was midfield. Looked like Lee and Bannan were running in treacle at times. . It's like many have said about Bannan though, hides against teams that press him, whether that was down to Fulham's quality or himself dropping in performance. And hes definitely not captain material. Too busy moaning and whining throwing him arms around and shrugging. Too often walking around too.

Fletcher  isolated at times up top, worked extremely hard. A thankless task. Reach was poor also. Forms low at the minute

My instinct was to put "tricky, little ****"! 

I tend to agree with you but, I don't think you can accuse Bannan of ever hiding. There's, of course, going to be some games where he doesn't see as much of the ball as others, and when you're up against a team that dominates possession like Fulham does, naturally, you aren't going to see as much of it. 

I didn't think Bannan was great yesterday, and I'd tend to put our "flatness" in the 1st half, down to our midfield trio. But to be fair to Bannan, it did seem like he was the catalyst to dragging the team up the field in the 2nd half and initiating the high press on Fulham's back line. Without that definitive shift in mentality, the game was destined to just meander along without so much as a whimper from ourselves. 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

when people criticise hutch for playing too deep  do they think he does this on his accord or is it a dig at the managers tactics …….

The lead up to Fulham’s had to be Hutchinson doing it on his own accord. 

He drops so deep, that we literally have nobody in midfield. 

When Monk watches the video back, I fully expect him to be asking Hutchinson, what he was doing. 

If Hutchinson is sat holding in midfield, Fulham’s counter could easily have been stifled or at the very least slowed down. 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

when people criticise hutch for playing too deep  do they think he does this on his accord or is it a dig at the managers tactics …….

Hutch is a defender by nature and instinct and he's also a good DM. His tendency is to drop too deep, he can't really do much about it. He brings a lot to the team but he also spoils our shape when we have the ball.

A wise manager has 2 choices, drop Hutch and lose what he brings to the game. Pelupessy or Luongo. Luongo might be an interesting option, I've not seen enough of him to form an opinion. The other option is just to compensated for Hutch's positioning by having full backs who can play effectively as wing backs when we have the ball. Hutch drops back to form a 3rd CB and both full backs push forward to midfield or overlap the winger.

I suppose there is a 3rd option which is to get Hutch on the training pitch and make him more comfortable further up the pitch. Good luck with that because it hasn't happened so far.

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

The lead up to Fulham’s had to be Hutchinson doing it on his own accord. 

He drops so deep, that we literally have nobody in midfield. 

When Monk watches the video back, I fully expect him to be asking Hutchinson, what he was doing. 

If Hutchinson is sat holding in midfield, Fulham’s counter could easily have been stifled or at the very least slowed down. 

Youd think if that's the case monk would have either told him from the touchline or have brought him off   . He always plays deep and monk would you hope know that