• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Lee
    • Harris
    • Muprhy
    • Winnall
    • Nuhiu

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Can I ask you (and it’s not just you. Others scored similarly) what would our defenders have to do to score higher than 5 and 7, having just kept a £40million attack down to one proper chance all game?

If you go on their forum they are bemoaning 71% possession but we had all the chances. They are saying their keeper kept them in it.

Westwood by contrast had absolutely nothing to save.

I think it was a really disciplined defensive shape and performance.

Moses and Palmer didn't offer much going forward I thought and they didn't look solid in defence, I get your point about them being expensive players they were up against but I want Sheffield Wednesday to be the best and to be the best you've got to match up and be better than 'the best'

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, james o connor said:

100 % this . The old guard midfield needs break up and Luongo needs to play . Fletcher and the centre halves were decent , the full backs weren’t bad too 

I don't get why we are still playing that midfield it didn't work 2015/16 when they were all individually brilliant and it's not working now that they have aged and other teams know them inside out.

• Thanks 1

Westwood 5 - at fault for the goal, Distribution negative.

Obubajo 6 - a few good runs

Iorfa 7 - Mitrovic in his pocket

Borner 7 - He too kept Mitrovic quie

Palmer 6 - quiet for the most part

Hutchinson 7 - some good interceptions

Bannan 6 - a little too deep

Lee 6 - still builing up strength and fitness.

Harris 7 - Doubled up on him for most of the match but persistence paid eventually.

Reach 5 - struggled to find his Niche in the game. 

Fletcher 7 - Ploughed a lonely furrow.

Nuhiu 8 MOM gave what was needed at the Top and put a little icing on our Mustard Hot Dog; A rare combination for Scott Parker to swallow having 

PROROGUED FOOTBALL !

7 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Moses and Palmer didn't offer much going forward I thought and they didn't look solid in defence, I get your point about them being expensive players they were up against but I want Sheffield Wednesday to be the best and to be the best you've got to match up and be better than 'the best'

I'd read that last para again mate if I were you.

lol

36 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

I don't get why we are still playing that midfield it didn't work 2015/16 when they were all individually brilliant and it's not working now that they have aged and other teams know them inside out.

Not convinced with Moses at full back and against descent wingers Palmer gets shown up playing on the left. 

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Borner for me, solid as usual and not afraid to carry and pass the ball forward when needed. 

It was a difficult game for anyone to stand out for us in an attacking sense today as our tactics were to let them have the ball in their own half and pick them off on the break. It worked to an extent in the first half but the first goal was crucial and meant we had to change our approach.

Fulham didn't really offer much in the 2nd half but we struggled to get any concerted pressure until we pressed them higher. 

Finally someone understood what was going on and didn't just think we should have gone gung ho and pressed high.

It's worth also pointing out that we restricted them to very little with a nice shape, it was clear to me that everybody understood their responsibilities in that respect.

Aside from Westwood, I was relatively happy with our performance today. How many errors is that this season?

1 minute ago, Ash76 said:

Finally someone understood what was going on and didn't just think we should have gone gung ho and pressed high.

It's worth also pointing out that we restricted them to very little with a nice shape, it was clear to me that everybody understood their responsibilities in that respect.

Aside from Westwood, I was relatively happy with our performance today. How many errors is that this season?

Westwood has to take the blame for that goal, no doubt, he appeared to be startled that it had got that far and reacted late when he should have just caught it. 

You could see them causing problems from that attack though, Bryan crossed the ball in and had loads of time and space to do so, where was Reach? 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Westwood has to take the blame for that goal, no doubt, he appeared to be startled that it had got that far and reacted late when he should have just caught it. 

You could see them causing problems from that attack though, Bryan crossed the ball in and had loads of time and space to do so, where was Reach? 

Not sure of Reach's position on the pitch at that point. Is was left to Kieran Lee to come across but he only ambled 

Westwood - 5 - Had very little to do, despite Fulham dominating possession. But he's made another poor judgement for Fulham's goal. It wasn't an easy cross to deal with, but he's dealt with it really poorly nonetheless. 

Odubajo - 7 - He defended very well up against Cavaleiro, who had no impact on the game really. Didn't use the ball too well at times though. Too many unforced errors.

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - Continued where he left off last week. Thought he could be key in keeping Mitrovic quiet, and he stood up and went toe-to-toe with the Serb. 

Borner - 8 - Another adept and positive defensive display. Couple of moments where he lacked a bit of composure, but on the whole, another fine performance. 

Palmer - 7 - Did a fine job up against Knockaert, and kept the tricky Belgian relatively quiet. Few touches of quality, just wish he would show more belief in offensive areas. There was acres of room for him to move into at times, but he's reluctant to do so. 

Hutchinson - 6 - Redeemed himself 2nd half, after another anonymous 1st period. Never seemed to get to grips with Cairney, and the midfield just seemed to be a bit too passive. Maybe it was part of the plan (and had Fulham not scored with the only chance they created, who'd convince yourself it had been successful), but the midfield trio just seemed to be a yard off pace. 

Bannan - 6 - Struggled to have an effect on the game offensively, and in the 1st half, like Hutchinson, seemed to be chasing shadows at times. 

Lee - 5 - Pretty poor show from Lee. Seemed to get stuck in between trying to press and sitting in, and had no impact whatsoever going forward. Correctly subbed. 

Reach - 6 - See Lee. Neither here or there, and aside from a 10 minute period in the 1st half, was pretty anonymous. Deservedly dragged off. 

Harris - 8 - Yet again, our ONLY genuine attacking threat. Did well in the 1st half to create a couple of chances, and continued to give Sessegnon a real headache. Assist for Nuhiu's last minute winner. 

Fletcher - 6 - Tough gig today. Left isolated at times, and given the job to drop deep and man mark Reed for large parts. Won A LOT aerially, but thought his hold up play could have been better.

Murphy - 6 - Little impact really.

Winnall - 6 - Huffed and puffed, and linked a few things up.

Nuhiu - 7 - He did what he does so often. Caused chaos. Ruffled Fulham, chased lost causes but crucially, got the equaliser. Another positive impact sub. 

Overall ...

A deserved point against a side who should finish in the promotion places. And yet, we didn't really play all that well.

I think the game could be a wake-up to Monk in how to play and get the best out of the players (and fans) at Hillsborough. The 1st half game plan wasn't wrong, or ill-conceived. And aside from one awful bit of defensive play where we totally lost our shape and got punished, you wouldn't be criticised for arguing that the game plan worked. It was clear that we were very happy for Mawson and Ream to have the ball, but Reed wasn't going to be given the freedom of midfield and able to take the ball off those two centre halves. We wanted their centre halves to try and play the balls that Fulham wanted Reed to be doing. And for much of the 1st half, despite us failing to really stamp our authority on the game, you'd have to say Fulham rarely troubled us. 

That said...it was flat. Both on the pitch, and in the stands. But in the 2nd half, after about 55-60 minutes, it seemed like a switch was flicked. Bannan pushed high up on Reed, Fletcher closed the centre halves down with Harris and Murphy providing close support, and all of a sudden, Wednesday played with a bit more urgency, but also, the crowd responded. Fulham looked vulnerable all of a sudden, and Hillsborough could sniff blood. As it happened, we didn't really play all that well, but with the positive switches in formation and mindset, the fans dragged the players along. Chuck in a fair old dose of injustice, and the fans sucked that ball into the net. 

For the last 15-20 minutes, Hillsborough responded to the players needs. We've played much better this season, and picked up less, but the positivity was contagious and Monk needs to capitalise on that. So less of the passive play we saw in the 1st half, and more of the up and at them mentality we saw for the last 30 minutes.  

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Don't blame the defence for the goal. It started with an atrocious pass directly to an opponent from Harris.

But look at the whole game. We were given a lesson in passing (they found their man and cut out our passes) They used Premiership tactics where and whenever it would pay off (crossing in front of a player then going down to claim free-kicks. They played the Referee for 90+ minutes, and pushed the rules to the extent.

Our defenders played them excellently, but unfortunately our mid-field became non-existent The Fulham back four hardly ever had to get out of first gear, until the appearance of that master of unsettling defenders, a certain Atdhe Nuhiu, started to pull them out of shape..

The first lesson which must be learned is for our mid field to start to play its part. It's no good plying so defensively without having some sort of 'breakout' plan. 

My own personal preference would be to move |Harris to R Wing. He's been worked out now, and I would put him on \right and shove Reach up on \Left. He obviously doesn't fit in midfield. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Can I ask you (and it’s not just you. Others scored similarly) what would our defenders have to do to score higher than 5 and 7, having just kept a £40million attack down to one proper chance all game?

If you go on their forum they are bemoaning 71% possession but we had all the chances. They are saying their keeper kept them in it.

Westwood by contrast had absolutely nothing to save.

I think it was a really disciplined defensive shape and performance.

I thought the centre backs were very good today with the full backs not far behind.

I just couldn’t see Iorfa as a centre half given his somewhat erratic defending at full back. Today he looked the part, big , strong, ok positionally and the one time he had to really use his pace he blew them away.

A real decision for Monk when Lees is fit.

As for the game. The BBC report says Fulham scored against the run of play and their keeper kept them in it.

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

I agree. Thought we had good shape and discipline. Worked well until their goal. In contrast we were all over the place against QPR and had no idea what we were doing. 

4 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Westwood 5

Palmer 5

Borner 7

Iorfa 7

Moses 5

Harris 7

Bannan 5

Hutchinson 6

Lee 5

Reach 5

Fletcher 7 

Nuhiu 7

Winnall 6

Murphy 6

Poor selection/tactics. 

Fletcher was too isolated playing up top on his own, we looked too much like the away team today. Thank God the Fulham players weren't at their absolute best either or we'd have got hammered. Bannan being the captain is having a negative impact on the other players he is just shouting at them and taking away their confidence. Luongo needs to play more, much more physical and still quality on the ball.

It does seem Bannan just shouts angrily, rather than lead

I thought the two centre backs were immense

I’ve given it to Iorfa

But I wouldn’t argue with anyone who gave it to Borner

I’m not Palmer’s biggest fan, simply because he can’t pass a ball, but he stuck to his guns against a very crafty cheat of a player. Palmer is some athlete, he gets in some great positions, but I fear his lack of quality when he gets there will eventually cost him, it’s a shame because he’s just lacking that one thing, but it’s so vital for modern day full backs

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Westwood 5 - poor for the goal. Distribution so slow. 

Palmer 6

Borner 7

Iorfa 7

Moses 5 frequently out of position. 

Harris 7

Bannan 5 - set piece delivery so poor. Played far too deep. 

Hutchinson 6

Lee 5

Reach 5

Fletcher 7 

Nuhiu 7

Winnall 6

Murphy 4 - not sure what he offers at the moment. 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Palmer - 7 - Did a fine job up against Knockaert, and kept the tricky Belgian relatively quiet

Sorry to be pedantic but he's French.

But pretty much agree with the ratings though.

I thought palmer was superb today and dealt with pretty much whatever came his waggy from knockaert.

Iorfa much better today, more composed, less rash rushing in trying to win the ball

Borner solid. Loves a battle.

I thought our weakest part today was midfield. Looked like Lee and Bannan were running in treacle at times. . It's like many have said about Bannan though, hides against teams that press him, whether that was down to Fulham's quality or himself dropping in performance. And hes definitely not captain material. Too busy moaning and whining throwing him arms around and shrugging. Too often walking around too.

Fletcher  isolated at times up top, worked extremely hard. A thankless task. Reach was poor also. Forms low at the minute

Game like todays it was going to be a defender MOM and I thought Borner did a great job on their dangerman.

Iorfa did like wise,distribution was wayward at times,but movement ahead was limiting his options,thought both fullbacks played well today as well.

We sat too deep,we couldnt get on the ball,distribution was woefull ,especially in their half.

Good side fulham,but their antics today were shamefull at times,and a stronger ref would have stamped on that.

• Like 1