Hutchinson interview.

Sam Hutchinson seems extremely grounded in reality.

I'm not sure after he finishes playing he will stay in the game, but if he does I am sure he would be a great role model for future players.

Recently he was told at an event to bypass the fans and not engage.   He tried hard to do as he was told but couldnt.   He looked at my boy looking up at him and stopped and said "would he like a photo?"  

The man is just human.   Which is the best compliment I can give him.   A lovely man top to bottom from what I can tell.   (no comments you naughty lot!)

Edited by Salmonbones
  • Like 1

'That's the reason I went mental...'

I think he might've come up with the title of his autobiography there.

:duntmatter:

If every Wednesday player had the same drive and determination that Hutchinson does, we'd be sorted. He really is a great example of how you can overcome adversity, and it was interesting to hear him talk about his children as being his motivation for this.

I also thought his comment regarding the effect the manager situation had on the players was very honest. Despite some on here claiming it was the best course of action to leave Bullen in a caretaker role for a decent stint, it's clear that this uncertainty hasn't helped the playing squad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I'm not sure after he finishes playing he will stay in the game, but if he does I am sure he would be a great role model for future players.

Recently he was told at an event to bypass the fans and not engage.   He tried hard to do as he was told but couldnt.   He looked at my boy looking up at him and stopped and said "would he like a photo?"  

The man is just human.   Which is the best compliment I can give him.   A lovely man top to bottom from what I can tell.   (no comments you naughty lot!)

Why on earth would anyone say that to him?  Seems a very strange thing to say.  He's been a very good ambassador for the club and doesn't give the impression that he doesn't like to "engage" with the fans.  

Would love to know why he would be told that.  He seems a very honest bloke and happy to meet the fans.

11 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

I love listening to players who don't trot out the same old cliche's when they speak.  If he stays fit all season, this could be interesting...

Thanks for that @Suzuki_San

Certainly Sam is performing well and his fitness looks excellent. 

I hope we will see a midfield three or two made up from Bannan, Hutchinson, Luongo and Lee. Even accepting we will have injuries it’s perfectly plausible that they can be our midfield pretty much all season, with Reach free to play out wide, where he is a far better player.

Joey tries as hard as anyone in our shirt, and to have him as 5th (6th if you count Reach) choice CM shows how far we have improved thru fitness and shrewd buys.

He is as good in the defensive midfield role as anyone in the league by a long way in my opinion IF he plays it sensibly. 

He reads the game well, wins the ball and has a much better range of passing than most give him credit for. 

Sadly too many times he hasn’t played the role with the right amount of intelligence. 

He strolled through the game at home to Barnsley and for me he was man of the match by a mile. 

No need to fly around like a wasp in acid. 

55 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Key to how we play, quality player, top bloke great ambassador for the club and Warrior. Should be Captain IMO.

Cannot for the life of me see why people moan or pick a side without him.

Maybe because he sits too deep when we have the ball. He still thinks like a CB. It leaves us short when we go forward. If we had attacking fullbacks it would help counterbalance Hutch sitting deeper but Palmer and Fox aren't really attacking fullbacks in the proper sense. Oddjob might remedy the situation when he settles down and finds form or maybe Iorfa.

It's not really a criticism of Hutch, he is what he is but accepting that, we need to set up in a way that compensates for his deep position. We haven't had the players to do that. If Monk plays with attacking/overlapping FB's on both sides with Hutch dropping in as a 3rd CB we would be more balanced. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, prowl said:

Maybe because he sits too deep when we have the ball. He still thinks like a CB. It leaves us short when we go forward. If we had attacking fullbacks it would help counterbalance Hutch sitting deeper but Palmer and Fox aren't really attacking fullbacks in the proper sense. Oddjob might remedy the situation when he settles down and finds form or maybe Iorfa.

It's not really a criticism of Hutch, he is what he is but accepting that, we need to set up in a way that compensates for his deep position. We haven't had the players to do that. If Monk plays with attacking/overlapping FB's on both sides with Hutch dropping in as a 3rd CB we would be more balanced. 

Totally agree, in CC's first season where we had Hunt and Pudil as Wingbacks effectively Hutch sitting deep was instrumental.

However, you saw when he was restored to the team last season and especially under Bruce that when he plays higher up he is as key as before as he is not only a driving force in the midfield he has quality, this also pushes Bannan further forward where IMO he should play and effect the game.

I am in total agreement with the full backs, with Penney on loan we have no attacking LB, and on the other side as you say hopefully we can have Odubajo at his best but at the moment with Palmer we don't have that so he needs to play higher up.

15 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I think he’s just such an honest character.

Makes you wonder if someone within the club was worried about this and how he might respond to more probing questions about running of the club.

Good to hear him bite his tongue in that interview when it came to a tactical question though.

11 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Why on earth would anyone say that to him?  Seems a very strange thing to say.  He's been a very good ambassador for the club and doesn't give the impression that he doesn't like to "engage" with the fans.  

Would love to know why he would be told that.  He seems a very honest bloke and happy to meet the fans.

All the players were being shepherded away quickly by security.