Benfica want Reach

17 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Bannan got two goals and two assists all season. Wasted on the left. Centre mid all day long (as long as that's not 2 yards in front of the back 4)

Yes he did and when he was moved into centre midfield he went goal crazy with 1, 0, 4, over the next 3 league seasons. Not exactly prolific, in fact averaged over 3 seasons that's worse than when he was on the left wing................

2 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Yes he did and when he was moved into centre midfield he went goal crazy with 1, 0, 4, over the next 3 league seasons. Not exactly prolific, in fact averaged over 3 seasons that's worse than when he was on the left wing................

Not goal crazy, true. Although I think 21 assists over the next 3 seasons was more than adequate from the centre of midfield (source: who scored dot com). Especially as he was sitting too deep for a lot of that time.

Playing good football and Barry Bannan being on the left side of midfield can be two mutually exclusive things

8 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Plus two assists so far this season

you're clutching now.

Obviously the assists should go up when a player moves to the CM position, but the argument stands that we played better football and had more success with him on the left. In other words he didn't have the opportunity to play CB and not everything had to through him.

I know some people thought we were shoe horning him in, but I think we were a more balanced side. 

10 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

you're clutching now.

Obviously the assists should go up when a player moves to the CM position, but the argument stands that we played better football and had more success with him on the left. In other words he didn't have the opportunity to play CB and not everything had to through him.

I know some people thought we were shoe horning him in, but I think we were a more balanced side. 

Genuine question... do you understand what mutually exclusive means?

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Reach is going the same way as Bannan for some on here. With Bannan they were peddling the nonsense that dropping our best player would make us a better side.  

Theres no wonder the likes of Corbyn gets votes. 

Some people don't like Reach because of his style of play. The same people probably would have dropped Chris Brunt because he didn't run around like Lee Peacock

7 hours ago, vulva said:

Reach is going the same way as Bannan for some on here. With Bannan they were peddling the nonsense that dropping our best player would make us a better side.  

TBF he does stay wide left though, unlike Bannan who drifts to the centre as soon as he can.

13 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

you're clutching now.

By “success” I assume you mean points? In which case no, we were less successful with Bannan wide left. 

Perhaps you don’t recall all those games where he was switched to CM after a turgid 45/60 minutes, 

On 18/09/2019 at 15:57, The Chief said:

Not goal crazy, true. Although I think 21 assists over the next 3 seasons was more than adequate from the centre of midfield (source: who scored dot com). Especially as he was sitting too deep for a lot of that time.

Playing good football and Barry Bannan being on the left side of midfield can be two mutually exclusive things

You understand that we have an over reliant attitude to play everything through bannan when he’s in the centre and that first season under Carlos we played as a team spreading the goals and workload across the squad 

our team is better when bannan is on the left we play better as a unit 

when he’s in the centre it’s like the Barry bannan show, we look for him all the time 

On 18/09/2019 at 16:34, vulva said:

Corbyn should pick the team 

On 18/09/2019 at 16:34, vulva said:

Corbyn is a better left winger than Reach

lol

I'm in two minds on this, which is pretty much my continual thought on Reach.

He is versatile and good in all the positions he is asked to play.    We know his limitation which is why I think his days at left back are over barring a scenario where we have no choice.

I won't be upset if he leaves, but if he stays I still think he can get better and perform more consistently under Monk, especially if he finally ties down a specific role.

42 minutes ago, fpowl said:

You understand that we have an over reliant attitude to play everything through bannan when he’s in the centre and that first season under Carlos we played as a team spreading the goals and workload across the squad 

our team is better when bannan is on the left we play better as a unit 

when he’s in the centre it’s like the Barry bannan show, we look for him all the time 

Not so.

Look back. We were more successful with Bannan central. We scored more goals when he was central. We got more points when he was central.

On 18/09/2019 at 23:53, Holmowl said:

TBF he does stay wide left though, unlike Bannan who drifts to the centre as soon as he can.

Under Carlos that was actually the idea. Bannan drifted central to give us numbers in the middle and more often than not be unmarked.

And I don't think he has started left too often under our other managers apart from  the debacle under Bruce at Millwall when Bruce actually expected him to stay wide.

Carlos was the manager that played Bannan nominally left.

It was with the intention of him drifting into the centre, as Wallace also did, to provide extra bodies in central midfield and help us try and control the ball.

Normally this was a low tempo style , hanging back as a team and simply trying not to allow the opposition into the game.

It wasn't great to watch.

We would play this way for the first part of games to see how the game developed

We then normally made a sub, brought another striker on,  went 433, moved FF to the left and moved Bannan into the centre.

For the last half hour we played high tempo , pressing high up and looking a very dynamic team.

Because we were pressing very high up the pitch Bannan could play high up the pitch and effect the game in the oppositions half.

Generally this worked.

The problems come when you play a low tempo game with Bannan in the centre because it is all too deep.

Reach has the running but not the positional sense or touch to consistently do a job in the centre.

He is a very good , orthodox wide player.