The Shape Of Things To Come?

Bigger challenger's to come. I think Huddersfield we very average, the Cowley's have a big job on there hands. Fulham will give us a clue how Gary Monk is going to handle things with the shape and tactics of the team. I think we are in for a very interesting ride with Mr Monk. Uto

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

It will be interesting to see how the crowd cope on Saturday.

Fulham will have loads of possession and it probably ain’t sensible to try and press them as this is what they want you to do and leave gaps.

We will have to accept this 

They play a 4-3-3, so will be interesting to see who picks the big lad mitrovic up /how we deal with him at the back. 

My thought would be if fit Lees may pick hi up with borner floating. Being honest as well as iorfa did on Sunday, I'm not sure if he has the concentration to do so, so maybe borner with iorfa allowed to float. 

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I would go Palmer and Fox as Fullbacks need our two best defensive full backs against probably the two best wingers in the league.  Iorfa or Odubajo would all over the place against those two.

My thoughts were

Knockaert plays on the right but is all left foot. Comes inside most of the time which would be onto Palmer’s stronger side

Carvaleio is big, strong and quick.

Iorfa can at least match that.

Very tough ask whoever gets the gig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Football is a SIMPLE game only made difficult by Coaches and Players.

The aim in any game is to WIN, not entertain, that comes later.

I totally agree with all of that. I think the problem is these days is that there are players, in the higher leagues, who can entertain as well as win matches. And with ticket prices as high as they are, fans want entertaining too. I think they have come to expect it, at all levels. It's getting through that mentality sometimes that's difficult. They almost want the perfect win.

For me, yesterday, whilst not a game for the purist - what ever that means - it was a perfect game. 3 points, clean sheet, no injuries, no suspensions.

2 hours ago, Kanye West said:

They looked decent at best against West Brom on Saturday - they're a good side yes, but not enough for us to poo ourselves over.

Its also worth considering that:

1. Fulham are 11th in the league table.  Hardly ripping this division up.

2. Their defence is nothing special, in particular their centre back partnership of Ream and Mawson can be got at.

3. Fulham are dire away from Craven Cottage.  Their away record in 2019 is P12, W2, D1, L9, GF10, GA24.

The talking-up of Fulham on here is a bit cringy IMO.  Why is everyone sh*tting themselves?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Football is a SIMPLE game only made difficult by Coaches and Players.

The aim in any game is to WIN, not entertain, that comes later.

Absolutely

And some fans and chairmen forget this .. all this "playing the XXX TEAM way" after binning a manager off - the aim of the game is to win regardless of how its done ..

sometimes we over complicate simple matters!

4 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

2. Their defence is nothing special, in particular their centre back partnership of Ream and Mawson can be got at.

3. Fulham are dire away from Craven Cottage.  Their away record in 2019 is P12, W2, D1, L9, GF10, GA24.

The talking-up of Fulham on here is a bit cringy IMO.  Why is everyone sh*tting themselves?

Because Sky Sports tells them to think like this... :laugh:

Fulham > Barca

Knockeart > Messi

If we are going to be set up this way going forward, I’d like to see Reach replace Murphy out wide and Lee come in to the middle, I think it’d allow for more fluidity.

Especially having Bannan, Lee, Harris & Reach all able to cover one and others position whilst allowing Hutch a degree of cover.

17 minutes ago, PolarNigel said:

If we are going to be set up this way going forward, I’d like to see Reach replace Murphy out wide and Lee come in to the middle, I think it’d allow for more fluidity.

Especially having Bannan, Lee, Harris & Reach all able to cover one and others position whilst allowing Hutch a degree of cover.

I wonder if Lee could slot into the 'number 10' role?

He's certainly got the touch, vision and technical ability to do so. He's a pretty decent finisher when he gets in and around the penalty area, too.

4 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

In my opinion they have better players than the season they got promoted. 

I would take either of their centre backs here. 

Most of those games are in the Premier League 

Of course we can win it but it is a tough game. 

29 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

In my opinion they have better players than the season they got promoted. 

I would take either of their centre backs here. 

Most of those games are in the Premier League 

Of course we can win it but it is a tough game. 

Surely we won’t know until Saturday whether they are tough opposition for us, or not.

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

One trging worries me. Monk talks of the team's fitness. This was the constant moan from Bruce that the team were not fit, and that he wa working on this. Didn't do a very good job, did he?

What has Monk said about our fitness? I must have missed that.

I think we've looked noticeably fitter, faster and sharper at the start of this season than we did for large portions of the previous three years.

Guest The Horse
22 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Well said that man.

It's the second tier and we're all here to be shot at.

Show no respect and get in their faces.

Every team.

Every time.

On 16/09/2019 at 10:50, oldishowl said:

It will be interesting to see how the crowd cope on Saturday.

Fulham will have loads of possession and it probably ain’t sensible to try and press them as this is what they want you to do and leave gaps.

We will have to accept this 

This 100% but theres no way our fans won't get frustrated. 

Forest beat these and only had 22% possession. We need to be on it defensively but not disheartened of they are seeing all the ball. 

4 hours ago, The Horse said:

Well said that man.

It's the second tier and we're all here to be shot at.

Show no respect and get in their faces.

Every team.

Every time.

It worked for United.

Their belief that they could go toe to toe with any team in this division played a huge role in them winning promotion.

One thing I've noticed Monk say a few times already is that his coaching is predominantly focused on us rather than the opposition. Hopefully that translates into a confident team who have a plan of how to hurt our opponents rather than simply looking to counter their threats.