Jordan Rhodes

11 hours ago, oz_owl said:

Yes, but if we move him we have to pay all we owe to Middlesbrough straight away, rather than the instalments we're currently paying (£2m per year over 4 years if the original reports were correct).  From a FFP perspective that would have been suicide for us given how close we were to the edge.

I keep seeing this quoted but not sure where it comes from. In my understanding, It is very unusual for a club to accept installments for the sale of a player. Usually the selling club requires payment in full or in rare cases at the most over 12 months. The cost is then amortised in the buying clubs accounts in equal yearly installments over the length of the players contract.

As I say this is my understanding and I could be wrong in Rhodes case but Ive never seen it reported anywhere officially.

24 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I keep seeing this quoted but not sure where it comes from. In my understanding, It is very unusual for a club to accept installments for the sale of a player. Usually the selling club requires payment in full or in rare cases at the most over 12 months. The cost is then amortised in the buying clubs accounts in equal yearly installments over the length of the players contract.

As I say this is my understanding and I could be wrong in Rhodes case but Ive never seen it reported anywhere officially.

I believe you are right but for FFP the remaining amount would be amortised in one year rather than two.

26 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I thought it was quite common for instalment payments and clubs borrowing against future instalments due payment.

37 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I believe you are right but for FFP the remaining amount would be amortised in one year rather than two.

Yes that's certainly true, once the player is sold his contract is finished and any outstanding amortised payments are all accounted for in that financial year.

47 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I thought it was quite common for instalment payments and clubs borrowing against future instalments due payment.

From what I've read it's not usually liked by the selling club. Once they have sold a player the value of the agreed fee usually goes straight into their accounts therefore showing a profit, when they buy a player the cost is amortised over the length of contract. Doing it this way helps them with their accounts more than if they received payment in installments.

14 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

From what I've read it's not usually liked by the selling club. Once they have sold a player the value of the agreed fee usually goes straight into their accounts therefore showing a profit, when they buy a player the cost is amortised over the length of contract. Doing it this way helps them with their accounts more than if they received payment in installments.

I think instalments are much more common practice these days only based on what I’ve read but examples are the Sala fee was in 3 instalments, research via football leaks pointed to financing of fees and borrowing against fees to be paid was very common practice and more recently, although not a transfer fee, that Moyes received the final payment of his 6m payoff in June of this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I think instalments are much more common practice these days only based on what I’ve read but examples are the Sala fee was in 3 instalments, research via football leaks pointed to financing of fees and borrowing against fees to be paid was very common practice and more recently, although not a transfer fee, that Moyes received the final payment of his 6m payoff in June of this year.

Not disagreeing as it's only what I have read although I can understand the Moyes payment being in installments as this would benefit the clubs accounts and Moyes doesn't have to show an accounting profit as such.

My original comments were only based on what I had read regarding transfer fees and, that I don't recall reading anywhere official that Rhodes transfer fee was to be paid in installments.

Some writing Rhodes off on the basis of his 38 minutes this’s season!

And he was very decent in those 38 minutes btw, as was the team.

Just like Winnall, he will have opportunities. Hope he takes them and makes life very difficult for Monk.

Fletcher is magnificent, but will miss games. We need Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall on form.

• Haha 1

Is gash

Is under serviced and is the messiah

Has cost us 2m pounds per goal including transfer, wages and agents fees (8 goals, 16m cost) 

Delete as appropriate and never darken my door with this name again, he's scored 8 goals in 3 seasons. 

Ryan Lowe scored 8 goals for Wednesday , to put this in perspective. 

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Some writing Rhodes off on the basis of his 38 minutes this’s season!

And he was very decent in those 38 minutes btw, as was the team.

Just like Winnall, he will have opportunities. Hope he takes them and makes life very difficult for Monk.

Fletcher is magnificent, but will miss games. We need Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall on form.

Whilst I agree we should keep him as the main thing he is still lacking is confidence.

I think very few are writing him off after 38 minutes but several poor performances over a couple of seasons.

FFS