Jordan Rhodes

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As much as I don’t rate Rhodes, and a lot of that is because we were playing with just the one up, if he can’t make the squad in a 4-4-2 set up, then he needs to move on  Playing Reach in a front two, the mind boggles, and his performance in that role was, exactly what I expected

I dont think he was upfront as a striker, but the middle of the supporting three.

When there were two up front (winall), he went on the wing...

1 hour ago, 1993swfc said:

I think it’s just not going to happen here. To continue paying his astronomical wages even just till January may be a silly decision. We really needed to take advantage of getting him off he wage bill. 

Think this sums him up, not a bad player by any means but it looks like it just isn't going to happen for him here and that's a real shame.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Playing Reach in a front two, the mind boggles, and his performance in that role was, exactly what I expected

I'm hoping Monk will quickly realise it's Reach or Murphy, and not squeeze them both in. 

Didn’t even play today, let alone in the squad... good excuse to bash him. 

I hope Monk gets him scoring again, he seems to play to players strengths and changed it for the better with 2 up front with Winnall and Fletcher putting Reach out wide and it worked. We got crosses in and both our strikers bagged typical poacher goals. That’s what Rhodes is, a poacher... but let’s have a dig at him for not getting in squad. 

Edited by robowl4life
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

I hope Monk gets him scoring again, he seems to play to players strengths and changed in for the better with 2 up front with Winnall and Fletcher outing Reach out wide and it worked. We got crosses in and both our strikers bagged typical poacher goals. That’s what Rhodes is, a poacher... but let’s have a dig at him for not getting in squad. 

There's a reason he wasn't in the squad today. I don't believe people are - or should be - bashing him but the facts speak for themselves. This is the prolific striker who's strike rate is around 1 in 5 for us since he signed.

3 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

I hope Monk gets him scoring again, he seems to play to players strengths and changed in for the better with 2 up front with Winnall and Fletcher outing Reach out wide and it worked. We got crosses in and both our strikers bagged typical poacher goals. That’s what Rhodes is, a poacher... but let’s have a dig at him for not getting in squad. 

Agree 100%, Rhodes is on the payroll, but the payroll never played like he thought it would, he's a poacher for sure, and that's all he does, and he does it well, or did it well, until he signs with Wednesday.  

But this is not the same Wednesday he signed with, everything has changed, and the Club seems to be playing a game which is to his strengths, which is poaching goals, and that's all he does, he does nothing else.  To ask him to be able to play like, say, Nuhiu, would be like asking asking, say, a Ferrari F8 to run the Baja 1000 (brutal off-road race), it's just not what a Ferrari does.  

I never "rated" Rhodes, not qualified to do so anyway, but I do wonder how he'd do with Monk in charge, in a front 2, the other Player being a "tough guy", Nuhiu, Fletcher, Winnall, and maybe even one or another of the U23's?

Offloading him in January is an absolute must.

Then bring in a replacement. With pace.

Then replace Murphy with Aarons.

Then bring in a left-back.

Then bring in a creative central midfielder.

Then get promoted.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Great! Yet another Jordan Rhodes thread :ghoulguy:

If you post a list of things you would like to discuss please feel free. 

Obviously your list cannot include aything previously talked about such as swfc as this would clearly offend. 

FFS. 

• Haha 1

From what I've seen of monks teams, he likes hardworking robust strikers that put themselves about, aggressive, no nonsense, get stuck in and upset opposition defenders. 

Winnall, Fletcher and Nuhiu all fit that remit /mould, unfortunately for Rhodes it just isn't his game.

I just don't think there's many teams these days especially in a division as physical and tough as the championship that can afford to cary a Lineker esq' striker that just floats about up front waiting for an opertunity to arise and does very little defencivly. I know he did try to change his game a bit in that regards, but he's just not a battler or cambative enough to fit in. 

He was only in 18 due to Bullen doing an old pals act with his father. His performances have been very poor and does not deserve a place. 

I think Norwich were not realistic about signing him and it was just a front to give him some publicity them to say thank you and hopefully generate publicity to get him a move. Realistically when have you ever seen a player be part of a promotion winning squad to Premiership and they try to secure a player who was on loan with them last year for less money than they paid previous year. if reports of what they were offering this would have been situation. I can understand Dc rejecting this type of offer but if he does have 2 ears left on his contract it would have saved £3 million in wages and that is probably a better return than we will get elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

As much as I don’t rate Rhodes, and a lot of that is because we were playing with just the one up, if he can’t make the squad in a 4-4-2 set up, then he needs to move on  Playing Reach in a front two, the mind boggles, and his performance in that role was, exactly what I expected

I have no idea on what your views on Reach were, but his energy and running were a key part of the victory and first goal would not have happened without his contribution.

• Like 1