Murphys performance

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What a ridiculous overreaction to a few middling performances.

Maybe he's just not quite as good a footballer as some on here seem to think? Maybe playing regularly in a settled side will bring the best out of him?

Okay, he's not set the world on fire during his first half-dozen games for us, but to say he has no business being in professional football and to call him disgraceful is going way over the top.

It's a reaction to comments on this thread, not a reaction to his performances, as I started my post by saying. Please do keep up.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I wouldn't get worked up about what we say on here if I were you.

:duntmatter:

Oh dont worry I'm thicker skinned than that.

Back to Murphy though,  my point being, that Baggies fans and Newcastle fans before us have both said the same thing that the majority of this thread have said - loads of talent, very little evidence of desire or application - and that's what doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe Monk can get him firing. I hope so, because with him on form and Harris on the other wing, we would be hard to stop.

12 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

How will any manager get the best out of him if they don’t play him? Give the kid a chance.  

Signed for Newcastle by Rafa Benitez, Brought to Wednesday by Steve Bruce‘s recruitment team. Selected for England at U18/19/20 & 21 level. Written off by OT armchair managers after 6 games

FFS

Maybe a few years ago he had more hunger and desire to succeed. Then he got his big move to Newcastle and has not moved on. Of course, he's still got plenty of time to turn things around but at present he is not worth a starting place IMO.

• Thanks 1

Is Murphy the new designated scapegoat of the month?

He joined us a little short of match-fitness and not having played regular football for a while. Immediately scored and set up a goal on his debut (beat three men then played the pass for Lee who rolled it on to Fletcher). Calm in possession, often does the simple things well - i.e. was involved in the move for the first goal on Sunday, and later in the match, beat two men before being brought down by Schindler with a cynical (if ultimately successful as the ref didn't spot it) knee to the thigh. Other days it would have been a penalty.

Yes, would be great to see more from him, and a couple of crosses went wrong- but he's on the ball as often as Reach and Harris were, and we need balance. Think he's a better option that Reach on the wing from what I've seen so far to be honest.

On 17/09/2019 at 08:58, Owls-Fan said:

Monk got Maghomma to play a tune so maybe he can get something out of Murphy.  Otherwise he’s a good option for the bench, it looks like Reach and Harris should be the wingers in our team at the moment  

This.  

We were warned by our resident West Brom fan that he was a bit lightweight and struggled to influence games.

He got off to a flyer and has struggled a bit since but by simply being there his pace gives the opposition something to worry about and he is only short of a bit of composure when he gets in good positions from being a decent loan signing.  Hopefully Monk can work on this part of his game with him.  We have a very long way to go and there is time for him to find the form that justified his fee when he moved to Newcastle.  

• Like 1