Man of the Match & Scores Huddersfield (A)

Man of the Match  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Top Owl at Huffersfield

• Westwood
    • Odubajo
    • Palmer
    • Hutchinson
    • Borner
    • Iorfa
    • Murphy (60)
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher (83)
    • Reach
    • Harris (86)
    • Winnall (60)
    • Nuhiu (83)
    • Lee (86)

Huddersfield      0  -  2    Wednesday

Fletcher (10)

Winnall (72)        

======================================

1200px-Sheffield_Wednesday_badge.svg.png

STARTING TEAM:

Westwood

Odubajo     Iorfa    Borner     Palmer

Hutchinson             Bannan

Murhpy                Reach                   Harris

Fletcher

=======================================

image.png.9b775bc59f8d696574feb4c5d4f5f4f5.png

=======================================

FINISHING  TEAM:

Westwood

Odubajo         Iorfa      Borner        Palmer

Reach    Hutchinson   Lee     Bannan

Winnall         Fletcher

Ugly performance? Weak Huddersfield?

Maybe so. But you can only beat whats in front of you.  There was as much chance of the Terriers having a new manager bounce as us so any win is a good win ,IMO. 

2-0 away from home ,you'd take that every week no matter what the quality.

Fletcher leading the line brilliantly. He must surely be in the best form of his life?

Great to see Winnall get on the score sheet.  Two years since his last Wednesday goal. Been a long slog for the lad. Hopefully it will give him a real boost. Everyone I'm sure will be delighted for him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Westwood 7

Odubajo 7     Iorfa 6.5    Borner 7.5     Palmer 6

Hutchinson 7           Bannan 7.5

Murhpy  6              Reach  6.5                 Harris 8

Fletcher 7.5

Winnall 7

Lee 6

Nuhiu 6.5

Edited by nilnil

Fletcher for me, he was an absolute battering ram upfront, paired with some excellent touches and interplay.

Thought Harris continued to look our most potent outlet.

Bannan improved as the game went on and a sublime cross for Winnalls goal.

Iorfa actually had a very good game although something about him frightens the life out of me.

Not going to get in to the negatives as I'll leave that to them in the wednesday sing group but I will say Hutchinson and Palmer should be banned from shooting outside of the box, also I'm glad we didn't get the Cowleys they peaked at lincoln lol

Harris and Borner are top players. 

I had completely forgot about Winnall he has been that buried by previous managers glad to see him back.

A brilliant win for us though and a nice way to dust ourselves off so we get get ready for a really tough run of fixtures which I am now really looking forward to

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Thought we were excellent 

Westwood 7 one great save

Odubajo 7 much better

Iorfa 8 solid as a rock 

Borner 7

Palmer 7 miles better than Fox

Hutchinson 6

Reach 6.5

Bannan 7

Murphy 5 I don’t rate him

Harris 8

Fletcher 8

Winnall 8

Nuhiu 7

Lee 6

Some excellent performances. Iorfa was absolutely superb which was so important after last time. However, I’m really pleased for Moses and Winnall. Odubajo had a total mare last game and it was good man management to take him out of the firing line. Was great today.

As for Winnall, he was superb. I’ve been one of his biggest critics but he was outstanding when he came on. It’s a big if but if he continues like that, there will be an apology coming his way!

A good away performance.

For the most part we only looked threatened when we were out of shape. Either Borner getting sucked into the forward dropping off and them making a run in behind or the fullbacks being behind the centrebacks defensive line.

Odubajo did well, massive mistakes against Preston but today coped well with no-one in front of him till Reach went there.

Bannan showed what a different player he can be by just being further 15 yards further up the pitch.

Westwood 7, didn't have much to do but did it well. Still takes an age to get rid of the ball.

Odubajo, 7. Much improved, steady solid, worked hard

Iorfa 7, shaky few minutes at the start but generally steady. Much better than his last game.

Borner 7.5, a rock, no nonsense CB, rarely gets ruffled.

Palmer. Solid, should have had an assist for the ball behind the defence that Fletcher almost reached.

Hutch, 7 played his usual game but sits too deep.

Bannan 6.5, Not up to his usual standard, how he got Sky MOM I will never know.

Murphy 6, He's got it, he just can't find it at present.

Reach 6.5, Barely saw him in the first half, better in second.

Harris, 7.5, When he runs at them he causes havoc. bit subdued at times, covers the FB well.

Fletcher 8, warrior and a great goal.

Winnal,7 he scored but other than that he ran about a bit.

Nuhiu 7, he did what he does, great at running down the clock by drawing fouls

Lee 6, didn't have time to impact the game.

• Haha 2

Westwood - 7 - A couple of regulation saves, but on the whole, a really quiet day at the office. 

Odubajo - 8 - Good performance, shackled Grant, Huddersfield's main threat, well throughout. 

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - Excellent display. Looked assured and dominant, with a cool head when in possession. 

Borner - 7 - Just the usual no-nonsense display. Happily played understudy to the brilliant Iorfa.

Palmer - 7 - Generally did well, defended solidly against Huddersfield's advanced full backs, although lack of composure cost Fletcher a 2nd goal late on. 

Hutchinson - 7 - Thought he was pretty average first half. Seemed to get dragged out of position and miss his tackles far too often. Settled down 2nd half and protected the back four far better.

Bannan - 7 - Asked to do a lot of donkey work, screening the back four. And in the 1st half especially, thought he didn't use the ball well at all. However, the ball for the 2nd goal was sublime and that's what you're expecting from him frequently. 

Reach - 6 - Looked lost in that No. 10 role again. He consistently struggles to find a happy medium in that position. However, worked hard and looked better and more comfortable when shifted out wide. 

Harris - 7 - Thank the Lord for Harris and Fletcher this season, from an attacking point of view. Without those two, we'd be utter dross. Fantastic work for the 1st goal, and late on, was pivotal as we began to pick Huddersfield off on the counter. 

Murphy - 4 - Fookin' awful. Looked half-arsed, and his quality on the ball was abysmal. Needs to up his game...and quick. 

Fletcher - 7 - Did really well for the 1st goal climbing above Elphick, and from then on until 70 minutes, was asked to do an impossible job with us just hoofing the ball up to him. Once we went 4-4-2, we looked a much more effective unit, and Fletcher looked to thrive having support close by. 

Winnall - 7 - Fantastic cameo appearance. Gave us a real lift and zest up front. Took his goal well, and seemed to ooze confidence after that. Good signs. 

Nuhiu - N/A - Not on long, but a lot of positives. 

Lee - N/A

Overall...

I suppose you could say it was the "perfect" away performance. Clinical in front of goal, and resolute and solid defensively. 

However, for 60 minutes, we were dreadful in possession. It was a really poor performance...from an offensive point of view. And I'm certain Monk won't be happy with it. The same problems were there. Reach looking lost, Murphy under-performing, Bannan unable to effect the game in the right areas and Fletcher woefully isolated. If we're to play 4-2-3-1, we need to find a No. 10...but I don't think we've got one. 

What Monk will be delighted with though, is our defensive display. We defended the central areas well, diverted play out wide and defended out box. Restricted Huddersfield to nothing more than a handful of speculative efforts. And, to be fair, a new manager will always opt for defensive stability over attacking efficiency early on in their reign. 

So PLENTY of things to improve upon...but a win's a win, and we looked resolute defensively...albeit against a poor side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, prowl said:

Westwood 7, didn't have much to do but did it well. Still takes an age to get rid of the ball.

Odubajo, 7. Much improved, steady solid, worked hard

Iorfa 7, shaky few minutes at the start but generally steady. Much better than his last game.

Borner 7.5, a rock, no nonsense CB, rarely gets ruffled.

Palmer. Solid, should have had an assist for the ball behind the defence that Fletcher almost reached.

Hutch, 7 played his usual game but sits too deep.

Bannan 6.5, Not up to his usual standard, how he got Sky MOM I will never know.

Murphy 6, He's got it, he just can't find it at present.

Reach 6.5, Barely saw him in the first half, better in second.

Harris, 7.5, When he runs at them he causes havoc. bit subdued at times, covers the FB well.

Fletcher 8, warrior and a great goal.

Winnal,7 he scored but other than that he ran about a bit.

Nuhiu 7, he did what he does, great at running down the clock by drawing fouls

Lee 6, didn't have time to impact the game.

Zero for Palmer is a bit harsh

• Haha 2