Huddersfield - V - Wednesday OMDT

Huddersfield weren’t great but you have to give credit to Wednesday for the way we played in the second half. We looked more solid at the back than in recent weeks, made it difficult for them and created a lot of chances. 

Its a a great base to build on for Monk. 

10 minutes ago, striker said:

A functional away performance, could tell we'd been working on shape and the players knew their jobs. Still concede possession and play too deep for my liking, but looked dangerous in the limited attacking moves we had. 

Really pleased for Winnall, he looked much better up front when he came on and got a good goal. 

Against a very poor Huddersfield team, job done, but lots of work still to do if we've  aspirations of moving further up the league. 

Suppose when away from home we have to expect the home side to have  more of the ball, particularly when they are chasing the game. But yes I do agree, we did at times appear to panic and resorted to kick and rush which it's so annoying to watch. We also need to start showing for the ball more, at times we would have 2/3 Huddersfield players surrounding one of ours and yet some would stand like statues. All to work and improve on though.

That was a tricky test and we did well with a improvised side 

Monk will take a lot from that game 

He recognised Murphy was a problem and acted , dont think we will see him starting many this season depending on injuries . 

Had the wingers working back from the kick off helping the fullbacks 

Baz and Hutch gave us a buffer in front of defence and Fletch was outstanding 

Pleased for Winnall as well , he put himself about well 

Not going to lie Odubajo and Iorfa frighten me to death but we should have Lees back for next game 

21 minutes ago, striker said:

A functional away performance, could tell we'd been working on shape and the players knew their jobs. Still concede possession and play too deep for my liking, but looked dangerous in the limited attacking moves we had. 

Really pleased for Winnall, he looked much better up front when he came on and got a good goal. 

Against a very poor Huddersfield team, job done, but lots of work still to do if we've  aspirations of moving further up the league. 

Of course we have things to work on, the manager has only been here a week.

To produce an away performance like that when the focus was on the home side having a big lift with the trendy new managers coming in was just what we needed. Yes they are in dire form but these are the types of games we simply haven't turned up for many times in the recent past.

We reduced them to hardly any clear cut chances, took our chances well and in the end could have put more of a gloss on it. 

Murphy was under performing and Monk took him off at the right time and made the right change in bringing Winnall on in his place and moving Reach wide. 

That'll do me for a start to his reign.

34 minutes ago, Rogers said:

First 10 and last 15-20, we were good enough.  Must improve. 

If Udders had more confidence, it might have been different. 

6/10 - on the basis of a win and clean sheet. 

I dread to think how you saw things under Irvine etc. 

2 nil away win gets a 6/10 lol

40 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Huddersfield must hate playing us at home. 8 games, no wins, no goals scored

We owe the Dog botheres one.

They knocked us out the play offs without even scoring.

Enjoying their rapid decline. 

A good solid ruthless away performance and result.

A good competent start for Monk and something to build from.

Yes, there were some creases and weaknesses to work on but to get a clean sheet; a couple of well worked goals, three points, a response and a solid team performance is a fresh positive base to work from. Well done Wednesday; the whole team, staff and Monk. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

“If we are going to persist with” one of the division’s best midfielders?

Yeah mate, we've been here before. I think he's a good player, but I don't subscribe to this belief that BB is pivotal to everything and anything good we do. There have been plenty of good results without him there. Defensively he can lapse, letting players run off of him. We all know he can drop too deep.

I think he needs a particular player type alongside him. He needs a Kante type to not only break up play, but drag oppo midfielders away. We don't have that.

It's not popular, but it's what my football head tells me. I make no apologies for that.

Showed glimpses of quality today. Way too many long balls, but that might be down to the defence rushing it forward without the defensive assurance of Lees. 

Odubajo looked much better defensively today. He seemed to have a lot of fight and determination. 

Iorfa out of position a couple of times, but overall solid next to the rock that is Borner. Palmer had another solid game too. 

Hutchinson broke a lot of their play up, nothing fancy but did the dirty work well. Shouldn't have shot though with much better options on. 

Bannan played ok. Quality assist, what a cross. But he did mess around in possession a couple of times getting caught. Also a couple of times he had the opportunity to release Harris down the wing but misplaced the pass. 

Fletcher won everything and was everywhere. Harris dangerous as always. He's not just pace, got composure to pick the right ball, as he showed for the assist and cut back for Reach. Murphy is at his best when running at his man. Could have won a penalty. But I do want to see him offer himself for the ball more. 

Winnall, where's he been hiding that?!? Great header for the goal, quality defense splitting ball to send Palmer through. Looked really up for it today. Nuhui excellent too, skills and power. 

Good start for Monk. He'll have seen a few issues he can address, and take plenty of positives from a solid 3 points away from home. 

UTO