Contract expiry

Luke

Just now, oz_owl said:

That's not the full argument though is it.

Lingering around the Championship is not as good as getting promoted to the Premier League, but it's significantly better than getting relegated to League 1.  And the "brand new players" could end up being worse than the ones we've let go (our track record of recruitment over the past 3-4 years is a little shaky).

Failing to get us up isn't the only aspect of this, and there are obvious FFP ramifications for every player recruitment or contract renewal situation.  Some of the players on that list will provide us with potentially more value than we could obtain through replacement.

And this is what I mean by people being scared of change. You're right we don't know if the club will be smart enough with any freed up wages to recruit well, we could end up in league 1, or the prem, or stay as we are, but one thing I do know, is if we keep the same core of players year after year we ain't ever going up. Keep doing the same thing and keep getting the same results, all whilst we pay top dollar as fans to watch. 

Most of those players on that list aren't good enough and need moving on, it's time for a change, but that's just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Who do you think impacts a game more than Nuhiu in our current squad off the bench?

TBH i think the whole "Athde game changer off the bench" is a bit of a myth.

Looking back over his time with us he perhaps makes a "game changing" cameo sub appearance about every 7 or 8 attempts.

We have a number of players (Fletcher, Bannan, Forestieri, Harris, Lee etc) who, if they were on the bench , could come on and "change" a game as much as  Athde does.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pussface said:

?

Lose him for a free otherwise ? He's worth money, maybe not as much as he was but a flurry of goals will change that. With his temperament not the best surely we wanna be tying him down now and then if we do want to get rid we can get a fee for him (albeit something around what we paid) or if he hits form we can demand more.

Id like to say the same for Rhodes but I just don't see him ever getting the goals. I would have gone all out to sell him in the summer but would do again in January.

8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Lose him for a free otherwise ? He's worth money, maybe not as much as he was but a flurry of goals will change that. With his temperament not the best surely we wanna be tying him down now and then if we do want to get rid we can get a fee for him (albeit something around what we paid) or if he hits form we can demand more.

Id like to say the same for Rhodes but I just don't see him ever getting the goals. I would have gone all out to sell him in the summer but would do again in January.

hmm for the amount he'd probably ask for, he's simply not done anyway near enough to be worth it over the last three seasons imo. Way past his peak I fear.

His first season with us was brilliant, obviously. Yet since then he's been little value to us really, and I expect him to leave in January.

12 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

The following players contracts end at the end of the season

J.Rhodes

F.Forestieri

S.Fletcher

S.Hutchinson

J.Pelupessy

S.Winnall

M.Fox

A.Nuhiu

C.Dawson

K.Lee

A.Baker

Obviously early days and we don't knoe who monk will favour but if the contracts was to end tomorrow ,who would you offer a new contract to ?

Purely on what they could contribute to the future of the team

I'd offer Dawson a new contract 

And fletcher (on much less wages) 

Rest could leave for me 

I think it's a big year for certain people on this list to proof they are worthy of a new deal. Looking at the fact our entire front line is out of contract is interesting. It puts pressure on FF, Rhodes, Winnall and Nuhiu to get minutes one way or another. I think Fletch in theory would get a new deal, but isn't he on big money? I would offer him an extension now but put at a slightly reduced wage due to age and then add incentives.

away from the forward line i would extend right now Dawson, Hutch, Fox (might be controversial, but Sunderland showed he may hold value and we may get a fee), Baker. Hutch for me has showed his fitness has at least improved so i would want to keep.

If Lee can stay fit until Jan i would offer him an extension then. Pelupessy needs to proof himself, otherwise if today was May, he could go.

As for forward line, i think FF has value so i would offer an extension in Jan if has recovered from all the bad stuff he has gone through. Winnall, Rhodes and Nuhiu i don't think hold value for a transfer fee, so unless they have a big season, they could go.

It is interesting to track how these guys play this year, and if the club will extend a bit earlier this year with big assets like Hutch and Fletch being out of contract.

6 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

We should have fixed-term membership on Owlstalk and have a clear out now and again of some of the plantpots.  We could make a list and all debate what contribution they make to the site.

Well I think I’m earning my £0 transfer fee and my £0 per week OT wage.

Though some would disagree. 

• Haha 2

This will be where the gravy train ends.

Lets hope DC has learnt his lesson and no more silly daft contracts to abolute wasters, losers and injury prone fading footballers.

I want to see a plan and a more prudent sensible approach to the running of SWFC not just a quck fix chuck some money at it in the hope it delivers the Premier League millions. In my opinion were a million miles from that.

I read this the other day, when i read something along the same lines but its about SWFC then i'll believe theres a concrete plan to build a club with proper solid foundations

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/deal-proposed-for-new-leeds-united-training-ground

5 hours ago, handworth52 said:

if you have been to every game this season like I have every player can go on that list ,last 5 games have been shocking its like some of the players have been here too long and have lost interest or is it just age catching up with them?

Completely agree with you. I don’t know what the answer is and who we should look to keep specifically. 

But I do know a massive rebuild job is required and I wouldn’t be sad if everyone of those players left the club in the summer.

27 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

This will be where the gravy train ends.

Lets hope DC has learnt his lesson and no more silly daft contracts to abolute wasters, losers and injury prone fading footballers.

I want to see a plan and a more prudent sensible approach to the running of SWFC not just a quck fix chuck some money at it in the hope it delivers the Premier League millions. In my opinion were a million miles from that.

I read this the other day, when i read something along the same lines but its about SWFC then i'll believe theres a concrete plan to build a club with proper solid foundations

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/deal-proposed-for-new-leeds-united-training-ground

Remember. Westwood, Lee & Lees were signed for nothing.

Van Aken, Rhodes & Abdi alone cost approx £14million.. 

Guest The Horse

No idea why there's such sentiment for Hutchinson.

He's one of the old guard of failure from the play-offs and is either injured, suspended or offering nothing else but hanging round the defence chatting to best mate Westwood.

As others have said, we need a good clean sweep out of the old guard and there's no room for sentiment.

Only Fletcher comes away with any pride in that list and even then he needs to accept a massive pay cut.

There's a lot of wages to free up there and we'll still be in FFP waters next summer.

Freshen up, let Monk get his vision together ready for DC to spend sensibly the season after next.

Yup.

It's that long term we have to look at.

14 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

The following players contracts end at the end of the season

J.Rhodes

F.Forestieri

S.Fletcher

S.Hutchinson

J.Pelupessy

S.Winnall

M.Fox

A.Nuhiu

C.Dawson

K.Lee

A.Baker

Obviously early days and we don't knoe who monk will favour but if the contracts was to end tomorrow ,who would you offer a new contract to ?

Purely on what they could contribute to the future of the team

I'd offer Dawson a new contract 

And fletcher (on much less wages) 

Rest could leave for me 

So based on this list we will have no strikers at the club if we resign none of them. Somewhat of a very worrying stat, but I thought Rhodes had another yet of his contract.

Offering new deal Fletcher and fessi but on reduced terms, Dawson,Lee and Hutch (but to develop into a player coaching role), the rest can go for me