Early predictions for Monk's first line-up

6 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

With Luongo been on international duty for Australia, I think it forces his hand a bit to be honest. 

The midfield is desperate for a shake up, but with only Luongo not arriving back from international duty til later in the week, I suspect we'll see the same midfield we've seen so far for the mostpart, Hutchinson-Bannan-Lee.  

Can't see past him playing a 4-3-3. Bates will come in for Lees if he's not fit. Harris and Reach will be either side of Fletcher.  Suspect Odubajo and Fox will get the nod at full back. 

Suspect Odubajo, is that his new name

• Haha 1

Westwood

Palmer.   Lees/Bates. Börner.     Fox

Hutchinson. Bannan

Reach.     Luongo.     Harris

Fletcher

13 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Westwood

Palmer.   Lees/Bates. Börner.     Fox

Hutchinson. Bannan

Reach.     Luongo.     Harris

Fletcher

That would be my preferred choice, yes Maybe Lee for Luongo, given his international excursion 

19 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I just feel we'd miss his dynamism and aggression in midfield bud. 

Reach is a real wilting flower, bannan can't tackle or mark, Lee is a bit too sportsmanlike and gentlemanly. 

Only leaves Luongo capable of putting a foot in. 

I agree with you re missing Hutchinson in midfield. 

My preferred midfield three would be Lee Hutchinson and Bannan.  However, in the absence of Lees I would hope switching Hutch to right sided centre back would not weaken us in defence and Luongo coming in for Hutch in midfield would not weaken us there either.

Edited by York_Owl

7 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I agree with you re missing Hutchinson in midfield. 

My preferred midfield three would be Lee Hutchinson and Bannan.  However, in the absence of Lees I would hope switching Hutch to right sided centre back would not weaken us in defence and Luongo coming in for Hutch in midfield would not weaken us there either.

I do believe especially as the cowleys will have Huddersfields players fired up and all have something to prove bannan will be swamped in cm and be nullified. 

Hence why I would put him on the bench and go with Loungo hutch n Lee in here to start, we can always bring him on when spaces start to appear and they tire. 

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I do believe especially as the cowleys will have Huddersfields players fired up and all have something to prove bannan will be swamped in cm and be nullified. 

Hence why I would put him on the bench and go with Loungo hutch n Lee in here to start, we can always bring him on when spaces start to appear and they tire. 

Wait a minute, shouldn’t our manager have us fired up? 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Wait a minute, shouldn’t our manager have us fired up? 

Yes he hopefully will have us all fired up and up for it. 

My point was more that in a packed midfield with a high press bannan becomes ineffective as he has no time on the ball or space. 

Hence why I was feeling starting with a more defensive /combative midfield would give us a more solid platform to start with, with bannan coming second half for maybe Lee or Loungo when spaces start to appear. 

I do think bannan is at his best when we're at home and need to break defensive teams down, as he gets lots of space and time on the ball to pick a pass. 

I think he will play a 442, that’s what he played at Brum. This team lost 3 games from Christmas onwards playing a 442, so more than capable. Bullen decided 433 and for me it didn’t work and essentially became a 4141. If we do play 442 it’ll be interesting to see who partners Fletcher...

On 12/09/2019 at 00:18, domSWFC said:

Hope to see something radical and exciting. 3 strikers, 2 wingers to provide. Best form of defence is attack. Win 8-6.

Glue smells nice. 

LINEUP111568204051363.png

As a visual experiment I converted that formation into another sport......

derby_630.jpg

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Yes he hopefully will have us all fired up and up for it. 

My point was more that in a packed midfield with a high press bannan becomes ineffective as he has no time on the ball or space. 

Hence why I was feeling starting with a more defensive /combative midfield would give us a more solid platform to start with, with bannan coming second half for maybe Lee or Loungo when spaces start to appear. 

I do think bannan is at his best when we're at home and need to break defensive teams down, as he gets lots of space and time on the ball to pick a pass. 

that to me sounds like the opposites are dictating team selection ….why not pick our best side and try to dictate to them …...carlos went to hudders with a lack of ambition and got pelters for It, i'd be disappointed if monk was to start off in a defensive frame of mind against a team at the bottom of the league . 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

that to me sounds like the opposites are dictating team selection ….why not pick our best side and try to dictate to them …...carlos went to hudders with a lack of ambition and got pelters for It, i'd be disappointed if monk was to start off in a defensive frame of mind against a team at the bottom of the league . 

I'm thinking tactically bud. 

It's like playing hutch as the holding midfielder at home against a side that turn up and park the bus. 

We would be better off playing another midfielder more comfortable on the ball that can help create, like Loungo or reach to help break them down. 

Likewise playing the two speed merchants of Harris & Murphy would also struggle against a team parking the bus as there's no space to exploit their pace , so (if available) the trickery and guile of Nando would be preferable.