Honest view from a Leeds fan.

1 hour ago, wakefieldinleed1 said:

Monk did very well at Leeds, sadly tailed off towards end of season.

Liked to play out of from the back, had good footballing defenders but didn’t over play, like say reading did under stam.

Overall a nice style of play, quite attacking

was quite good in the transfer market. Pablo has probably been our best pound for pound signing for years. Bartley another great loan signing. 

Had great backroom staff in Beattie and pep. Wood improved massively under Beattie.

Left leeds, because he didn’t really want a director of football. Did feel he’d run his course at Leeds though.

Wasn’t a great fan of his personality, abit smarmy, seemed to be all about him at times.

Overall, think it’s a very good appointment for you but don’t expect miracles, if your players aren’t good enough, he’s not going to get massive improvement out of them 

Thanks for that. Sounds decent

What's your opinion on Bielsa? 

I don't mind playing out from the back, if done with common sense ... Not philosophically like Bulgaria today

This often leads to Bannan playing a deep lying playmaker role. While that role is popular in top level football, it's not with a large portion of our fanbase ... 

After a few bad results, I can see the stingers rearing their ugly butts again post-445-0-03457500-1407231008.png 

39 minutes ago, wakefieldinleed1 said:

Birmingham was in difficult circumstances but they had some really good players 

Jota, Jutkiewicz, and Adams I would class as good players, but that doesn't make a team - especially so in this case as those three were all attacking players. And by the way, Adams had improved massively while Monk was there (no doubt down to working with Beattie).

That he was able to forge a competitive team out of what is essentially a good front line deserves a lot of credit, and up until their points deduction, they were even making headway on the play-offs.

It's also worth remembering that in his 15 months with them he'd barely been able to make any signings so the players that he was getting a tune out of were all overwhelmingly the squad he'd inherited; and since the side he took over looked very good for the drop, it's obvious he's got at least some talent in improving performance levels.

9 minutes ago, cowl said:

Jota, Jutkiewicz, and Adams I would class as good players, but that doesn't make a team - especially so in this case as those three were all attacking players. And by the way, Adams had improved massively while Monk was there (no doubt down to working with Beattie).

That he was able to forge a competitive team out of what is essentially a good front line deserves a lot of credit, and up until their points deduction, they were even making headway on the play-offs.

It's also worth remembering that in his 15 months with them he'd barely been able to make any signings so the players that he was getting a tune out of were all overwhelmingly the squad he'd inherited; and since the side he took over looked very good for the drop, it's obvious he's got at least some talent in improving performance levels.

Agreed. Can't say he did anything other than a cracking job at Brum. Some of my family are Brum fans and they all really rated what he did there- most prefer him to Judas Bruce!

5 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I don't mind playing out from the back, if done with common sense ... Not philosophically like Bulgaria today

This often leads to Bannan playing a deep lying playmaker role. While that role is popular in top level football, it's not with a large portion of our fanbase ... 

After a few bad results, I can see the stingers rearing their ugly butts again post-445-0-03457500-1407231008.png 

That isn't true. It's not the 'role' and how it relates to what other teams do that our fans typically have a view about, but merely about Bannan playing deep - or more to the point, those times when he does so but fails to have an impact on the game.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wakefieldinleed1 said:

Monk did very well at Leeds, sadly tailed off towards end of season.

Liked to play out of from the back, had good footballing defenders but didn’t over play, like say reading did under stam.

Overall a nice style of play, quite attacking

was quite good in the transfer market. Pablo has probably been our best pound for pound signing for years. Bartley another great loan signing. 

Had great backroom staff in Beattie and pep. Wood improved massively under Beattie.

Left leeds, because he didn’t really want a director of football. Did feel he’d run his course at Leeds though.

Wasn’t a great fan of his personality, abit smarmy, seemed to be all about him at times.

Overall, think it’s a very good appointment for you but don’t expect miracles, if your players aren’t good enough, he’s not going to get massive improvement out of them 

Thanks for taking the trouble to do an assessment

• Thanks 1

Monk is solid enough. He's got experience in dealing with big time Charlies, and we've a few of them at the club as well as working at this level in a Club that has the ability to be a force in the Prem. The Cowleys, like Jos, don't, and would have been cannon fodder as soon as we had a dip. Sometimes, managers and Clubs just click, Wilder at Utd, Moyes at Preston, Wagner at Udders are examples.  I hope Monk can do it because tbh, I don't know where we go next if he can't. Good luck Gary Monk.

• Like 1