What is wrong with people?

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But the point is, it’s OK for people to have a different opinion, and just because they are in the minority, they shouldn’t be dismissed as being anti Wednesday If you are passionate about the club you support, you don’t want to see them making mistakes, especially ones that can set them back years. Certainly I take no pleasure in Rhodes struggles at Hillsborough, why would I when the knock on effect is still being felt by all of us, including me.

As it happens, I don’t feel the same way about Monk. Perhaps slight reservations that he might not be given the time to build something sustainable, but that’s more about me being unsure whether the chairman now also sees it as a longer term project. 

However, if I did feel strongly that he was completely the wrong fit, then I, or anyone has the right to voice those fears. It’s all about opinions mate, and if somebody has a different one, they don’t need to be shouted down by the masses

I agree with most of that, what offends me more than anything else is being misquoted, or attributed to something I haven't said, I try not to be insulting to other people's opinions, however 

STOP MENTIONING RHODES, please.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But the point is, it’s OK for people to have a different opinion, and just because they are in the minority, they shouldn’t be dismissed as being anti Wednesday If you are passionate about the club you support, you don’t want to see them making mistakes, especially ones that can set them back years. Certainly I take no pleasure in Rhodes struggles at Hillsborough, why would I when the knock on effect is still being felt by all of us, including me.

As it happens, I don’t feel the same way about Monk. Perhaps slight reservations that he might not be given the time to build something sustainable, but that’s more about me being unsure whether the chairman now also sees it as a longer term project. 

However, if I did feel strongly that he was completely the wrong fit, then I, or anyone has the right to voice those fears. It’s all about opinions mate, and if somebody has a different one, they don’t need to be shouted down by the masses

Good point. When Jos arrived I'd spoken to my German mates who said he was useless, of course, I passed on the info on here and was lambasted for it.
We all see football differently, sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.... but you shouldn't have people trawl through the site and bring up items unrelated to this particular item.

We all want what's best for the club, we all have different ideas of how to get there. We'd all like to think we can pick the lottery numbers, but few of us ever win it.

17 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

English Lit O Level - I think someone was ululating in Lord of the Flies (ooh matron). I failed the exam and can hardly remember anything except ululate and the fact that the book was scary. 

I’m OK with Monk - he too is scary and the kind of bloke you’d want on your side rather than with the oppos. UTO

Yes but would you want him ululating over you...?

Groan. Sorry I'm just very very bored. Agree with you. Quite like the fact he looks a bit wimpy but seems to have the air of crazy aggression about him. 

7 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Yep,. I didn't want Monk, for the reason I stated, same as Bruce, who I didn't want coz he was a disloyal bellend, and well, he turned out to still be a disloyal bellend lol

That's fair enough, and I have to admit my only reservation is the ongoing issues with his former chairmen and whether that might affect Monk's work here. I still reckon I'd rather have him than no manager, though!

I only quoted your post (among others) to highlight to the poster above that the appointment has been met with some criticism or insults, as he didn't seem to have seen any.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I completely agree with this and you're absolutely within your right to have an opinion. The Rhodes line has just got a little stale. We all get it and have seen numerous examples from you as to why it didn't work. I feel the same and the benefit of hindsight many others probably do too (Including the Chairman).

But you're right you should be allowed to voice your concern in a constructive manner. 

I genuinely feel Monk is a pragmatic choice in our circumstances.

Safe, a bit unimaginative, but he knows what this league takes. I would probably have the same view of Rowett but I think he would have wanted to bring in Kevin Phillips and a big backroom staff. Other experienced tough nuts whether Pearson, Pulis and Megson would have come with different conditions and different amounts of baggage.

Im personally glad we haven’t gone for an exotic foreign coach this time round - for every Bielsa and Farke there is a Magath and ________ (insert name). Doesn’t mean to say we can’t get one in the future but my feeling is that this is the last throw of the dice with this squad. If Monk can’t get us near the play offs, it will be the end of a cycle and we will need a clear out and maybe a Cowley type project thereafter. 

A perfectly reasonable, albeit not overly spectacular appointment...

But then (concerning the latter point) we are SWFC, a mid-table Championship team, so those expecting spectacular were always going to get upset. 

Given time, I reckon Monk does a pretty good job here. 

3 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I genuinely feel Monk is a pragmatic choice in our circumstances.

Safe, a bit unimaginative, but he knows what this league takes. I would probably have the same view of Rowett but I think he would have wanted to bring in Kevin Phillips and a big backroom staff. Other experienced tough nuts whether Pearson, Pulis and Megson would have come with different conditions and different amounts of baggage.

Im personally glad we haven’t gone for an exotic foreign coach this time round - for every Bielsa and Farke there is a Magath and ________ (insert name). Doesn’t mean to say we can’t get one in the future but my feeling is that this is the last throw of the dice with this squad. If Monk can’t get us near the play offs, it will be the end of a cycle and we will need a clear out and maybe a Cowley type project thereafter. 

We don't know what a Monk project might look like, to be honest.

The closest he's come to building anything long-term was in his first post at Swansea, where he kept them up after initially taking over, then guided them to 8th place in the Premier League during his only full season there. The following season, he was sacked with Swansea sat 15th in the Premier League.

Since then, some harsh sackings and perhaps the odd poor decision of his own have conspired to rob him of the chance to build anything which could reasonably be called a 'project'.

Walking out on Leeds after turning them from habitual mid-table also-rans into playoff contenders meant that we didn't get a chance to see how he might have kicked on there; Middlesbrough sacked him after half a season when they sat three points off the playoff places; and then Birmingham got rid after his first full season saw him overcome their nine-point deduction and guide them to mid-table safety.

Hopefully his stint at Hillsborough will afford him the opportunity to really put his stamp on a squad, build a way of playing, and establish some long-term stability.

Desperation from the Cowleys, deciding after all to take the Hudds job

I said the other day they are playing a dangerous game turning down bigger clubs. Football has a habit of biting you on the backside and you can be forgotten very quickly

On 07/09/2019 at 18:42, IWEDFM said:

I know everyone has the right to an opinion but the guy hasn't even taken a training session yet

People calling it a dreadful appointment are those who wanted Cowley but I honestly don't see the big deal with him. Yes he's done well in the lower leagues but he is untested in the Championship. It would have been one of those where it either comes off or turns out to be a complete disaster

You mean like every appointment lol 

• Like 1