Anyone else think Carlos was consulted

22 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Don't really understand this.

It was always my understanding that we massively over achieved that season, reached Wembley totally unexpectedly, probably before we were ready and playing a team that arguably were stronger in every area of the pitch. We lost to a single worldy goal & somehow it is the guy who made us over achieve ie Carlos who is to blame.

I absolutely do not understand the hatred towards Carlos, I really don't.

He was like a breath of fresh air after everything we had gone through, gave us the best couple of seasons we'd had since the early 90s and fine, it didn't quite pan out. We also had more media attention than we had seen in living memory.

Why we can't just accept that he did what he did, it didn't quite pan out & move on without the undeserved vitriol is beyond me. 

There is no written rule that everyone has to be either a total Saint or a total Sinner, although that binary thinking seems to be the norm on here.

Carlos made mistakes, like all managers, but he did an awful lot right as well. FFS stop painting him in a totally negative light. 

He wishes us well & gets this Sh*t back!!!

Absolutely bang on rob this hatred makes my p°ss boil bet half of them never sat through a game under turner, yorath or shreeves, we played some of the best football I'd seen in years all manages make mistakes but the hatred I don't get at all.

9 hours ago, Rogers said:

Just to add a bit of perspective, we’ve only won the top league 4 times since 1867 and haven’t won a league (any league) since 1959. 

In 91, with one of our greatest teams, we only managed to finished 3rd (in the second tier); luckily that meant promotion in those days. 

Based on our history I’d say it’s an achievement for Wednesday just to compete at the right end of the table; not a raving success obviously.  

So you’re right, Wednesday have rarely been winners (don’t know what it’s like to be winners); If being close is a total failure, than everyone since 1959 needs to be included, with exception of the League cup in 91 team. (Not counting a shitty season in League 1 and beating Hartlepool at Cardiff - that season we’re were awful IMO). 

Fans of Wednesday could be forgiven for being more content with just competing at the right end, rather than the normal struggle. 

Think we all understand it is about winning. We go to win not for a day out, however the Play off final was a great occasion but was still gutted we didn't win. Just some of has a bit of perspective, luckily I have seen us win twice at Wembley and in Europe. Ok we all wanted more but that's football.

On 07/09/2019 at 08:21, Womble Owl said:

I wouldn't have a problem with any of that. I actually think he's a decent bloke and very knowledgeable about football. 

I've met him twice and had a little chat, both times came across as genuine and sincere. 

He should have been given more time here,as obviously getting rid of him didn't do wonders

Aye, in the same way that we shouldn’t have gotten rid of Bruce...

Actually, like Bruce, CC jumped ship to his boyhood club.

22 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Just a pile of incoherent, rambling,nonsensical bitterness that has no link to the reality of the day. 

He performed miracles to get us to Wembley in the first place but they were stronger in every dept before a ball was even kicked & it was only decided by a 30 yard worldy.

If you want to remember it in the terms you describe, fine, but don't inflict your views & try and infect others who see it in a more balanced realistic way.

"Staggeringly shameful"???    Seriously!!!  

tactically hadn't a clue, no plan B all season long.

22 hours ago, Mycroft said:

So we have a divine right to win just because you stamp your foot?  

we had 'no divine right to win' and no one has said anything about it other that you.

we had the right to put up our best show, and in consecutive years play offs we didn't.

it would be better than watching it go south (again) and doing nothing.

Carlos allowed me to watch Wednesday play at Wembley despite the result, and some exciting football, been a supporter since 2000’s and was the best we’ve probably been as a team. We are in a decent place as a club and it’s not that bad being and owl at the minute. Just let Monk have a crack at least we actually have a manager & to the post I reckon he was just wishing him well :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

we had 'no divine right to win' and no one has said anything about it other that you.

we had the right to put up our best show, and in consecutive years play offs we didn't.

it would be better than watching it go south (again) and doing nothing.

"No divine right" thats how your post came across as. 

Sometimes you come across better teams on the day that's how it goes sometimes.  Just a shame it was in such important games.

I don’t dislike Carlos, I just think he made some poor decisions at crucial stages. 

At the end of the day he got us closer than any manager has done since we were relegated in 2000. Deserves respect for that. But I do attribute this massive hangover we’ve had since the Huddersfield game to some of his decisions - particularly with injuries.

I don’t blame him for transfers, I still think a lot of that was out of his hands. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Just now, Mycroft said:

"No divine right" thats how your post came across as. 

Sometimes you come across better teams on the day that's how it goes sometimes.  Just a shame it was in such important games.

we had to 'right' to put up our best performance, that's the only right we had, other than the expectation that the officials would be even handed (and they were).

hull were the 'better team on the day' because we had no second choice for tactics, bruce was by far the better manager.

westwood to f/b, f/b to c/b, c/b to c/b, c/b to f/b... we all know the routine, we saw it all season long, two minutes after westwood had rolled it out to the first f/b we were crossing the half way line into 'packed' hull defensive positions. 

carvalhal 'flogged that dead horse all game long' it wasn't working in the first 5 minutes, it wasn't working 3 minutes from time (1-0 down) when westwood for the umpteenth time rolled it out to the f/b to hopefully launch another attack before the final whistle went 3 minutes later.

watching us at wembley, and in both games v. 'uddersfield reminded me of old away legs of european games where the away side has very little intention of attacking, and is running the clock down to stop the opposition scoring any more that they already have. I could understand it at 'uddersfield (we were away), but the rest was just naivety, from a man who knew too little. 

36 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

tactically hadn't a clue, no plan B all season long.

You’re on about a plan B when he finished 6th and 4th :laugh:, the foook are you on about 

So his plan A must have been pretty darn amazing 

Edited by FreshOwl

8 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

we had to 'right' to put up our best performance, that's the only right we had, other than the expectation that the officials would be even handed (and they were).

hull were the 'better team on the day' because we had no second choice for tactics, bruce was by far the better manager.

westwood to f/b, f/b to c/b, c/b to c/b, c/b to f/b... we all know the routine, we saw it all season long, two minutes after westwood had rolled it out to the first f/b we were crossing the half way line into 'packed' hull defensive positions. 

carvalhal 'flogged that dead horse all game long' it wasn't working in the first 5 minutes, it wasn't working 3 minutes from time (1-0 down) when westwood for the umpteenth time rolled it out to the f/b to hopefully launch another attack before the final whistle went 3 minutes later.

watching us at wembley, and in both games v. 'uddersfield reminded me of old away legs of european games where the away side has very little intention of attacking, and is running the clock down to stop the opposition scoring any more that they already have. I could understand it at 'uddersfield (we were away), but the rest was just naivety, from a man who knew too little. 

Think you over analysing its not a game of chess, yes I wish that CC had kept to his attacking style which he seemed to give up on towards the end of the first season.  

You could argue that Hull could have picked us off so much easier if we had gone out with an attacking style.  Hull whilst always looked the better side had to rely on a brilliant goal to win, on another day that could have been one of our players scoring instead.

Small margins.

Why are we putting so much emphasis on the PAST. Carlos is long gone, the Wembley dream turned into a nightmare, we've had two managers and two spel ls of Caretaker Manager since then. We have now got what everyone has been saying we need, a young, experienced English manager. Surely this is time for a NEW start A chap has agreed to take us on despite all the troubles that beset us as a club. For once, can we become what we all claim we are. Let us all for once become the word we hate to use UNITED in support for our  Club, out Team, our Manager, who, like it or not is Garry Monk, accept that we, as Wednesdayites , will never agree on many things, and get behind the Boys in Blue  After all , we claim WAWAW

Just now, Mycroft said:

Think you over analysing its not a game of chess, yes I wish that CC had kept to his attacking style which he seemed to give up on towards the end of the first season.  

You could argue that Hull could have picked us off so much easier if we had gone out with an attacking style.  Hull whilst always looked the better side had to rely on a brilliant goal to win, on another day that could have been one of our players scoring instead.

Small margins.

it's not 'over analysed', though it may seem so to some. 

I would have rather have lost 3-1/4-2 giving it a proper go, than 'humbly creep' out the way we did.

as for the 'uddersfield debacle, there's just no excuse whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Why are we putting so much emphasis on the PAST. Carlos is long gone, the Wembley dream turned into a nightmare, we've had two managers and two spel ls of Caretaker Manager since then. We have now got what everyone has been saying we need, a young, experienced English manager. Surely this is time for a NEW start A chap has agreed to take us on despite all the troubles that beset us as a club. For once, can we become what we all claim we are. Let us all for once become the word we hate to use UNITED in support for our  Club, out Team, our Manager, who, like it or not is Garry Monk, accept that we, as Wednesdayites , will never agree on many things, and get behind the Boys in Blue  After all , we claim WAWAW

Lets not use that word eh 

4 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

what's the topic title?

I assume we are all behind monk (well all but any idiots) it's more WAMAW?

Just now, Mycroft said:

Jesus if that happened you would had exploded in fit of apoplexy 

???

what i'd have been upset if we'd have given it our best on the day?

are you looking in a mirror and typing?

all you can ask for is 'everyone giving their best on the day' 

whilst you it seems were happy with what carlos delivered on each of the mentioned occasions.