Official Welm thread 2019/20

I'd go 6.5/10. Monk is a young manager, with Premier  league and championship experience who has inherited a better squad than we had last year.

My only point of confusion, is why we waited 2 months, if he was the best candidate and available.Still, appointed now so hopefully we'll see some good football and consolidate around the play off positions.

6.5 / 10......cautiously optimistic..............Monk wouldn't have been my or many others first choice but I get the distinct impression we are not in any financial position to pick and choose, so appointing a manager who has proved he can operate under constraints might not be as disasterous as some are making out.

Thing is , after Bruce doing the dirty everything feels flat , it is all a question of timing, had we appointed Monk after Luhukay I think we would have all been quite happy.

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I suspect DC was after at last a few others before Monk, but was turned down.  Monk not first choice by any means. Perhaps the only one who would take the job at terms being offered. 

He will have a big job to do to convince our fans. A bit like Bruce at Newcastle. 

If he succeeds great....if he doesn't we will have another manager search. Who knows how soon that may be. 

My personal view is that he doesn't have a lot of personality or fan appeal.

Good luck though. 

Think we'll be looking for a new manager within the next 6 months tbh

• Haha 1

The EFL will do what they will do, and DC can fight that one. I'm sure he's prepared and ready. Nando will continue to be targeted by the FA and almost everyone else, for whatever. SAG, Sheffield Council, Johnny Smothermole, and SYP will continue trying to shut us down and generally denigrate everything about us. These external factors are what they are. 

So.......................Garry Monk. Not a "whoop-out-loud / party popper / rip your shirt off and run around all belly wobbling like Tango on acid" appointment, but has done well at some clubs and OK at others. His career suggests he needs to stick somewhere for some time to avoid getting a reputation, DC needs to do the same, and we the fans need to accept that we're not suddenly going to start winning 9-0 every week, and anything less means we get to boo and hound him out after 5 games. We need to give him a good chunk of the season to form a view, accept he has FFP constraints to work within, and (importantly) a selection of forwards who aren't exactly lethal in front of goal. In short, he can only work with what he's inherited, work with the money and constraints he's given, and do his best.

Let's give him a fair chance, welcome him to the Wednesday family, and support him when he needs it. Who knows, it could work. 

Edited by Sheffield1973
error
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1