Positive spin on Monk

Monk was never my first choice, but thinking about it he does have higher league experience, big player experience, is young, and is a 'modern' type of manager. A bit iffy on his transfer dealings, but I'm sure this will now be scrutinised closely. 

Looking forward to seeing how he goes, I hope he is given time, which his previous employers don't seem to have given him. 

I also admire DC for not poaching or tapping up another clubs manager. Are we becoming the 'good conscience' club? 

22 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Hmm so would you rather do that in this league or the division aboive. Seeing better quality players, having cup runs and the potential of European football. Come off it 

No - just joking / observing that survival and possible mediocrity in the prem are the target for a lot of prem teams :)

On 06/09/2019 at 14:50, paddyowl said:

Would have all them (Except McLaren) instead of Monk.

If Monk is announced this afternoon it will be a massively underwhelming  appointment, I'd rather us stick with Lee Bullen.

7 weeks and we've ended up here FFS !!

Bit like parliament on here  can't agree on the colour of sh..I.. t.e, everyone has  a opinion, I'm prepared to roll with it and see what happens. 

Guest LondonOwl313
9 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Having slept on it it’s a decent appointment. If we weren’t so heavily linked with Cowley I think a lot more people would be happy with Monk getting the job, especially when you consider how at one point it looked like it could be Pulis, Coleman or Zola. As long as Cowley doesn’t go to Huddersfield, which for me would be a real kick in the balls! 

How do you know Cowley will be all that? He’s got one promotion from League 2 on his CV and some non league ones. We’re in the second tier of English football where players average salaries are 15k a week. It’s lightyears away from the Cowley’s. I’m glad we dodged it to be honest, would have just been a massive risk. People who prefer the Cowley’s to Monk are romanticising about something that might not even be there tbh

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

My post was three separate routes we could have gone down.

Would like us to build something. Monk just seems like a quick fix to me.  I appreciate Chansiri’s English isn’t great and he doesn’t like the press, but his reason for appointing Monk was that ‘he did well at Birmingham and they didn’t have very good players’. Hardly fills me with confidence. 

This is a bloke who has been a manager for 5 years and has had 4 clubs already and a history of falling out with chairmen and walking. Currently being investigated for dodgy transfer dealings. I apologise if I’m not enthusiastic about this appointment - just apathy really.

Why not apply for the DOF position you keep withering on about, you seem to know more than the rest of us. 

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

How do you know Cowley will be all that? He’s got one promotion from League 2 on his CV and some non league ones. We’re in the second tier of English football where players average salaries are 15k a week. It’s lightyears away from the Cowley’s. I’m glad we dodged it to be honest, would have just been a massive risk. People who prefer the Cowley’s to Monk are romanticising about something that might not even be there tbh

I think fans found the Cowleys attractive because it was not yer run of the mill roundabout Championship manager, which Monk, Pulis Holloway etc are.

Lets face it...Once Bruce had gone we needed something different..

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I think fans found the Cowleys attractive because it was not yer run of the mill roundabout Championship manager, which Monk, Pulis Holloway etc are.

Lets face it...Once Bruce had gone we needed something different..

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d imagine the higher up the ladder you go, the harder it is being a manager. 

I’m sure that these run of the mill championship managers would do well in League 2 tbf.. people think that because the Cowley’s are unproven at this level means it’s more likely they’ll be a success than other managers who have tried and failed

In reality it’s likely the opposite because they will need to make mistakes to learn. Particularly when the difference between League 2 and the Championship is a vast gulf

16 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Where did I say we were? I hate when people blame the fans. 

Its just bloody annoying being happy or content with mediocrity. 

Just plod along being unambitious, just surviving. Where’s the fun in that. 

Looking back, I think we're pretty much back to where we were before DC took over but no manager can guarantee success, Hughton was my first choice, while on holiday talking to a couple of Brighton fans who said the last 18 months of his tenure was simply dreadful and he had to go. The love in with the Cowleys with some was questionable, they've only managed in lower leagues. DC was never going to pay compensation for a manager,it had become apparent Bullen wasn't the answer so I think it was just DC'S  personal preference and don't forget he can't promise an open cheque book anymore,so we're not as attractive as 3yrs ago. 

Edited by gizowl

13 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I think he has arguably a higher ceiling and standing than Bruce in British football.

You really think that? 

Bruce is yesterday’s man. He has as good a record as any in the championship but that doesn’t count for much - he has historically struggled in the prem and has one of the lowest win percentages in the premier league despite his experience over the likes of Monk. Monk imo so far has demonstrated more aptitude in the top tier and more promise than Bruce did at this stage of his managerial career. In terms of reputation I don’t think there is a lot in it and I genuinely think Monk could surpass Bruce as I don’t rate Bruce’s managerial career as being particularly successful.

Edited by TrueOwl

2 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Bruce is yesterday’s man. He has as good a record as any in the championship but that doesn’t count for much - he has historically struggled in the prem and has one of the lowest win percentages in the premier league despite his experience over the likes of Monk. Monk imo so far has demonstrated more aptitude in the top tier and more promise than Bruce did at this stage of his managerial career. In terms of reputation I don’t think there is a lot in it and I genuinely think Monk could surpass Bruce as I don’t rate Bruce’s managerial career as being particularly successful.

The revisionism over Bruce is something.  He's a yeoman dinosaur, but coming after the two continental charlatans beforehand, he looked like a Messiah.

19 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Love this type of OT discussion where ITK and IMO tells it how it is rather than fact and reality. For the record:

Bruce

Reached FA Cup Final with Hull and qualified for Europa League

Promoted with Birmingham

Reached and won First Division Play-Offs with Birmingham & Hull (twice)

Reached Championship Play-Off Final with Aston Villa

Reached Second Division play-offs with Wigan

Premier League finishes 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th (twice)

Currently managing a mid-table team in Premier League

Managed for 909 games with a win percentage of 38.4%

Gary Monk

Reached Round of 32 in Europa League

Finished 8th in Premier League

Currently managing a mid-table team in Championship 

Managed for 215 games with a win percentage of 39.1%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Love this type of OT discussion where ITK and IMO tells it how it is rather than fact and reality. For the record:

Bruce

Reached FA Cup Final with Hull and qualified for Europa League

Promoted with Birmingham

Reached and won First Division Play-Offs with Birmingham & Hull (twice)

Reached Championship Play-Off Final with Aston Villa

Reached Second Division play-offs with Wigan

Premier League finishes 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th (twice)

Currently managing a mid-table team in Premier League

Managed for 909 games with a win percentage of 38.4%

Gary Monk

Reached Round of 32 in Europa League

Finished 8th in Premier League

Currently managing a mid-table team in Championship 

Managed for 215 games with a win percentage of 39.1%

In the interest of fairness it would be interesting to see what Bruce had achieved at Monk's age

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

The more this pans out the more I really like the idea of Garry Monk! We haven't had anyone in recent history with his edge, his passion on the touch line and his "style to fit the players" ethos! Good 1st game for him after the Wagner touch line assault incident! Hopefully he will make us hated by opposition fans! If that happens we'll be a good side....