EFL commission independent ground valuation?

The lawyers will have been all over this with a fine toothcomb and I'm sure a suitably qualified surveyor will have valued the stadium. Neither the lawyers or the valuer will be wanting their professional credibility put at risk so they should have made sure they did things correctly.

At the end of the day valuers may disagree on the figure but then it comes down to which valuer you believe.

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Been lucky in my experiences then, well as lucky as you can be with auditors 

They are just doing this to be seen to do something...so they don't seem incompetent and toothless.

Maybe it will scare other clubs from doing the same thing.....or that's what they are hoping.

Chansiri is no mug...neither is the Derby owner.

It's all been done within the rules.

1 hour ago, Anus said:

Sorry to step off my Cowley cloud, but Ram's mate sent me this. Can you backdate a loophole? Seems to be from The Time's.  I don't know if it's worth worrying about or not? Surely DC's finance and legal bods crawled all over the sale.

https://mobile.twitter.com/deanocx/status/1169319282402111488?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1169319282402111488&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdcfcfans.uk%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdeanocx%2Fstatus%2F1169319282402111488

Apols I can't embed tweets or if it's been done before?

Edit Time's link https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/derby-countys-purchase-of-pride-park-investigated-by-efl-rdm0jwzws?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1567620539

Thats another 6 game ban for Forrestieri

• Haha 1

The method of valuation for football grounds will be set - it should be existing use, which then includes assumptions around potential albeit hypothetical revenue (rent) multiplied by a yield to assess the asset value. 

The insurance valuation is a re-build cost, which would be to replace the stadium as it stands with adjustments for current regulations.

How the company got to the £60m figure will be in the detail - it will however, have been produced by a regulated company who wouldn't risk their chartership status in blatantly overvaluing at the obvious pressure and instruction of their client (SWFC). 

The EFL's P&S states they have the right to check the valuations in the regs - this is after the accounts are filed and a separately regulated exercise as far I know. Therefore, it was always going to be scrutinized and 'signed off' by the EFL anyhow. The delay with the Derby assessment seems quite a long time from their 'deal'. Maybe this is just a public sign of transparency by the EFL or just going through the motions to avoid criticism?

3 minutes ago, trev said:

They are just doing this to be seen to do something...so they don't seem incompetent and toothless.

Maybe it will scare other clubs from doing the same thing.....or that's what they are hoping.

This is an interesting point.."rules"..

We submit accounts to two bodies..one governed by law...and a private business..

this is ridiculous, the value of something is based on what someone is willing to pay..   Valuing something like a football ground is extremely subjective and there is also emotion involved.  For example i'm sure to the 85 year old lady down the road the ground has not value to her.  

It may only be worth that much to one person, just like i am sure certain sentimental items may have very little value but certain people would be willing to pay a huge amount, in this sense as there has been a sale then the value is what was paid, even if it is only worth that much to that one person.

This is just the EFL not happy that a few clubs have found loopholes in their stupid rules so are trying to make up new interpretations of rules to try and punish them.  Mind you given what happened to Bury it does make you wonder if the EFL see clubs as an annoyance to their organisation that they would rather be without. 

Maybe if the EFL didnt stop owners who have the money to spend , from spending it , then they wouldnt have to find loopholes to exploit . This whole thing says more about the EFL than the clubs who have used this loophole. 

9 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

this is ridiculous, the value of something is based on what someone is willing to pay..   Valuing something like a football ground is extremely subjective and there is also emotion involved.  For example i'm sure to the 85 year old lady down the road the ground has not value to her.  

It may only be worth that much to one person, just like i am sure certain sentimental items may have very little value but certain people would be willing to pay a huge amount, in this sense as there has been a sale then the value is what was paid, even if it is only worth that much to that one person.

This is just the EFL not happy that a few clubs have found loopholes in their stupid rules so are trying to make up new interpretations of rules to try and punish them.  Mind you given what happened to Bury it does make you wonder if the EFL see clubs as an annoyance to their organisation that they would rather be without. 

No its not - it's based on very clear and robust rules. 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

60m 

And not "pumped in" the sum is still showing as money owed for the sale by the company that bought it - looked like it was payable over 8 years

Interesting stuff that the EFL would seek to dispute a valuation that was presumably professionally prepared and signed off as being "true and fair" by auditors. 

Is this slow payment arrangement for tax reasons or merely to allow regular funds to trickle into the club? Why do I have a nagging feeling it’s because he’s selling the club and this is a way to avoid putting too much in ahead of the sale?

Well this is not a surprise.

DC has obviously paid well over the odds to buy the stadium. For the same acreage it's probably Fulham prices and he's done it to try to get round FFP and financially support and protect our club.

I've never understood the point of FFP because it only seems to exist to protect the interests of richer clubs (and Steve Gibson).

At best the EFL is incompetent. If they have any integrity, I'd like to know what it it is.

1 hour ago, trev said:

That's my genuine hope, I listened to some of the talksport interview at work with Mel Morris (between the ads, I mean, FFS that show is worse than the The Star on my phone, but I digress..) he made reference that the ground could not be overvalued due to having to satisfy HM tax man. So I kind of think Srcubber Gibson and Leeds' just can't let anything go, and the EFL are just pandering to Leeds'*, probably at Sky's request **

* Not sure anyone cares about Gibson

** Don't panic, just sorting the tin foil helmet as we speak....