This list of ex managers

50 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

My memory might be pulling a fast one but I seem to recall that Shreeves was Jewell's assistant, got bumped up. Yorath was his assistant, then got bumped up.

Shreeves was assistant to Pleat, but lived in Bradway so may have stayed local.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking about the Jewell / Shreeves / Yorath era makes me want to weep into my morning coffee, literally everything about that time was beyond wànk. To the point where despair was often replaced with hysterical, humourless laughter. Because it was so bad, it had to be a joke right?

Compare that period to Gray and Carlos and realise why so many people were still supporting him staying for so long!

While I’m sure it’s true that over the years some good managers will have turned us down, we really have made some awful awful appointments. Far too many tired journeymen (Jones, Jos) cheap options (Shreeves, Yorath) and flash-in-The-pan bosses (Turner, Wilson) on that list.

Oh that we’d push the boat out and make an ambitious appointment like we did with Ron and Jack or else pick an up-and-coming boss whose been building an excellent reputation in the lower leagues with multiple clubs. So rarely seems to happen and I think that’s been a huge part of our problem the last 20 years. 

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

To be fair to Jewell, when he took over us we were in utter free fall, there wasn't a manager alive that would have saved us at that time.

Yet Shreeves took over and completely changed the form and fortunes of the team.

Jewel was awful, utterly awful.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Only two promotions, Jones and Sturrock, I believe? Although Carlos was probably the best coach, having the best win ratio, and at a higher level

Indeed. he only had to spend all the transfer/wages money all the other managers had spent combined to achieve it..