Cowleys Poll!

Cowleys . You decide!  

925 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question. Do you want the Cowleys ?

• YES -
    • NO -

15 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

But I don’t think our players would accept them, I could see another Jos situation developing, when the Cowley’s start dropping one or two crowd favourites

That's a fair point Hoots, one that I have thought about myself. It's onething dealing with lads at a lower level. Some who have other jobs that playing football. 

Lads who will run through brick walls for you after you have lifted their careers by getting them up the leagues.

Dealing with ready made millionaires who have often been cosseted since school age through the game  is a totally different thing.

That said.... Man Management is man management.   Arrigo Sacchi was a shoe salesman and moved up to deal with the likes of big  heads like Frank Rijkaard and Ruud Gullit ,so it can be done. 

That's what I'm clinging to anyway!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

That's a fair point Hoots, one that I have thought about myself. It's onething dealing with lads at a lower level. Some who have other jobs that playing football. 

Lads who will run through brick walls for you after you have lifted their careers by getting them up the leagues.

Dealing with ready made millionaires who have often been cosseted since school age through the game  is a totally different thing.

That said.... Man Management is man management.   Arrigo Sacchi was a shoe salesman and moved up to deal with the likes of big  heads like Frank Rijkaard and Ruud Gullit ,so it can be done. 

That's what I'm clinging to anyway!

What I would say to anybody questioning the Cowley's man management skills is that these blokes were teachers who have had years of training, learning how to deal with all sorts of childish antics and situations, the kinds of situations that can quickly develop in a classroom or dressing room situation are very similar, just with bigger kids in a dressing room. I would also say that there are no real superstars in our squad that can really brag too much about all the wonderful things that they have done in their careers, whereas these two took a non-league team that were in financial difficulties and had not got above half way in the National league for several seasons (5?), took them back up to the football league, then again to the third tier for the first time since 1999, while having great levels of success in the FA cup, beating a couple of championship clubs before taking it out on premiership opposition. Quite a few of our star players have feasted on the one win against Arsenal (just one division above us) ever since we beat them. The Cowleys also took Lincoln to Wembley for the first time since they were formed 133 years earlier. So what could such a management team do for players who have more ability?

Anybody doubting their tactical awareness (I was one) ought to check out the interview they gave after the Burnley game where they mentally, physically and tactically managed the game to perfection.

OK they are untried at this level, but they have the attitude that no team is unbeatable, every team has weaknesses and they have done very well in their attempts at unpicking the vast majority of teams that they have faced up to now. I would say that they are less of a gamble than say a Tony Pulis, whose stock seems to be falling of late.

• Like 2

We need someone who the players will respond to, someone who has a nasty side, a Bruce, a Big Sam, a Dyche, that type. 

My choice ice would be Neil at Preston, but I think Chansiri has made his mind up it’s either the Cowley’s or Pulis

I think one or the other will be installed by Monday. 

Of the two I’d prefer the Cowley’s, simply because I’d sooner watch paint dry than watch a team that plays simply for corners, free kicks and throw ins

Having said that, I think either would do better than Bullen, that’s because the players are too matey with him

If Bullen wants to be a manager, he needs to go away and cut his teeth somewhere

This clubwill always be too big for a novice manager to cut his teeth on

I know statistically, Bullen has a good record, but statistics don’t tell the whole story and they can easily be bent to suit

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

What I would say to anybody questioning the Cowley's man management skills is that these blokes were teachers who have had years of training, learning how to deal with all sorts of childish antics and situations, the kinds of situations that can quickly develop in a classroom or dressing room situation are very similar, just with bigger kids in a dressing room.

poirot1.png.23d74a93789dc5c650e8d8c724260a6f.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

What I would say to anybody questioning the Cowley's man management skills is that these blokes were teachers who have had years of training, learning how to deal with all sorts of childish antics and situations, the kinds of situations that can quickly develop in a classroom or dressing room situation are very similar, just with bigger kids in a dressing room. I would also say that there are no real superstars in our squad that can really brag too much about all the wonderful things that they have done in their careers, whereas these two took a non-league team that were in financial difficulties and had not got above half way in the National league for several seasons (5?), took them back up to the football league, then again to the third tier for the first time since 1999, while having great levels of success in the FA cup, beating a couple of championship clubs before taking it out on premiership opposition. Quite a few of our star players have feasted on the one win against Arsenal (just one division above us) ever since we beat them. The Cowleys also took Lincoln to Wembley for the first time since they were formed 133 years earlier. So what could such a management team do for players who have more ability?

Anybody doubting their tactical awareness (I was one) ought to check out the interview they gave after the Burnley game where they mentally, physically and tactically managed the game to perfection.

OK they are untried at this level, but they have the attitude that no team is unbeatable, every team has weaknesses and they have done very well in their attempts at unpicking the vast majority of teams that they have faced up to now. I would say that they are less of a gamble than say a Tony Pulis, whose stock seems to be falling of late.

I understand all that, but we have internationals in our squad, and some very wealthy young men

The Cowley’s will need all the man management skills they’ve got

I can’t see them getting players like Reach to stick his foot into a tackle never mind run through a brick wall

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Anyone remember Bruce dropping bannan because he was set for a ban(excuse me)?

He came to the ground and a poster on here said that bannan said.."he doesn't trust me". And everyone laughed..

He was the captain against QPR and couldn't get a foot in because he was on(another) yellow...

Whoever comes in needs to sort out this kind of attitude..

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I understand all that, but we have internationals in our squad, and some very wealthy young men

The Cowley’s will need all the man management skills they’ve got

I can’t see them getting players like Reach to stick his foot into a tackle never mind run through a brick wall

I don't think the Cowleys will be able to change some fans established opinions about players either.

When you look at the actual facts recorded for every game this season, Fox has made more tackles than anybody per game so far, just ahead of Keiren Lee, while Adam Reach is 6th in the list (again per game) making half a tackle more per game than Tom Lees, so maybe fans should manage their expectations better and realise the true worth of players rather than just getting the wrong idea stuck in their heads forever and a day a despite all the facts proving the contrary. Adam Reach also commits more than six times as many fouls than Tom Lees too, but before you try and get your head around that one it is important to consider how the different players play, how much of the time they are facing the ball/opponent and whereabouts they are on the pitch. Luckily, players like Tom Lees & Adam Reach are not stupid enough to try and get themselves crippled, or sent off at every opportunity (we have others in the team who are much better at letting the team down that way) and despite having very different roles in the team they both try to use the skills that they do have to play well wherever they are asked to play on the pitch. I would expect a good manager to get the best out of all of the players and to sell or get rid of those that do not do what is asked of them. Bullen has already told us that most of the players did not do what was asked of them, so where would that leave us if Bullen was manager? 

Here is another alien concept that might adjust our success versus spend (debt) ratio, maybe our managers and players should be paid subject to what they achieve for Sheffield Wednesday rather than being based on where they have played and what they have done prior to coming to Sheffield Wednesday? Then managers and players will be on a par wage wise and our wealthy players will only get wealthier by doing things that benefit the club also. We have played a major part in too many average players pension plans for far too long and that really should be stopped if ever we are going to have a team that plays better on the pitch than should do on their past records or alleged ability. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

Time for a Monk poll now?

Good God no!

We know the club have people looking at this site to see what we're on with. Guage the mood. Last thing we need is some chump seeing Monks name and giving DC green light from the fans to get him!

Would be another daft appointment. Lower league personalities with relative success at a little family club, leaving their comfort zones, trying to control established internationals, and some who have played in the Premier League, with big egos?

I’ll refer back to the need to use the same profile in our manager search as we used to recruit Bruce.

Seriously lads, its not bloody rocket science this.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Would be another daft appointment. Lower league personalities with relative success at a little family club, leaving their comfort zones, trying to control established internationals, and some who have played in the Premier League, with big egos?

I’ll refer back to the need to use the same profile in our manager search as we used to recruit Bruce.

I'd gamble on these over Monk to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Think you're wrong. The Cowley's despite their age and experience, are club builders. Bruce hadn't finished rebuilding us. We're still carrying ageing players, that are unreliable and inconsistent. Even at their peak, they weren't good enough to get us promoted.

Short term thinking is what fizzed us up in the first place. We were getting back on track with Bruce but that doesn't mean we have to appoint a experienced has been or journeyman to carry on his work, rather it should point to going a similar route as what Villa took after replacing Bruce with Dean Smith. A man who worked his way up the Lower Leagues and established himself at small clubs, doing things the right way and building those clubs up from top to bottom. He progressed and carried on from Bruce's ground work. I'd say we should target someone similar who can improve our infrastructure; rebuild us, build an ethos and give us some belief back.

I'd go for someone similar to Dean Smith or on the rise; such as the likes of Alex Neil; Paul Cook, Lee Johnson, The Cowley's, Michael Flynn, Paul Tisdale or Gareth Ainsworth, for example. Managers on the rise rather than on the decline, out of work or has beens. Because we need to start thinking long term and being smarter or else we'll most probably be in a similar frustrating situation in a year's time.