Cowleys Poll!

Cowleys . You decide!  

925 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question. Do you want the Cowleys ?

• YES -
    • NO -

9 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

You mean a fibber dib dibber?

Well, I would if he gave us half the optimism Kebab lad brought.

Or even 50% the fun times Ron brought.

That's football isn't it. 

Everyone tells porkies.

There was no negativity about Wednesday link he did not say not happening. He was definitely uneasy and I felt a prepared answer. To comment further would have created more questions and he clearly did not want that. Think you are right something in wind.

I'll be honest, I know nothing about the Cowley's, and for that reason I couldn't see how I could vote

I wanted a big name manager with the wow factor, but there's none out there

If the Cowley's get the gig, I'll support them, no disrespect to Bullen, but he's not a manager, and this job is too big to give it to someone who hasn't managed before.

My fear with the Cowley's, players can make or break a manager, they've got to buy into the plan

You could see with Bruce, the players respected him, he had Championship promotions on his CV, and also, he was a top player, the Cowley's have neither

I know someone will tell me that Mourinhio wasn't a top player, I get that, but he was special

Are the Cowley's special, we might get to find out

The trouble with our club, our supporters always need to have a scapegoat, they could soon turn on the Cowley's if results don't have a dramatic improvement

This is where all supports have to give them time, it may take a couple of years for the Cowley's to get the players in that they need, we may see a big turnover of players

The signs are already looking good.

Cowley's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Am I allowed to say I'm undecided?

I honestly don't know a great deal about Cowley other than the headline figures of his rise up the leagues, and have only seen Lincoln play a couple of times on TV, to be honest. I don't know a great deal about his tactical approach, style of play etc. beyond the snippets I've seen in recent years.

Whether he has what it takes to step up to this level and a club of this size, I have no idea. But if Chansiri has met with him and is convinced by what he's shown him, then he'll have my backing.

At the very least, he'd represent a forward-thinking and potentially exciting choice.

18 minutes ago, Spookone said:

The issue most fans seem to be ignoring us that we don’t have time.

Potentially big financial problems if we are still in this league next season.

I'd have thought the stadium sale would have lessened this. £20.7 million loss in 2017, £2.6 million profit in 2018. For 2019, we'd have to make a loss in excess of £20.9 million to breach FFP.

I could be wrong..

34 minutes ago, Spookone said:

The issue most fans seem to be ignoring us that we don’t have time.

Potentially big financial problems if we are still in this league next season.

Totally disagree. Short term thinking is what tripped us up in the first place. This squad wasn't good enough to go up a few years ago, yet we still rely on mostly the same key aging unreliable and inconsistent players. We need to start thinking long term. The squad needs rebuilding further.

A fresh approach and a forward thinking appointment is exactly what we need. Bruce had us on the right track, we now need to progress that work further and start doing things smarter and more progressively. Appointing a manager on the rise is the smart thing to do in our situation after losing Bruce, in a similar way to Villa replacing Bruce with Smith. If we get the Cowley's and give them time and the backing to rebuild us and to develop their ethos, we could be onto a winner in the long run. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

19 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

I'd have thought the stadium sale would have lessened this. £20.7 million loss in 2017, £2.6 million profit in 2018. For 2019, we'd have to make a loss in excess of £20.9 million to breach FFP.

I could be wrong..

That's Rhodes wage almost covered then

11 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

Yes and give full backing.

Any to$$er in that dressing room thats takes the pi$$ gets sold to the next league one club that will have them.

Let them build for the future

We are crying out for a ruthless approach that doesn’t accept running a lot as success! You either perform or you’re dropped. Same in the dressing room. Any disruption and you’re out!

We've gone with the left field foreign appointment twice, yes it nearly worked but it ended in disaster (as much as I loved that 1st season under carlos, I can't forgive all the errors made after that so his reign always leave a bitter taste). 

Jos was an absolute disaster.

Then we went for experience with Bruce and at the time was the right appointment at the time, however I can't have been the only one getting worried in the summer when Bruce says he needed to sell players but sold nobody... he's then left at the first opportunity.

I truly think Cowley is the right man.

- We need a long term project, players that have been here a while need to move on, we can't be sentimental. if any of our players (realistic) value is matched we need to sell, works for Leeds! Cowley is 40 years old and has been biding his time for a while for the right Championship job.

- Lincoln on a much smaller scale were in a similar position to us when they took over there. After relegation from Lg2 they finished 17th, 16th, 14th, 15th & 13th. Cowley's come in during the summer and finished 1st, reached FA Cup QTR final, first season in Lg2 they finished in the play-offs, won the EFL trophy, season after clear league winner, they're currently 2nd in league 1. They also went from a few thousand fans to over 10K season ticket holders. Not forgetting 3 promotions with Concord Rangers, finishing 3rd with Braintree in the National league who were semi-pro in a mostly professional league... they're pretty impressive managerial stats for a 40 year old.

- He's able to change his style of play, they were very ugly to watch in National League/League 2, but this season they made signings to suit a more attractive style of play. He's not just a long throw, set piece manager at all. He's proven he is tactically very good.

- You have to start somewhere. Dare I say it but this could be our version of Wilder? Who had never managed above League 2 when he took over pigs in league 1..... I'll say no more on that..

- Bullen was given a go, it hasn't worked, I don't think he's cut out for it, what other options do we have? Hughton was perfect fit for straight replacement from fatty but he didn't want it, Rowett would have been okay.. the rest of names linked are seriously underwhelming. Cowley is the best pick on that list for me and ticks all the boxes for me.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

There was no negativity about Wednesday link he did not say not happening. He was definitely uneasy and I felt a prepared answer. To comment further would have created more questions and he clearly did not want that. Think you are right something in wind.

He just wanted to it down so nothing could be read. Unlike the Huddersfield answer where he said it was definitely a non-runner.

I'm not saying he's coming, but he'll be prepared to listen to what Chansiri has to say. I'd stake on that at least. 

Or at least I would if i hadn't lumped the entire inheritance on Rowett...

57 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'll be honest, I know nothing about the Cowley's, and for that reason I couldn't see how I could vote

Not knowing anything about the subject doesn't stop people folks and chatting on here Hoots!

Comparing Huddersfield and us, we could be a challenge that they want to take at this point of their career. They are young and hungry only for so long, so if you want to show what you got, you have to take some chances. It is true that Lincoln cannot grow much bigger and we have a rebuilding process only at the first phase where we replaced part of the dead wood. There's still lots to do, and if DC wants them in, I'm sure they will negotiate things their way because they have the upper hand, not us.

Don’t know anything about the Cowleys...except they were Austin/Morris things made near Oxford I think. 

Oh...they manage/coach at Lincoln...can they be any worse than the long list of tripe-hounds listed already in a different thread.

Get em in....pay em thousands...oh, actually they’re poo ...sack em! Isn’t that the Wednesday Way.

Which would be a great renaming job for Penistone Road or Herries Road...”The Wednesday Way”!

There are a lot of billy big balls and mardy  arses in our dressing room and I think we need an experienced gaffer in charge to sort the overpaid spoiled brats out. Bullen not the answer in the long term...but the slow business of appointing someone is just 

bad management. In limbo again.

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I wanted a big name manager with the wow factor, but there's none out there

If the Cowley's get the gig, I'll support them, no disrespect to Bullen, but he's not a manager, and this job is too big to give it to someone who hasn't managed before.

My fear with the Cowley's, players can make or break a manager, they've got to buy into the plan

You could see with Bruce, the players respected him, he had Championship promotions on his CV, and also, he was a top player, the Cowley's have neither

I know someone will tell me that Mourinhio wasn't a top player, I get that, but he was special

Are the Cowley's special, we might get to find out

The trouble with our club, our supporters always need to have a scapegoat, they could soon turn on the Cowley's if results don't have a dramatic improvement

This is where all supports have to give them time, it may take a couple of years for the Cowley's to get the players in that they need, we may see a big turnover of players

The signs are already looking good.

Cowley's

Pretty much sums up how im feeling about the situation. The more i hear about these boys the more impressed im becoming. One things for sure if this is the road we take we have got to give them time to implement their style /get their own players in.

1 hour ago, Castleford Owl said:

I could be wrong..

Unlikely to lose that much with the deadwood we've got rid of, the fee for Joao and the cabbage head compo.

31 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Don’t know anything about the Cowleys...except they were Austin/Morris things made near Oxford I think. 

Oh...they manage/coach at Lincoln...can they be any worse than the long list of tripe-hounds listed already in a different thread.

Get em in....pay em thousands...oh, actually they’re poo ...sack em! Isn’t that the Wednesday Way.

Which would be a great renaming job for Penistone Road or Herries Road...”The Wednesday Way”!

There are a lot of billy big balls and mardy  arses in our dressing room and I think we need an experienced gaffer in charge to sort the overpaid spoiled brats out. Bullen not the answer in the long term...but the slow business of appointing someone is just 

bad management. In limbo again.

They need to realise they aren't Billy big balls, put them on the market and see if there's a big queue of teams wanting to pay big bucks for them. Bannan may be worth a few quid. Hutch would struggle with his injury record, FF, yesterdays man, Westwood, doubt he'd pick up the wages we are paying him. Fletcher, getting on a bit now. They might have been someone 3 or 4 years ago but that's history.

None are irreplaceable. They just need to realise they have proved they are middle of the table Championship players. A good manager will let them know that without rubbing their noses in it. 

I have voted No, but IF they are given the job i hope they prove me wrong and they will get my support.

The pros - young , up and coming with a great track record so far and no doubt itching to prove they belong at this level.

Cons - Never managed 30 bags of sand a week players with ego,s to match and never had the weight of expectation that would come with this job.

Also , and my main reason for saying no , is that i have seen their Lincoln side about half a dozen times on TV and whilst their work ethic is admirable, the style of play is pretty direct and one dimensional.

Maybe i need to see more and i am being a little harsh but i think it would be a huge gamble, and i dont see why we have changed approach so quickly from 7 months ago when we were all convinced that an experienced championship manager was the way forward.

• Like 1

Get them in. Give them the proper backing to build from the bottom up. We’re not the club we were in the 90s - far from it. The Cowley’s could start something special at Wednesday and would not just be seen as a quick fix like so many other managers are. They don’t have to spend big so just believe in what they do and I think we’d be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1