Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I liked CC talked my language but in the end wasn't my kettle of drums

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

He burnt a core group out trying to get us up.. that's not a reign.. it's self interested short termism.imo

I think most managers these days can only ever look at the ‘short term’.

 

The days of Ferguson are long gone now.

 

I think the demands are so intense, it is impossible to maintain a certain level for longer than a few years at best. The initial impetus goes, players get bored with the same message.

 

Mourinho couldn’t sustain it, Klopp has said he’ll likely take a break soon.

 

Carlos did nothing different. Things happened quicker than expected, he grabbed it with both hands but it didn’t quite come off. Because it was so unexpected we didn’t have the squad strength compared to Hull’s and the second year was a watered down version of the first.

 

After that, his message had got stale & the inevitable happened.

 

No doubt there are exceptions, but most managers these days are short term.

 

I still maintain that history will remember Carlos’s tenure (if you don’t like reign) in a more favourable light than the bulk of our bi polar fan base.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 02:23, RevOwl said:

If only we had stuck with Carlos. We'd have been up now or certainly would be by the end of this season. A 42.75% win rate and a few bad results and he's gone. He loved the club and still does and gave us the biggest success we've had for years. Now we're a very average side without a permanent manager with falling gate numbers and fans that have lost heart. Thanks for your time Carlos and sorry from all of us that wanted success in the same way as you did. 

clickbait.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I think most managers these days can only ever look at the ‘short term’.

 

The days of Ferguson are long gone now.

 

I think the demands are so intense, it is impossible to maintain a certain level for longer than a few years at best. The initial impetus goes, players get bored with the same message.

 

Mourinho couldn’t sustain it, Klopp has said he’ll likely take a break soon.

 

Carlos did nothing different. Things happened quicker than expected, he grabbed it with both hands but it didn’t quite come off. Because it was so unexpected we didn’t have the squad strength compared to Hull’s and the second year was a watered down version of the first.

 

After that, his message had got stale & the inevitable happened.

 

No doubt there are exceptions, but most managers these days are short term.

 

I still maintain that history will remember Carlos’s tenure (if you don’t like reign) in a more favourable light than the bulk of our bi polar fan base.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not used to this level of debate.. just neg me next time eh?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2-4 loss at home to the blunts was the final straw for many fans, and I suspect players. Had we won/drawn that game it could have easily turned out differently. A season or two consolidating before trying again. Instead, he hung on for dear life until almost everyone wanted him gone. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

I'm not used to this level of debate.. just neg me next time eh?

Since I came back I've tried to make a point of never negging anyone, especially someone as esteemed as your good self.

 

I try and use the old adage 'The pen is mightier than the neg' & use the power of reasoned debate.

 

(Till i've had a drink & it all goes to sh*t),:laugh:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigthinrob said:

Since I came back I've tried to make a point of never negging anyone, especially someone as esteemed as your good self.

 

I try and use the old adage 'The pen is mightier than the neg' & use the power of reasoned debate.

 

(Till i've had a drink & it all goes to sh*t),:laugh:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:tango:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 07:18, WelshOwl74 said:

He did he came to Swansea ,started well then did his usual trick and bottled it at the final leg 

 

When it was almost impossible to go down 3 weeks before the season finished . That Carlos , what a card ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

I think most managers these days can only ever look at the ‘short term’.

 

The days of Ferguson are long gone now.

 

I think the demands are so intense, it is impossible to maintain a certain level for longer than a few years at best. The initial impetus goes, players get bored with the same message.

 

Mourinho couldn’t sustain it, Klopp has said he’ll likely take a break soon.

 

Carlos did nothing different. Things happened quicker than expected, he grabbed it with both hands but it didn’t quite come off. Because it was so unexpected we didn’t have the squad strength compared to Hull’s and the second year was a watered down version of the first.

 

After that, his message had got stale & the inevitable happened.

 

No doubt there are exceptions, but most managers these days are short term.

 

I still maintain that history will remember Carlos’s tenure (if you don’t like reign) in a more favourable light than the bulk of our bi polar fan base.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Great post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 02:23, RevOwl said:

If only we had stuck with Carlos. We'd have been up now or certainly would be by the end of this season. A 42.75% win rate and a few bad results and he's gone. He loved the club and still does and gave us the biggest success we've had for years. Now we're a very average side without a permanent manager with falling gate numbers and fans that have lost heart. Thanks for your time Carlos and sorry from all of us that wanted success in the same way as you did. 

Reel 'em in son!

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

I think most managers these days can only ever look at the ‘short term’.

 

The days of Ferguson are long gone now.

 

I think the demands are so intense, it is impossible to maintain a certain level for longer than a few years at best. The initial impetus goes, players get bored with the same message.

 

Mourinho couldn’t sustain it, Klopp has said he’ll likely take a break soon.

 

Carlos did nothing different. Things happened quicker than expected, he grabbed it with both hands but it didn’t quite come off. Because it was so unexpected we didn’t have the squad strength compared to Hull’s and the second year was a watered down version of the first.

 

After that, his message had got stale & the inevitable happened.

 

No doubt there are exceptions, but most managers these days are short term.

 

I still maintain that history will remember Carlos’s tenure (if you don’t like reign) in a more favourable light than the bulk of our bi polar fan base.

 

 

 

 

I think you are right. The issue was not building on that first season success with the right players. Who knows whether he was to blame. That first season was the most enjoyable for a around quarter of a century.  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2019 at 02:23, RevOwl said:

If only we had stuck with Carlos. We'd have been up now or certainly would be by the end of this season. A 42.75% win rate and a few bad results and he's gone. He loved the club and still does and gave us the biggest success we've had for years. Now we're a very average side without a permanent manager with falling gate numbers and fans that have lost heart. Thanks for your time Carlos and sorry from all of us that wanted success in the same way as you did. 

How can you possibly know that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carlos had to go but those two seasons under his management were the best we've had in 20 years at this level. He brought the fanbase together and put us back on the map. In a way he was a victim of his own success. Getting us to the playoffs two years running was no mean feat but in the end what cost him was he didn't use our attack to it's full potential. He was far too defensive. Had we attacked Huddersfield at home in the playoffs we would have got promoted. It still frustrates me today as we will never have a better chance. Huddersfield and then Reading in the final were there for the taking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Carlos had to go but those two seasons under his management were the best we've had in 20 years at this level. He brought the fanbase together and put us back on the map. In a way he was a victim of his own success. Getting us to the playoffs two years running was no mean feat but in the end what cost him was he didn't use our attack to it's full potential. He was far too defensive. Had we attacked Huddersfield at home in the playoffs we would have got promoted. It still frustrates me today as we will never have a better chance. Huddersfield and then Reading in the final were there for the taking

long gone bud...like our chances of the prem..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...