Why it should be Pulis

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Owls fans - or a section of them - never seem to want a manager who'll get us up.

Not unless he can do it playing scintillating football along the way.

Warnock? "Wi don't want 'im!"

Bruce? "Over t' 'ill, mate!"

Pulis? "F*ck off!"

Such managers are deemed "dinosaurs", over the hump, or not "progressive" enough.

Be it manager or player, the emphasis always must be on youth.

Experience can go hang; we'd rather have someone who's learning his trade, someone who'll use us to practise on.

Then, mysteriously, Colin got Cardiff up.

Bruce, another dinosaur according to some, got a team looking over its shoulder to within an ace of the playoffs.

Ours in fact.

We need to be going for promotion, and how we do it doesn't matter.

Our finances dictate that.

Where we are, Pulis represents the best chance we're likely to have.

Without a doubt, THE most stupid post of the season to date.

Well done.

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

My old boss was a West From fan, he'd been a season ticket holder for 35 years, in the last season under Pulis he didn't renew he's ticket as he was fed up of the utter bilge he served up.  I've spoken to him since and he says he much prefers it in the Championship, playing decent football week in week out.  The Premier League isn't the promised land that Sky will have you believe.  

Maybe not, but a season would sort a lot or the financial issue out and provide a base for us to move forwards- better players, stadium renovations etc..

Even if if we went back down we’d be in a better position to go back up again.

..at present we are heading precisely nowhere. 

Here's why he shouldn't,

-Failed with Middlesbrough who had a better squad than us.

-On the decline as a manager

-Lacks a Plan B when Plan A (which is whack it up to a big lad btw) doesn't work

-He's already f*cked one of our best players off once (Bannan).

-His best achievement was over 10 years ago.

Is he the worst name I've heard considered, no. Should we appoint him, not for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steelman said:

I’m so sorry.

Please find it in your heart to forgive me. :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Your apologies are accepted. :biggrin:

Ah cool dudes, ye've broughtOwlstalk back to the lazy, hazy crazy days of the stoned'n'sexy sixties. Peace'n'lourve guys, FFS lol 

Can anyone join in ??

1 hour ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Here's why he shouldn't,

-Failed with Middlesbrough who had a better squad than us.

-On the decline as a manager

-Lacks a Plan B when Plan A (which is whack it up to a big lad btw) doesn't work

-He's already f*cked one of our best players off once (Bannan).

-His best achievement was over 10 years ago.

Is he the worst name I've heard considered, no. Should we appoint him, not for me.

He had a decent budget at Boro too.

Thanks for the replies.

Good comments for and against, as ever.

Pulis isn't my first choice, that would be Hughton.

But he'll not come, and even if he did our hearts would be in our mouths every time a PL manager got his marching orders.

My second choice would probably be Rowett, but there's no evidence at all to suggest that Chansiri wants him.

The Cowleys are too much of a gamble for me; people look across the road to see what's happened there but Wilder joined the Blades in the Third, and he'd already been a manager for many years, albeit in the lower leagues.

Other promising lower division managers have come to the Championship in recent times and it hasn't been much of a success story.

Some suggest van Bronckhorst ...

We're more likely to see Colin walk on the moon than witness his arrival.

Then there's Pulis.

He's another Megson.

Do I like his brand of football? No, but there again I didn't like Megson's and in any case it's not all about that.

When Meggo arrived here he looked at the sports cars in the car park and then observed how their owners were faring on the pitch.

He didn't like what he saw, so he cleared out the slackers and built a cohesive team of spirited, committed players.

Would he have got us over the line? That's a dangerous question to pose on this forum as nothing divides opinion more than that topic, but irrespective it was his team which went up, albeit under a different manager playing a different brand of football.

I see Pulis as the man to do what Megson did.

This team has too many players who wave the white flag in times of adversity, and such a team is unlikely ever to get promoted.

Would Pulis get us over the line? Goodness knows, but if he didn't he might just pave the way for someone else to.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PEARSON said:

The managers that seem to be doing the best over the last couple of seasons are those that champion organisation, fitness and pressing. 

Bingo! Hunt in packs with or without the ball, close teams down to force mistakes and never sit deep hoping for a draw. I still have nightmares about the pigs not sitting back and holding on for a 2-2 draw but instead stepping up a gear and attacking us more. 

If you're attacking and have the ball, opponents have to get back and think about you and they don't score many sitting in their own half.

We did close down Barnsley and it worked pretty well, but since then we've reverted to type, sitting deep and watching teams pass through balls with total freedom all around us in our half.

It's either lazy, poor tactics or a lack of commitment/complacency because fit players should be able to run for 90 minutes.

Edited by Daz

13 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Owls fans - or a section of them - never seem to want a manager who'll get us up.

Not unless he can do it playing scintillating football along the way.

Warnock? "Wi don't want 'im!"

Bruce? "Over t' 'ill, mate!"

Pulis? "F*ck off!"

Such managers are deemed "dinosaurs", over the hump, or not "progressive" enough.

Be it manager or player, the emphasis always must be on youth.

Experience can go hang; we'd rather have someone who's learning his trade, someone who'll use us to practise on.

Then, mysteriously, Colin got Cardiff up.

Bruce, another dinosaur according to some, got a team looking over its shoulder to within an ace of the playoffs.

Ours in fact.

We need to be going for promotion, and how we do it doesn't matter.

Our finances dictate that.

Where we are, Pulis represents the best chance we're likely to have.

You haven't convinced me. In fact you haven't even made a case for Pulis.

10 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Cowley is the new Pulis,just younger and highly likely a lot cheaper wages wise,hes hes yet to fail in the promotion stakes,hed be a MASSIVE gamble,but.......Id sooner him than Pulis to be honest

We aint going to lure the Cowley brothers away from Lincoln.

I very much doubt they will leave the team they have brought up all the way from the dungeons of English football to within touching distance of the Championship, to join a mid table, mediocre Championship team.

Right now we need to accept nitty, gritty football. We don't have the squad to play pretty, possession based attacking football. 

Not saying I want Pulis, to be honest I have no idea who I want - Not one manager that's available is really catching my eye like Bruce did. 

I really hoped Bullen would prove us all rong but he's been dealt with a shitty hand. 

No coaching staff, no word from DC on his appointment, and the fans are already on his back I find it hard to come back from already. 

Bring someone in who is experienced with his own coaching staff and hope we can grind out some results to get us back in the play off hunt.

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Thanks for the replies.

Good comments for and against, as ever.

Pulis isn't my first choice, that would be Hughton.

But he'll not come, and even if he did our hearts would be in our mouths every time a PL manager got his marching orders.

My second choice would probably be Rowett, but there's no evidence at all to suggest that Chansiri wants him.

The Cowleys are too much of a gamble for me; people look across the road to see what's happened there but Wilder joined the Blades in the Third, and he'd already been a manager for many years, albeit in the lower leagues.

Other promising lower division managers have come to the Championship in recent times and it hasn't been much of a success story.

Some suggest van Bronckhorst ...

We're more likely to see Colin walk on the moon than witness his arrival.

Then there's Pulis.

He's another Megson.

Do I like his brand of football? No, but there again I didn't like Megson's and in any case it's not all about that.

When Meggo arrived here he looked at the sports cars in the car park and then observed how their owners were faring on the pitch.

He didn't like what he saw, so he cleared out the slackers and built a cohesive team of spirited, committed players.

Would he have got us over the line? That's a dangerous question to pose on this forum as nothing divides opinion more than that topic, but irrespective it was his team which went up, albeit under a different manager playing a different brand of football.

I see Pulis as the man to do what Megson did.

This team has too many players who wave the white flag in times of adversity, and such a team is unlikely ever to get promoted.

Would Pulis get us over the line? Goodness knows, but if he didn't he might just pave the way for someone else to.

Good post.  Gaz and Tone dream team. 

garymegson

While acknowledging Skyline wants a new manager he also commented on the followiing:

I really hoped Bullen would prove us all rong but he's been dealt with a shitty hand. 

No coaching staff, no word from DC on his appointment, and the fans are already on his back I find it hard to come back from already.

I have to say that Bullen's biggest problem is that he is not a Championship manager and has been dreadfully exposed in the recent performances by the team.

Bullen should come out and say "I am not ready for the SWFC Manager's job".