Are the players doing as they're told?

I wonder how big it was that Lees went off injured in the warm up.

Completely knackered our structure, lost the captain, Iorfa suddenly a CB, Bannan suddenly captain, complete mess.

And just how regularly does this happen to us? Seems almost ever other week that a player gets replaced prior to kick off - what the hell do we do in warm ups???

7 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Don’t think they would play for Danny Crowley either 

Think they would just "give him the bird"

When they really should be calling him a "silly old moo"...…..(you really need to be old to get it)

IT should be Cowley   not    Crowley

lol

10 minutes ago, JimmyMaC said:

Lets be reyt its needed an overhaul for time,two seasons weve just stoodstill its not good enough,if we were paying thirty bob a game to get in,fair enough,but top dollar for every little thing is a joke,we want value for money chansiri were not ****** muppets,and the average wage up heres a lot less than london.

This club is just turning in faulty towers by the week,wer a complete laughing stock.Foreign owners need to be kept out of english football

We've needed an over haul since 94-95 season to be fair.  When a club keeps going through managers and when excuses run out, start blaming the players and its been going on for decades, you sort of have to look at the organisation. 

Guest LondonOwl313

To my mind, we need to focus on our own strengths and playing our own way rather than setting up to nullify the opposition. All of the play off teams do that.. we even did that when we were up there under Carlos. It’s not like we’re playing Man City, it’s QPR

Secondly, we can’t be changing tactical systems to the extent that we do. Reason the second half was so bad is that we aren’t used to that system 

The right system for the players we have is a 4-4-2 / 4-3-3 depending on how things are going. It’s already clear we’re going to struggle for goals playing one up, we’d score more with two strikers. And we have Rhodes and Winnall who are designed for playing that goal poacher role at the club, yet we’ve rarely used them in the right way since signing them. 

So the basic system is 4 at the back, a holding midfielder, two wingers.. then vary between 2 strikers and 1 striker plus an extra man in midfield when required. That should be fairly straight forward to execute

Don’t buy all of this Bannan and Hutch can never play in a 2 business given they played that way last season on the unbeaten run. 

The worst thing we can do is experiment with the system mid game.. never noticed Bruce or Carlos doing this, and we won most of the time under them. When it happens it’s usually a sign we’re all over the place and don’t play well. Frustrating to watch 

Westwood is getting a bit of hammer which weren't really my intention, thst was just an example really of one area where obviously we were playing to the plan that had been set out.

Equally you look at up front.  He's stuck two up there hoping that a partnerships might help us get a bit more in and around the box.  

But strike pairing usually work as that don't they, pairings. 

For whatever reason a Fletcher and Forestieri always seemed to be about 30 yard apart. If Bullen had wanted that he'd have probably have stuck wi three up top.  You want a strike pairing playing in each others orbit at least.   Don't know why they dint but there's no way he's sent them out as a pairing and told me to play miles apart and defeat the entire point of a front pairing!

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

19 minutes ago, DEH9 said:

Westwood is getting a bit of hammer which weren't really my intention, thst was just an example really of one area where obviously we were playing to the plan that had been set out.

Equally you look at up front.  He's stuck two up there hoping that a partnerships might help us get a bit more in and around the box.  

But strike pairing usually work as that don't they, pairings. 

For whatever reason a Fletcher and Forestieri always seemed to be about 30 yard apart. If Bullen had wanted that he'd have probably have stuck wi three up top.  You want a strike pairing playing in each others orbit at least.   Don't know why they dint but there's no way he's sent them out as a pairing and told em to play miles apart and defeat the entire point of a front pairing!

*weren't - flipping predictive text!

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Yeah you're probably right and summed up the majority of fans feelings about the matter, its very frustrating but no obvious solution. DC unlikely to 'poach' and the choice of out of work and interested managers inspires no one. DC has been here 4 years and still seems willing to let the season float away without making any decisions, meanwhile our squad of underachieving 'could have beens' get older and less likely to ever perform another dream (Wembley) season. 

The thing that irritates me about all this, is that having followed Wednesday for 40 years, I somehow expect better and never get used to the crazy way that our club is ran/neglected and some of the rotten luck we seem to endure over the years.

UTO

WTD (it's a long painful death)

It is the easiest thing in the world to have a plan.  Lots then happens on the pitch when said plan goes up in smoke.  Usually its because of a small matter of something called the opponents.  it might be their winger has got up on the right side of bed and is zipping your full back.  So your plan to keep your winger with paint on his boots goes up in smoke - its usually players who sort that stuff out on the pitch, not the boss.  if you see your full back getting toasted you drop back and help.  Equally if they are winning everything in the air - and it might be because 10 mins in Fletch  gets a stiff back - you need to adjust on the pitch.

It simply is not as easy as made out if you dont have a massive advantage ability wise v opponents.  

2 hours ago, Minton said:

Personally, I think they are doing what they're being told.

And that is the problem, particularly when we are attacking.

Said it in other threads, but do you believe that four managers have instructed our two midfielders to help out the centre halves and make no attempt to link up with the forward play. That is apart from the twice a game when they chase the ball 50 yards to put the keeper under no pressure whatsoever but still getting a round of applause for chasing a lost cause. 

9 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Said it in other threads, but do you believe that four managers have instructed our two midfielders to help out the centre halves and make no attempt to link up with the forward play. That is apart from the twice a game when they chase the ball 50 yards to put the keeper under no pressure whatsoever but still getting a round of applause for chasing a lost cause. 

I saw that under Jos and see it in Bullen, but our attacking play under Carlos (for the first 1.5 seasons anyway) and The Turnip was a LOT better than you're describing there. 

They are professional footballers, so yes they will be doing as they are told. That's not to say they won't challenge or query a decision - that happens in all jobs and football is no different - but doing as they are told, yes.

However, I think there is a huge air of uncertainty - at least from the outside looking in - and if that is the case then this will no doubt be affecting them. When and how is not really known, but it could be spilling over in to match days.

I am at the point with this squad where I wouldn’t be upset if anybody left.

We’ve got good players I’d rather keep, but upset? Or even particularly bothered? I dunno. So many have question marks above their heads be it ability, motivation, suitability etc. One of the only players in this squad I’d actively go to bat for to defend is Liam Palmer which says a fair bit.

Imagine still having any sort of attachment or personal investment in Forrestieri at this point. People do and it blows my mind. 

On 02/09/2019 at 18:25, Rev Owl said:

Listening to the Radio Sheffield post match interview on Saturday it was very clear that Bullen felt the players hadn't followed the plan neither had they given 100% effort.

It was clear watching Bullen's reaction during the game that they weren't listening much to him during the game either.

KW chief culprit among them in not releasing ball quickly.

Also a fair amount of disagreement or confusion between defenders and midfield over moving the ball forward.

I saw it too, Bullen throwing his arms up in the air time and time again after shouting instructions. The players weren't even looking at the bench when he was shouting instructions. 

And as for Westwood, I'd have brought him off at half time if I had a say. Westwood clearly has his own agenda, and the team should come first. Just like our central midfield have their own agenda. 

It's time for them to fall in line or ship out whether that be under Bullen or the Cowley's or Somone else they have to start pulling in the same direction.