Steward altercations/arguments

the Chelsea cup tie last season at half time when the stewards wouldn't let supporters back to seats without showing tickets which was impossible for a lady as her hubby had tickets who was still sat down in turn that caused a mini riot ,again they went all like that and another steward was embarrassed by it all just some jobsworth trying to be big . hope the idiot got sacked he grabbed hold of her as she tried to go through if her hubby was there he could have got decked. 

In answer, YES, the stewards, one male, one female, plus a besuited gentleman in the Foyer, as it happens. 

However, constant attendances have helped me to make friends with one Steward and one fire steward, and most of the SWFC stewards I have come across have been very fair and friendly.

On 01/09/2019 at 17:53, ANDY said:

I tried to get to the Tap via Lep lane end at 12;50, only to be met by a line of these show-sec mercenaries.

They said i needed to walk round and over the bridge, The turn styles weren't open, the few coach loads of QPR were prob still stuck in the M1 traffic between 32/33

wtf did they think i was gonna do ? hide behind the programme stand and lay in wait ?

They told me we were in 'Matchday Mode' and had been for a couple of hours

Matchday mode sounds more like a spec ops for the SAS.

Can they actually legally stop you walking that way? Think Id just keep walking, at that kind of time anyway (its a pint missed)

Edited by unkastav

13 hours ago, dumboldowl said:

On Saturday I attempted to leave the ground early (4.45) to try and beat the crush out of the North Stand. Despite us being informed that Penistone Road would be completely closed from 4.30, it was still open, but the most stupidly annoying thing was the fact that the new yellow coated shock troops (masquerading as stewards) wouldn't open the gates to let us out, and instead were shuffling us through a side gate into the parking area adjacent to the club shop. Exactly what the point of this latest intrusion into our lives was meant to achieve I'm not sure, but it was certainly causing further unnecessary delay to the process, and angry comments from the crowd behind.

Visiting Hillsborough on match days is becoming a less enjoyable experience with every game that passes.  Not just because of the performances on the field.

New ffp strategy... Exit through the gift shop ;)

• Haha 2

On 01/09/2019 at 17:53, ANDY said:

I tried to get to the Tap via Lep lane end at 12;50, only to be met by a line of these show-sec mercenaries.

They said i needed to walk round and over the bridge, The turn styles weren't open, the few coach loads of QPR were prob still stuck in the M1 traffic between 32/33

wtf did they think i was gonna do ? hide behind the programme stand and lay in wait ?

They told me we were in 'Matchday Mode' and had been for a couple of hours

Matchday mode sounds more like a spec ops for the SAS.

least someone was in match day mode on saturday

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

the Chelsea cup tie last season at half time when the stewards wouldn't let supporters back to seats without showing tickets which was impossible for a lady as her hubby had tickets who was still sat down in turn that caused a mini riot ,again they went all like that and another steward was embarrassed by it all just some jobsworth trying to be big . hope the idiot got sacked he grabbed hold of her as she tried to go through if her hubby was there he could have got decked. 

Kid at work was telling me today that stewards at Chelsea on Saturday were a right set of gets, they were trying to drag United fans out at front celebrating equaliser at end. They weren't trying to get on pitch or owt but stewards had right face on and just picked random people out to try and drag out. 

There's a video of it knocking about. 

Going back some years but worst stewards I've seen was at White Hart Lane when we was in Premier League, they were dragging Wednesday fans out because they was stood up, when we was singing for us all to stand up they wanted to throw all lot of us out. 

Edited by bradowl

Positive story.

Last season (possibly the one before). Bottom of the south well before kick off I was with Little Miss Aussie. Had tickets for Grandstand but was nowhere near time to head in yet. She decided she needed the toilet.

Without hesitation after asking, we were let in via the exit doors. No arseiness. No "we really shouldn't, but...". Just kindness. Back out after washing hands. Based on the stories here, I'm sure it may not have always been that straight forward.

Steward at Brentford a couple of seasons ago was a Rastaman and a top lad. Welcoming all us Owls and hoping we had a nice day. Had a bit of banter with my lad who was 10 at the time. We got a last minute equaliser with Hutch that day. It was one of our best away days and the steward helped make it a good one. 

Thought the stewards at Reading last season were top notch a well. Made us feel like welcome guests. Very relaxed, friendly and happy to have a laugh. I think most are ok. It’s just like anything in life, the few give the rest a bad name.

s soon as you enter the gates at the South, or go onto front entrance tp Lepp. you are going onto what is private property. There is no legal right if way , and immediately you step onto what is officially SWFC property, you come under their jurisdiction, and they have a legal responsibility to ensure your safety. Because of this, and because of the provisions made by SAG/Council under the Licensing Act or whatever when they grant a safety Certificate must be obeyed.

There are copies of Regulations posted around the ground, but how many people have read these.? 

There are also large notices at the end of steps from concourse  which state that tickets MUST be shown on entry.

lLots of these regulations may seem petty, but unfortunately, the Laws regarding safety are made for the most ignorant to understand.

Having said that, I have found that, generally, the SWFC employed stewards, if approached in a proper manner, are generally very helpful,  but some will tend to throw their weight around. But then, so do m,any fans, so the fault is often of our own making. And don't forget, there has to be a cut off line somewhere. If you want to go to the Tap at 12.50, what is to stop someone asking to go at 1.25? And, silly though I believe the 'No entrance at Lepp for home supporters' to be what is the extra distance involved? Very little, I think.

Don't forget that the closing of the Lepp to home supporters is not a decision of SWFC, but something which has been imposed on them.