Steward altercations/arguments

Reading about the exploits of our friend Tango at the game yesterday got me thinking of dealings with stewards at games over the years...good and bad

do you have a positive story to tell?

have you been a steward and fan yourself(see it from both sides)

Can’t all be jobsworth types surely?

Female Steward at Edgely park..The year Turner said 

"We lost because Stockport had played there before and knew which way the ball was going to bounce"

Was stopped at the turnstile by a male steward who wouldn't let me take a camera in , without removing the batteries 

I said 

"but the Camera won't work without the batteries"

He said 

"But you might be taking the batteries in to throw them"

I said 

"Then why in f.ooks name would I bring a camera in as well"

Female Steward wanders over ...I'm stood with a 5 yr old kid...

She says to the other Steward...

"Give over"

Says to me 

"In you go"

See...Not all jobsworths

• Thanks 1

"Big Steve" at the bottom of the Kop main ramp/stairs (Penistone Road side) is a top bloke. Very friendly although we've "known" him for a few years now. Know as in from the matches. He's a gentle giant but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him, although I've never seen him get angry at all.

Whereas at Rotherham on Wednesday I got chatting to a steward at half-time, who said to me about a fan he once ejected "and I don't think they realise 'I can ban you forever I wanted to'". No you can't mate. You can report him, and he could get banned, but you yourself can't ban him. But that was his thinking and to be honest, I just thought "power trip". He was okay with me, we were just chatting, but his attitude stank.

Carlisle in the cup a few years ago. We were chatting to a couple of stewards, again at half time, on our side, and a couple of Carlisle fans through a big metal barrier at the same time. Had a good laugh with them all.

Peterborough in the promotion season back up to the Championship (I think it was the promotion season). Anyone remember that? That was a clusterfuck of the highest order and anyone and everyone in a high-vis vest/jacket was getting it from me on that day. And due to the problems, they were giving it back, which really wasn't helping. I nearly didn't get in but then it was kicking off all over the place.

To be honest, either by luck or better judgement, I've never really had any problems with them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

"Big Steve" at the bottom of the Kop main ramp/stairs (Penistone Road side) is a top bloke. Very friendly although we've "known" him for a few years now. Know as in from the matches. He's a gentle giant but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him, although I've never seen him get angry at all.

Whereas at Rotherham on Wednesday I got chatting to a steward at half-time, who said to me about a fan he once ejected "and I don't think they realise 'I can ban you forever I wanted to'". No you can't mate. You can report him, and he could get banned, but you yourself can't ban him. But that was his thinking and to be honest, I just thought "power trip". He was okay with me, we were just chatting, but his attitude stank.

Carlisle in the cup a few years ago. We were chatting to a couple of stewards, again at half time, on our side, and a couple of Carlisle fans through a big metal barrier at the same time. Had a good laugh with them all.

Peterborough in the promotion season back up to the Championship (I think it was the promotion season). Anyone remember that? That was a clusterfuck of the highest order and anyone and everyone in a high-vis vest/jacket was getting it from me on that day. And due to the problems, they were giving it back, which really wasn't helping. I nearly didn't get in but then it was kicking off all over the place.

To be honest, either by luck or better judgement, I've never really had any problems with them.

Clusterfuck!! Ha!!

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

A female steward searched me for dangerous food items in 1989 on the kop, and was overly familiar in the groin area of my pin stripe jeans.

True story.

Pin stripe Jean's.  Ah the memories just a short time after the Jean's were so tight there were no pockets on the front , she couldn't have searched them without arrest :biggrin:

• Haha 1

There was a steward in the Grandstand, miserable chuff at that too. 

We had just lost again at home, a night match. As fans were leaving, many stopped to check the results of other teams at the TVs on the concourse.

This jobsworth proceeded to climb up and switch off the TV, much to everyone's disgust. So much for match day experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

Woah, slow down a sec...

Other clubs allow home and away fans in the same time zone? 

MIND. BLOWN. 

• Haha 2