Extended 'highlights'...

1 hour ago, sternlad said:

I’m not sure I agree with the Palmer “decent position and body shape” idea. It may be because I’m an ageing 63year old full back but we were always schooled to see the man you’re marking/covering and the ball. In the still shot we’re looking at, Palmer seems to be looking at Hugill and the ball and his movement seems to be in field. Is he expecting the pass to be aimed at Hugill who is offside? Is he anticipating the ball down the flank (which is where it ends up)? In the end I’m not sure he knows WTF he’s doing. But as we have all McRightly said it’s a terrible shape for your defence to be in, they are all over the shop. 

I agree somewhat, but he can’t physically keep both in his field of vision. 

He’ll know where the winger is, and his body shape is good to allow him to assess the flight of the ball, whilst being able to shut down the angle of the wide player.

The problem is that he gets distracted by Hugil and then pretty much stops, which means he can’t then cover the ground quickly enough to get back in and cover.

All that being said, I think his positioning and body shape is more than adequate to allow him to fulfil his defensive duties