Westwood

11 hours ago, Northanstonowl said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Westwood doesn’t look fantastic this season so far. Their first goal his positioning was poor. 

I also think Iorfa should have done more to cut out the pass. No convinced he’s a good centre half. 

not Westwood bud it was schoolboy defending both goals the defenders were all over the place absolutely clueless

So, we are finally realising the amount of time WE waste!

I get the feeling that we have 10 outfielders  and a Goalkeeper. There appears to be several major factors here, not the least of which is that we, as a team, seem unwilling to turn from defence to attack quickly, and vice-versa.

I have seen many occasions during almost every match when either the GK is wanting to throw the ball quickly, but the player doesn't seem to be bothered, making his leisurely way upfield, and the opposite, when the GK seems unwilling to part with the ball until everyone has reached a set position. Sometimes wehave to play the ball quickly, other times move with the ball. How many times do we make the wrong option?

And YES. Westie does take an inordinately long time over his GKs.

The one thing which does annoy me is the time we waste at throw-ins. I've often commented that, were it me, I would be tempted to throw the ball to someone who's taken up a position- an opponent- since we don't seem to want it.

Yesterday's game looked like men vs boys. They conned us  and the Ref with their tumbles, and upset us They then started to play some beautiful, fast, one touch football, and made us look very pedestrian.

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Why does Westwood take so long with goal kicks? Does every game no matter what the scoreline but winds me up when we are losing and need to up the tempo.

It’s a sense of self-importance and attention seeking behaviour.

Save shots, organise the defence and justfucking get on with it when we’re behind!

• Thanks 1

It's all down to coaching and management.

Westwood isn't a risk taker, he wants the ball as far away from his box as possible. That is his only thought. He doesn't trust his backs to play the ball early to them. Borner is comfortable on the ball and happy to have it.

The problem the backs have is we don't have a midfield. Bannan is weak and not physical enough to boss it and he sits too deep. Hutch takes the ball off the feet of the backs then has nobody to pass to. Reach hides and isn't available unless he's right on the touchline and Palmer advances into this space (they get in each other's way). FF did nothing, he hasn't in that role for a while.

Bullen isn't a get it down and play coach. Bullen is a keep it out of danger coach. The two goals were basic errors but having said that, Hugill was way better than anyone else on that pitch yesterday.

This is a badly run mid-table side...QPR were a better side as were Preston and Millwall. We are a long way from being a good side again. The old stalwarts are done I think. If I were manager I'd be looking for a clear-out in January and some real Championship type talent bringing in.

I also think Neil would be a no nonsense manager. I doubt we will get anyone that good, anytime soon.

Edited by toooldforthis

He has set very high standards  in the past, but by those standards he has been average at best.

He was at  fault for the goal v Millwall, he had a shaky start v Luton and yesterday there was a situation in the 2nd half when Iorfa and Westwood got in a fix when Westwood should have taken control of the situation.

3 hours ago, A12owl said:

Didn't he only play CB due to Lees unexpected injury.

When he first arrived and scored a couple of goals he was the bargain buy of the century. How things can change.

He's still a good buy but maybe at full back rather than CB. He could grow into a decent CB. Palmer has been iffy until recently but now he's doing much better. He's 3 years older than Iorfa.

Maybe he still needs to wise up and learn.

He was dreadfully exposed for the two goals - one against one in the end due our mistakes, stagnant positioning and their clinical passing. He saved a one-on one earlier when he hurt his ankle/foot in the block.

His distribution and game holding up is increasingly becoming annoying - it's getting worst. I think he's instructed the 'worst ball-boys in the EFL' to time delay and amble around even more than they normally do adding to the charade.

11 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I don't buy this we can forgive players cus they saved us points before 

Thinking like that let's them drop their standards 

For the wages he demands he needs to do better

Exactly , our fans are bewildering . Dawson has played better this season and for me should start . If and when that changes they can swap again . 

Westwood’s kicking has always been dire but the rest of his game isn’t good this season so far . You pick the players best suited and for me that isn’t him right now 

5 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

i can't believe you're saying it either 

There were lots of players at fault for the 1st goal Fox for losing the ball upfield, Hutch for getting drawn to a ball he could never win Iorfa for being a cabbage but Westy had no chance great movement from Hugill

I'm still trying to work out who Fox was trying to pass the ball to when he had a simple pass available to Harris.

Guest LondonOwl313
27 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be honest players are performing completely different now compared to the levels they were hitting under Bruce. 

Hopefully a new manager will give some a kick up the arse. it’s needed. 

Agree.. could be for a number of reasons. I’d imagine that Bruce was more calm and Bullen more anxious given the need to impress, that probably feeds in to the players. 

There’s also the tactical side which is bound to be lacking when you’ve gone from the 3 Steve’s to Bullen.

People are quick to say the team is finished etc.. but most of them are 29-31, and should be in their prime as players. There’s no reason we can’t be competitive in every game as we were back half of last season.

28 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm still trying to work out who Fox was trying to pass the ball to when he had a simple pass available to Harris.

He wasn't he tried beating the man and lost it, but that being said that was the full extent of his involvement losing the ball deep in their half with 3/4 of the team behind him 

Hutch was much more culpable charging in and selling himself well short 

25 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

He wasn't he tried beating the man and lost it, but that being said that was the full extent of his involvement losing the ball deep in their half with 3/4 of the team behind him 

Yep, still should have plenty to do to score from that position but as you say Hutch gets beat with ease and Iorfa offers no cover for the run of the striker.  

34 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Just looked back at the extended highlights, https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/284735-extended-highlights/

Fox initially picks up the ball and moves forward with it but a heavy touch under no pressure moves him too close to the QPR player and he does then attempt a pass inside to a marked Bannan rather than an easy ball wide to a relatively available Harris. 

They still shouldn't get in as easily from where we lose the ball but it is poor play from Fox that turns an attacking position into an attack for the opposition. No need for Hutch to dive in and with Bannan beyond the ball the fact we are playing 2 in midfield leaves us outnumbered and open to being picked off, especially when Iorfa looked suspect all game at CB.