Time to raise the bar

Bruce demanded more intensity, more pressing, more energy and more aggression. To be fair he got it.

He also said we should be aiming to go up. We should. The squad is easily good enough as proved last season. The pigs went up with a decent squad but 100% focus and effort.

I’m fed up with being out of the top league now. High time we were back. The league this year is open.

The whole club needs to raise the bar as I feel that acceptance of being nearly men is setting back in.

I’m not sure Bullen has the gravitas and tactical guile to push the team to the max. He may be able to but I think considering the above we need to give ourselves a better chance than relying on LB surprising us.

We need to get a bit of a swagger and confidence about us. Look at Leeds for example.

Time to stop being nearly men and make it happen. Need the mindset we had in promotion seasons under Wilkinson & Atkinson.

It seems like we’ve gone back to the tactic of trying to stay in the game without expending too much energy, the. Going for it in the last 15 minutes. 

The thing is, we went for it for 90 mins in the first two games and it seemed like the fitness levels of the players was high enough to cope with it. Not sure why we’ve reverted back to the old habits.

2 minutes ago, Lord Nilsson said:

Bruce demanded more intensity, more pressing, more energy and more aggression. To be fair he got it.

He also said we should be aiming to go up. We should. The squad is easily good enough as proved last season. The pigs went up with a decent squad but 100% focus and effort.

I’m fed up with being out of the top league now. High time we were back. The league this year is open.

The whole club needs to raise the bar as I feel that acceptance of being nearly men is setting back in.

I’m not sure Bullen has the gravitas and tactical guile to push the team to the max. He may be able to but I think considering the above we need to give ourselves a better chance than relying on LB surprising us.

We need to get a bit of a swagger and confidence about us. Look at Leeds for example.

Time to stop being nearly men and make it happen. Need the mindset we had in promotion seasons under Wilkinson & Atkinson.

Correct.

We  need a manager who can give the players a belief, an arrogance, the confidence to know their tactics and game plan will deliver results if they put in the effort.

Bullen doesn't appear to be that man, I could be wrong but that's the impression I get. The performances don't show he is either.

Hopefully Chansiri is holding out for a manager with those man management credentials, a real leader. 

We will see.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trev said:

Correct.

We  need a manager who can give the players a belief, an arrogance, the confidence to know their tactics and game plan will deliver results if they put in the effort.

Bullen doesn't appear to be that man, I could be wrong but that's the impression I get. The performances don't show he is either.

Hopefully Chansiri is holding out for a manager with those man management credentials, a real leader. 

We will see.

garymegson

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Lord Nilsson said:

I'm with you all the way - to a point.

Reminds me of an old boss at a management meeting.

Boss - 'We need to put the effort in to be a world class organisation'.

Q -  'Are we going to have 'world class' facilities, 'world class' pay, 'world class' marketing etc...?

Boss - Well no.

Q - Just us then putting 'World class' levels of effort in then?

Silence.....

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, JackSWFC said:

It seems like we’ve gone back to the tactic of trying to stay in the game without expending too much energy, the. Going for it in the last 15 minutes. 

The thing is, we went for it for 90 mins in the first two games and it seemed like the fitness levels of the players was high enough to cope with it. Not sure why we’ve reverted back to the old habits.

I imagine with our squad being built for an immediate attempt on promotion nigh on 4 years ago, that one or two of them are past their 'prime'.

with that in mind giving a full press for 90+ twice a week is asking of them what they are no longer capable of doing, and tactically we're doing what ali did with foreman in zaire.

play to your strengths, not your opponents, we are presently a raiding side, not a dominating one.

7 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Q -  'Are we going to have 'world class' facilities, 'world class' pay, 'world class' marketing etc...?

Boss - Well no.

Silence.....

YUP! big talk is just a cheap as small talk.

I'd like to see us start the game with high press, high tempo to get our noses in front early in the game. Harrass the opposition , throw them out of their stride. If the older legs start flagging use our substitutions to bring on fresh legs. If we get a couple of goals in front we can switch to a quick counter attact style. We've got the speed to do it.

At present we seem to have reverted to the Carlos days of not getting going until the second half or even the last 15 minutes. We are chasing games rather than making the opposition chase the game.

Is it Bullens fault? I've no idea.

Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if we hadn't given away 2 soft penalties. It's just a generalised feeling we are starting to drift back into our old ways.

I'd be happier with a new manager rather than Bullen, he's doing ok but I want someone fully experienced who can do what Bruce started to do which was shake the club up from bottom to top. Bullen will never do that.

Starting every game on the front foot should really be a given though. 15 to 20 minutes of fast, attacking play, maybe nick a goal or two, then allows us to play on the counter, which I think we are perfectly able to do well.

In some respects  Mr Wilder at S2, called it absolutely right regarding players last week. The bare minimum they should be giving is chasing, harassing, battling each and every week. Praise for them doing what is the bare minimum is false praise.

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

Boss - Well no.

Silence.....

Wonder how many people can relate to that.

Me for one!!

:laugh:

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

Boss - Well no.

Silence.....

Chicken an egg innit. You can't afford that stuff till the world class effort earns the world class results.

You can tell the players have gone slightly backwards, not by much though. 

In the first 2 games straight from the kick off you could see everyone was on the same page with the press. Fletch would go then bannan then Harris and so on until we either forced it back to the keeper for a long kick or won the ball. This has tailed off massively in the last few games, either we don't bother or two players join in and that's it and the whole press breaks down and players are left out of position.

This was what made Leeds good last season, relentless pressure throughout the game and it worked. You don't always need quality players just well drilled organised one's then build from there.

2 hours ago, Lord Nilsson said:

Wilkinson and Atkinson were top class managers and winners. Honestly thought Bruce was in the same mould. Shame he was just a snake. But we won’t get what every wants until we get a top class manager again. 

Guest The Horse
3 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Boss - Well no.

Silence.....

During the 'evening with Big Ron' at Hillsborough not so long ago, Ron was talking about his second time with Dalian who was a frustrating talent.
Think Ron told him that with his talent, he should be Engalnd's best and take Alan Shearer's shirt.
Dalian's response was 'Pay me Shearer's wages and I'll be as good as him'.
Cue the laughter and Ron looking stumped!

I might have got that phrased slightly wrong but it's a chicken and egg thing as bigrbuk said above.
The world of football might just operate differently to your regualr job though.