Sheffield Wednesday v Everton cup memories

I’ve no particular memory of the League Cup from my early days but I’ll never ever forgive them for the ‘66 FA Cup final. I was so distraught that I’ve had a passionate dislike for them which is running to over 50 years and counting.

Thankfully Bobby Moore & co rescued my childhood love of the game a few weeks later!

Away at Everton,80s,when that dirty barsteward Reid snapped Marwoods leg.

Stayed over at a couple's flat  we had met on holiday in Benidorm,nice place called South Kirby.

Had plenty to drink in there fine boozers,got to there flat ,the lad fell asleep and the wonderful girl shared her scouse hospitality with some of the fellow Owls.

Classy

• Haha 1

I was living down south for the 5-0 drubbing and only watched it on the telly but it caused a r8 row.

I'd been out that night on a works do but I taped it.  Came in, watched the first half and my wife, who knew the final score, said "I'm so sorry".  Of course mardy old me went ballistic accusing her of spoiling the game for me because now I knew we weren't going to make a comeback in the second half.

We're divorced now. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Nowt good ever comes from us playing everton in the cup,least not in my living memory and that stretches back a fair distance,in fact theres not much joy from the league encounters either WTF:

I remember the 5-0 in the league at Hillsborough, I think Lineker got 2 maybe 3 and Neville Southall making a wonder save from a siggi jonsson free kick.

47 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

I remember the 5-0 in the league at Hillsborough, I think Lineker got 2 maybe 3 and Neville Southall making a wonder save from a siggi jonsson free kick.

It was 5-1.  I was on holiday in Spain (not my decision, as an adult I've never booked a holiday that means missing a home game!) and with no easy way to check scores back then other than a very expensive call home and not getting the English papers until the next day I think it was a Tuesday night game so we had to wait until Wednesday's papers to be out in Spain which would have been the Thursday.

I still remember eagerly going to the shop and grabbing a paper, going to the sports section, seeing the 1-5 score and refusing to believe it (Wednesday just never got battered at home in those days, I'd been going for 5 years and had never seen us concede more than 3 goals in a game other than the 5-4 Charlton win and even letting in 3 was a very rare occurence) so it must be a misprint so I checked all the other papers who confirmed it was actually right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wiltonowl said:

Away at Everton,80s,when that dirty barsteward Reid snapped Marwoods leg.

Stayed over at a couple's flat  we had met on holiday in Benidorm,nice place called South Kirby.

Had plenty to drink in there fine boozers,got to there flat ,the lad fell asleep and the wonderful girl shared her scouse hospitality with some of the fellow Owls.

Classy

WTF:

3 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

5-0 heart broken on kop,Was it Sharpe who showed us how a traditional centre forward played,kicked us all over....

The kop was half full by the restart,thousands streamed out at half time.I stayed,in the vain hope of some kind of fightback.......vanity is a sin,certainly was that night,luckily getting pi$$ed to blockout the memory isnt!

• Haha 1

Seem to remember before that 0-5 game  majority of  fans wanted to play with just 4 at the back instead of 5 ,with Chamberlain playing instead of being sub 

Well we got our wish as Madden was out injured, 0 - 5 at half time .........turned out Wilkinson  knew a bit more about football than us fans !!!

Went to Villa Park game as a young lad in the Austin maxi with mi dad...still remember the reg plate!...first cup away day and was proper gutted.

Found somones glasses outside ground and took them to the address inside the case at Oughtibridge the next day.....go on son knock on and give them him you might get somat...door opened took his gigs and not a thanks kiss mi arse or owt...must still have been gutted as well.

Hope we get some cup revenge next time out!

3 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Can't remember ever seeing us beat Everton in the cup.

However.....

Back in 1964-5 we were at Goodison and 2-1 up with a minute to go when they equalised.  Big Fred Pickering I think.  We lost the replay 3-0 in front of 50 thousand.

I've only seen us at Goodison 3 times that I recall.

64-5 as above.

60-1 league when we were 2-1 up at half time and lost 4-2.

96-7 roughly when we were two up in twenty minutes with Mark Bright scoring twice. Ended 2-2.

I've also seen us 2-0 up in the 1966 CF and lose.

And 0-5 at half time in that infamous fac match.

And 0-3 at Hillsborough in a league cup game about 12 years back.

Vaguely remember the two Norman Whiteside goals against us. Was that a cup game?

Was at goodison in 65 and my abiding memory is 17 year old andy burgin scoring an own goal on debut......if I remember right think roy McLaren played in the replay and didn't cover himself in glory and never played for us again.

Went to all 4 of the FA cup games in the 87-88 season

Remember after the first replay we tossed a coin to see where the next game would be. We lost and went back to Goodison a couple of weeks later

After that also was drawn 1-1 on the Monday, we were back at Hillsborough on the Wednesday!

Barely time to get home in between the games

4 hours ago, matt68owls said:

one of my first memories of the league cup was v Everton in 1977. As an 8 year old used to watching Wednesday struggle in the old 3rd division in front of 8,000-12,000 fans, to get first division Everton was a big deal. 

over 36,000 turned out to watch Everton beat us 3-1 with tommy tynan scoring the equaliser for Wednesday, Everton played a full side with the likes of Martin Dobson, Andy King, Mick 'the legend' Lyons, Bob Latchford, Bruce Rioch and Duncan Mckenzie.

I can't actually remember Wednesday beating Everton in the cup, the Cup final was before my time, but I remember the 3 1-1 draws in 1988 followed by the 5-0 half time drubbing in the 4th game and the 2-1 semi final defeat at villa park in 1986.

can anyone remember us beating them in the cup?

Remember that game as if yesterday. 

And by coincidence I bought this on Sunday. 

15670839811726453772300462001555.jpg

E

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

I remember a fact from when I was younger that no two teams had ever been drawn together more times in the FA Cup than Wednesday and Everton, think it was about 13 times. That may well have been superseded now though.

And rather strangely we’ve only been drawn against Liverpool once. I think that was about 100 years ago.

5 hours ago, matt68owls said:

one of my first memories of the league cup was v Everton in 1977. As an 8 year old used to watching Wednesday struggle in the old 3rd division in front of 8,000-12,000 fans, to get first division Everton was a big deal. 

over 36,000 turned out to watch Everton beat us 3-1 with tommy tynan scoring the equaliser for Wednesday, Everton played a full side with the likes of Martin Dobson, Andy King, Mick 'the legend' Lyons, Bob Latchford, Bruce Rioch and Duncan Mckenzie.

I can't actually remember Wednesday beating Everton in the cup, the Cup final was before my time, but I remember the 3 1-1 draws in 1988 followed by the 5-0 half time drubbing in the 4th game and the 2-1 semi final defeat at villa park in 1986.

can anyone remember us beating them in the cup?

Went to this as a starry eyed 13 year old , it was a massive game at the time for Wednesday, we were at the bottom of the old 3rd division playing Everton a top Division 1 side ,back then the league cup was taken seriously with the best eleven played , the crowd 36,000 tells you how big it was, we were getting around 12,000 at the time.

Tommy Tynan got our goal but Everton were to strong. Would be nice to beat them in the cup after all these years.