Sheffield Wednesday v Everton cup memories

one of my first memories of the league cup was v Everton in 1977. As an 8 year old used to watching Wednesday struggle in the old 3rd division in front of 8,000-12,000 fans, to get first division Everton was a big deal. 

over 36,000 turned out to watch Everton beat us 3-1 with tommy tynan scoring the equaliser for Wednesday, Everton played a full side with the likes of Martin Dobson, Andy King, Mick 'the legend' Lyons, Bob Latchford, Bruce Rioch and Duncan Mckenzie.

I can't actually remember Wednesday beating Everton in the cup, the Cup final was before my time, but I remember the 3 1-1 draws in 1988 followed by the 5-0 half time drubbing in the 4th game and the 2-1 semi final defeat at villa park in 1986.

can anyone remember us beating them in the cup?

• Like 1

Remember Alan Harper scoring in the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park to knock us out. Funny that he came to play for us towards the end of his career. The trilogy of really exciting 1-1 draws promised so much for the 3rd replay at Hillsborough in ‘88 which, in the typical Wednesday way, ended in a whimper, out of sight and out of the cup by half time!

That game was probably the most anarchic and prolonged battle I've ever seen at Hillsborough outside the ground. All along Parkside Rd where their coaches were before and after the game. 

Not clever I know. I was at the behind everyone singing Wednesday Aggro....:ph34r:

Chapman crashing home a header at Goodison in one of the replays. Classic centre forwards header and back when the FA Cup meant something and Everton were a big team. I know it all went a bit wrong in the end, but it's still a good memory of us v Everton for me.

Just now, spike1867 said:

Chapman crashing home a header at Goodison in one of the replays. Classic centre forwards header and back when the FA Cup meant something and Everton were a big team. I know it all went a bit wrong in the end, but it's still a good memory of us v Everton for me.

I have to agree with that, Everton were arguably one of the best teams in England maybe even Europe at the time. after the 3 1-1 draws I really believed we were going to turn them over at Hillsborough.

3 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Wasn't that just before the other home replay when we lost 5-0?

My memory was that huge scoreboard above the crowd at wembley changing scores after 56th minute at 1966:sad:

Obviously the semi final and then the 4 game marathon in the 80s.

But also remember playing them at home in the FA Cup early 90s, we absolutely battered them, wave after wave of attacks yet we somehow lost 2-1 with Southall having an absolute blinder. Think Norman Whiteside scored both theirs.

9 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Yes I was there at this one, stood on away end - was a cracking goal. I was also there Boxing day when we won 1-0 (Hirst I think) in the 90's so maybe my post above is a tad mis-leading, it wasn't ALL bad but felt like it.

They were defo a bogey team for us, we seemed to lose to them constantly for a period of time. I recall one game at hiillsbro where we absolutely battered them, it was on Match of the day & even the commentator stated the pressure we were putting Everton under was incredible... We hit bar/post & had attempts cleared off the line then Andy Gray popped up to score against run of play & we lost 1-0 - Totally summed up us against Everton in my eyes, certainly in the 80's..

Edited by Mr Mercury

10 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Yes I was there at this one, stood on away end - was a cracking goal. I was also there Boxing day when we won 1-0 (Hirst I think) in the 90's so maybe my post above is a tad mis-leading, it wasn't ALL bad but felt like it.

They were defo a bogey team for us, we seemed to lose to them constantly for a period of time. I recall one game at hiillsbro where we absolutely battered them, it was on Match of the day & even the commentator stated the pressure we were putting Everton under was incredible... We hit bar/post & had attempts cleared off the line then Andy Gray popped up to score against run of play & we lost 1-0 - Totally summed up us against Everton in my eyes, certainly in the 80's..

Yeah, that was in 1985 the year they won the league title with a brilliant team. But we battered them that day as you say. Southall made a wonder save from Varadi that was featured in the opening credits of MOTD for several years after, can still see Varadi wheeling away to celebrate and then putting his head in his hands as he had no idea how it was saved. .

Can't remember ever seeing us beat Everton in the cup.

However.....

Back in 1964-5 we were at Goodison and 2-1 up with a minute to go when they equalised.  Big Fred Pickering I think.  We lost the replay 3-0 in front of 50 thousand.

I've only seen us at Goodison 3 times that I recall.

64-5 as above.

60-1 league when we were 2-1 up at half time and lost 4-2.

96-7 roughly when we were two up in twenty minutes with Mark Bright scoring twice. Ended 2-2.

I've also seen us 2-0 up in the 1966 CF and lose.

And 0-5 at half time in that infamous fac match.

And 0-3 at Hillsborough in a league cup game about 12 years back.

Vaguely remember the two Norman Whiteside goals against us. Was that a cup game?

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The last time Sheffield Wednesday beat Everton in a cup competition was 20th Feb 1954. Won in the FA Cup 5th Round 3-1 at Hillsborough.
Since then been draw together 8 times in League and FA Cup and gone out everytime.

I remember a fact from when I was younger that no two teams had ever been drawn together more times in the FA Cup than Wednesday and Everton, think it was about 13 times. That may well have been superseded now though.

• Like 1

Can remember going to Goodison in the league or FA Cup in our Purple and Grey away kit and losing 5-0 iirc. They were a top side then though: Southall, Ratcliffe, Bracewell, Reid, Sheedy, Sharp etc.

Edited by GMOwl72

I first saw Wednesday on a bleak snowy Saturday winter day in January 1967 when we lost 0-1 to Liverpool. My dad didn't feel any pain though as he was still recovering from concussion having knocked himself out the previous May rushing to tell the next door neighbour Wednesday had gone two up in the FA Cup Final against Everton.  The neighbour was too worried to watch the match, so dad was kindly keeping him informed rushing back and forth from the TV room to yell updates as the bloke nervously pottered away in his potting shed. Dad jumped up in ecstasy to proclaim David Ford had slotted a second at Wembley only to wallop the back door frame with one hell of a whack. Mum and I found him moaning on the floor but we got him to his feet and finally back to his senses in front of the TV just in time to see Everton score a third in 15 minutes to record a crushing victory.

The good news is, dad has never seen a replay and is the only Wednesdayite on the planet who still believes we won the 1966 Cup

• Haha 2