Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Just been watching his old goals on multiple videos. He never creates his own chances but players use him in tight spots; essentially his movement is very good but he is not asked to do anything else really. 

 

 

You can see him moving a lot, then getting frustrated when he never receives the ball, surely bannan/Lee will be intelligent enough to use him, if he can get a place in the team

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, the monk said:

Such a raging success he spent most matches on the bench , and they  didn't want him back 

 

Norwich City manager Daniel Farke at the start of August. Seems that a promotion winning manager deems his loan spell a success, he must be pretty deluded and lacking your footballing knowledge?

 

"Generally, I made it clear I like Jordan Rhodes. He was a quite important player for us even though he didn't play each and every minute.

"He is a top class player with a top class attitude but I respect the contract situation. He is a player of Sheffield Wednesday. I wouldn't expect someone from Sheffield Wednesday to speak about our players and so I won't comment on this.

"You know we like Jordan and we were thankful he could help us but he is under contract. It is not my job to speak about this topic."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

 

Rhodes was poor in that playoff and it was the missed penalty at Leeds he has not recovered from 

Na the Leeds pen wasn't anywhere close to that. Yes he was average when he came on in the play off match though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Na the Leeds pen wasn't anywhere close to that. Yes he was average when he came on in the play off match though.

 

Started well here, assist on debut, goal on home debut. But the Leeds penalty miss was followed by him going into his shell generally 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cookeh said:

 

So, minutes per goal, only counting league games..

 

Rhodes 168
Fletch 230
Nando 240
Nuhiu 382
Winnall (no goals)

 

I take your point about Norwich being better than us, but if we're going to get promoted, we're going to have to play more like Norwich and less like Jos' Owls. If Rhodes can score for a good Norwich side, there's no reason he can't score for a good Wednesday side.

 

 

I'll take your word for those 'goals per minute' stats (and thanks for posting). Out of interest, what was Joao's? I'd have thought Joao would have had the best goals per minute of any of our strikers last year.

 

If Rhodes scored a goal every 168 minutes at Norwich that means he only played 1008 minutes in the entire season. A championship season is 4140 minutes of football so he was on the pitch for less than a quarter of their campaign.

 

I don't remember him missing many games through injury either. Playing less than a quarter of a season at Norwich is not exactly a ringing endorsement of a £10 million striker earning 40k+ a week

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With respect to Rhodes, if he really wants to leave and go to Norwich then he should be allowed to do so. The problem is possibly his wages, so the ball is firmly in his court. Good luck to the lad, it’s never really worked for him here. Time for both parties to move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jomaco said:

You can see him moving a lot, then getting frustrated when he never receives the ball, surely bannan/Lee will be intelligent enough to use him, if he can get a place in the team

 

He's started 34 games for us and come off the bench another 24 times. I'd say that was a decent amount by which to reach certain conclusions about what he is likely to offer or not.

 

When he first joined us, it turned out there were 20 games left in the season (including the play-offs). He appeared in every single one, starting 14 of them. In return, he got  a paltry 3 goals. The last 13 of those appearances saw him draw a total blank.

 

His current form for Wednesday, dating back to December 2017, is 10+6 appearances for 1 goal. Striking luminaries like Dominic Iorfa, Sam Hutchinson and Michael Hector can boast that much (or better).

 

Not only does he not deserve a place in the team, or even as the leading reserve striker, when he's had the kind of opportunities you infer he has failed repeatedly.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dowls said:

 

Rhodes got shoved in the back had it been a Rotherham defender and we not scored we would of had a very good penalty shout one VAR probably would of found in our favour if the ref missed it.

 

It was Rhodes chance right up until that shove - that’s just fact. What’s not fact is would he of scored it.. I’d hope he would of.

 

What I witnessed last night from Rhodes is what I expect a player of his reputation in the mix throughout waiting for that one chance .. a hallmark of his career to date. 

 

He was on the end of that cross when push came to shove (pun) .. we scored - just not him.

 

What none of us know is the impact of the summer bids, the loss of Bruce and his uncle .. was Rhodes set for a larger role this season?.. the continual benching he’s had here? 

 

Id say Rhodes needs man managing right now alongside pulling his own socks up. 

 

 

 

He had a decent chance and fluffed it. 

 

No wonder Nuhiu shoved him out of the way and took charge.

 

Regardless, to watch the ball go into the back of the net in the final minute of a cup game, in a derby and then to turn your back to your team mates in seeming disappointment is shitty.

 

Nuhiu on the other hand, gets all the flak in the world and still has the willingness to manhandle a £10m striker out of the way and finish the game.

 

Thats character. And that’s what Rhodes is lacking. Now the sharpness of his finishing seems to have deserted him you can see there’s very little behind it.

 

Shame really.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

 

He had a decent chance and fluffed it. 

 

No wonder Nuhiu shoved him out of the way and took charge.

 

Regardless, to watch the ball go into the back of the net in the final minute of a cup game, in a derby and then to turn your back to your team mates in seeming disappointment is shitty.

 

Nuhiu on the other hand, gets all the flak in the world and still has the willingness to manhandle a £10m striker out of the way and finish the game.

 

Thats character. And that’s what Rhodes is lacking. Now the sharpness of his finishing seems to have deserted him you can see there’s very little behind it.

 

Shame really.

 

 

You proper hate anything Wednesday dont you? :biggrin:

  • Disagree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhodes arrived a spent force,a gamechanger in his day,that was way before we bought him,he was struggling before Boro bought him,and boro had our knickers down once CC had set his sights on him,DCs backed his man,spaffed his load and ours,backed the wrong horse,shyte happens,the best thing for both parties would be a move away and a fresh face upfront.

We need to move on from the failure of the past and bring in the success of the future

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

 

 

 

When he first joined us, it turned out there were 20 games left in the season (including the play-offs). He appeared in every single one, starting 14 of them. In return, he got  a paltry 3 goals. The last 13 of those appearances saw him draw a total blank.

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, from him signing, we didn't score a goal whilst he wasn't on the pitch until the last match of the season against Fulham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

On the other hand, from him signing, we didn't score a goal whilst he wasn't on the pitch until the last match of the season against Fulham.

 

Shhh...

 

Do you hear that?

 

That stretching sound?

 

Listen carefully.

 

I think it's credulity reaching it's breaking point.

:dry:

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Owls2k said:

 

Norwich City manager Daniel Farke at the start of August. Seems that a promotion winning manager deems his loan spell a success, he must be pretty deluded and lacking your footballing knowledge?

 

"Generally, I made it clear I like Jordan Rhodes. He was a quite important player for us even though he didn't play each and every minute.

"He is a top class player with a top class attitude but I respect the contract situation. He is a player of Sheffield Wednesday. I wouldn't expect someone from Sheffield Wednesday to speak about our players and so I won't comment on this.

"You know we like Jordan and we were thankful he could help us but he is under contract. It is not my job to speak about this topic."

He was being  diplomatic pal 

 

Hes still at Wednesday despite Norwich spending nowt and inheriting millions 

 

"Generally I made it clear"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cookeh said:

 

Well, I'll ask you..

 

Did Carlos get the best out of him? Or any of our strikers?

Fletch looks like a different player now to under Carlos, because we're playing to his strengths, he's got a good run in the team and we've got players around him that let him do what he does best. Carlos stuffed Rhodes up top, along side Winnall who is a similar kind of player to Rhodes, a finisher, not a link up player or a chance creator. They made similar runs and our midfield struggled to find our front men thru-out that last season of Carlos.

Believe it or not.. Rhodes never played with Nuhiu under Carlos and only played once with Fletch where we won 2-0.

He played mostly with Winnall and a handful with Nando.. who none of our strikers have successfully partnered with.

 

Jos came in and was super defensive. to start with. Early on he played Rhodes and Joao, again, not suited as neither can really to hold up play for the other.. Given how defensive we were, Joao's pace on the break was a big weapon and Joao started to find some form. With Fletch out, Nuhiu was bought into the team for his holdup play and Nuhiu went on a made run of scoring, never seen before nor since.

 

Then Rhodes went on loan. Knocked in 9 goals for Norwich, with a better goals per minute than any of our players.

 

Bullen.. has put to use the pace of Harris and Murphy. Harris has been great. Murphy looks like he might just be pace and no end product. But that setup with out and out attaking wide men has meant we play 1 up front. Something Rhodes isnt good at, but that Fletch excells at.

 

So.. at what point did we play Rhodes in a pair with a decent foil?

Because the only time I can think of was one game against Hull and we won 2-0.

 

Was carlos wrong? Yes.

Was Jos wrong? No, we were a sinking ship and had to play defensively. Joao's pace was the best coutner-attacking tool we had, so Jos used it.

Was Bruce wrong? Umm.. no.. he never got to kick a ball for Bruce.

Is Bullen wrong? Remains to be seen. We're going to need an alternative system to the 433 at some point. Looking at teh men we have, Rhodes and Fletch makes the most sense to me.

 

 

 

Are you related to Rhodes or his best mate?

 

totally deluded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2019 at 05:21, prowl said:

There are plenty who would love him to fail. Sad that.

No fan cares who wears the shirt so long as it works and the club is successful. However you have to be realistic in your judgment of players. Jordan has been here a while now and from where I’m stood he has already failed.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice lad..

 

Stealing a wage

 

What's nice about that... ?   hes taking the pi55 out of the fans everytime he sets foot on our pitch. All the kids that stump up their money to watch us... they get a smile and a thumbs up.

 

Thousands per week..... for being nice.

Wasn't a team mate the other night.

Jordan Rhodes is all about him...and throws his toys out the cot when it isn't.

 

Get rid of him soon as possible and get someone in that wants to play for us.

  • Disagree 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Nice lad..

 

Stealing a wage

 

What's nice about that... ?   hes taking the pi55 out of the fans everytime he sets foot on our pitch. All the kids that stump up their money to watch us... they get a smile and a thumbs up.

 

Thousands per week..... for being nice.

Wasn't a team mate the other night.

Jordan Rhodes is all about him...and throws his toys out the cot when it isn't.

 

Get rid of him soon as possible and get someone in that wants to play for us.

 

Bit harsh to say he’s stealing a wage. Not his fault we handed out a massive contract.

 

I’m sure he’d love to do well, and I’m sure the waining of talent hurts him more than most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve got him until June 2021 so we have to get behind him and use him. I don’t see any club coming in for him in the next 3 windows.

 

Unfortunately, from what I’ve seen so far, I’ve got little confidence he will come off tho. It looks like he doesn’t want to be here and so far his performances have been pretty woeful. 

 

I absolutely would’ve preferred to keep Joao. It would be interesting to find out what sort of bids we have had for Rhodes over the last 18 months against what we sold Joao for. I’m not saying Joao was a saviour, far from it. He did my absolute head in sometimes with his lazy attitude but that’s the sort of player you want to bring on after 60 minutes to change a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/08/2019 at 22:21, prowl said:

There are plenty who would love him to fail. Sad that.

He’s already failed and is continuing to do so. I’m not advocating booing any player but it baffles me why Nuhiu, Fox and (still, at times) Palmer get dog’s abuse but Rhodes gets away Scott free. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He’s already failed and is continuing to do so. I’m not advocating booing any player but it baffles me why Nuhiu, Fox and (still, at times) Palmer get dog’s abuse but Rhodes gets away Scott free. 

 

Its because a lot of people are embarrassed by the fact they wanted him to sign so much, so despite him being an undisputed failure here, they still try and drag up ways it’s not his fault he plays like the Tin man on sleeping pills.

 

Play 442

Play wingers

Play him with a big man/fast man/small man 

 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...