TINKERBELL

Experienced championship manager please DC

1 hour ago, Mystic Neg said:

This is the blunts factor for me, while ever they are above us nothing will ever be good enough for some.

Best start in an age, not far off 2 points a game, happy squad, thieves stealing a wage gone, closer to being stable and we want an 'experienced' journeyman championship manager. 

Out of the last 9 promoted teams from championship, only 2 managers had successful championship management experience - Hughton and Warnock. 

How much of this is bullen though and how much is just running off of the work SB did during the summer? 

Im just not feeling it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So...we've had 5 league games and 1 cup game? 

We've won 4 out of 6, which is decent. 

Yes, we haven't faced anyone particularly good, but you can only beat what is in front of you. 

Personally, I think the club needs to sort this issue out one way or another over the international break. If Bullen is the man (not saying he is), then appoint him and back him with a couple of new coaches. If not, then you bring in whoever and (assuming he wants to) allow Bullen to go back to being a first team coach. 

I can completely understand people's misgivings about Bullen (I have a few of my own), but I can't quite understand the levels of negativity directed towards him. It is perfectly conceivable we'd have made a similar start under Bruce or someone else, but it appears that Bullen's lack of experience is used to beat him over the head irrespective of the result. Plus, lots of people are calling for an experienced manager, yet no one seems to have a particularly good candidate. I keep hearing the Cowleys...fair enough, however; is there any suggestion we'd be interested in them or they would come? 

What I will say is that if Bullen is to be the new manager, I want to see us developing a consistent playing style. It's a bit all over the place. One minute we are playing a high press, the next we are backing off and going all passive. 

That’s my take on the current position, and your last paragraph probably best describes my concern, but at the moment it’s only a slight concern

We always win so easily at Toytown and never leave it late so I see your point :duntmatter:

Edited by BIG D
  • Haha 1

Thing is that if Bullen is given the job now he will ultimately leave the club after he's sacked whether that be 6 months, 1 year or longer down the line. I think the next appointment is quite key as next Summer our rolling 3 year P&S will come down and the manager may have a bit of a budget. I'd rather have the best person in the job to give that budget too, not sure that's Bullen. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

How much of this is bullen though and how much is just running off of the work SB did during the summer? 

Im just not feeling it. 

The thing is, Bullen hasn't been given the preseason has he?   We don't know what he'd do, he's never had the opportunity.

All I see out there are managers who are tried and failed.   What we have in Bullen is someone who is untried, and is actually not failing really in the grand scheme of things.   The bonus is, he ain't the finished article - he is learning with every game and whilst he is learning, we don't seem to be doing shamefully, far from it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, markowl said:

How long until Bullen is a clown like Jones, Carlos and Jos?

I think that’s part of the issue here.  The usual suspects can’t quite get stuck in to slagging Bullen like they would if we had a ‘proper’ manager although the cliches are growing in strength.

Too close to the players.  The interview after the Burton game.  Any success is down to Bruce’s work but the bad bits being Bullen’s fault.  We want to remember him as a legend not a failure etc.  Usual tripe.

He wouldn’t be my first choice but then again I don’t have one from the obvious choices out there and things, given the circumstances, could be a hell of a lot worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Mystic Neg said:

This is the blunts factor for me, while ever they are above us nothing will ever be good enough for some.

Best start in an age, not far off 2 points a game, happy squad, thieves stealing a wage gone, closer to being stable and we want an 'experienced' journeyman championship manager. 

Out of the last 9 promoted teams from championship, only 2 managers had successful championship management experience - Hughton and Warnock. 

I'm not sure that's universally true, although it may be true in some cases.

I think most Owls fans (and Blades fans too, for that matter) acknowledge that United are where they are because they possess an exceptional manager.

And let's not forget that he joined the Blades in the Third.

Wilder doubtless made mistakes in his first season, but got away with most of them because it's less exacting at that level.

He and the team grew together, coalesced, to form a cohesive unit.

The situation with Bullen is quite different in that compared to Wilder he has practically no experience and has been parachuted into the second tier without serving his apprenticeship.

The performance levels are bob, and what generally happens is that they catch up with a team/manager and after a good hiding from a quality team the relentless slide down the league begins.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, markowl said:

How long until Bullen is a clown like Jones, Carlos and Jos?

Whenever you like.

image.png.94a25084d51d3704b0b5eaf273d5ddfb.png.df1a47519c385bd37eaefb705d77ec4a.png

34 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

Im just not feeling it. 

Who knows but it's far too early to tell. Give Bullen a proper run, a third of the season and then we will know more. 

10 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I'm not sure that's universally true, although it may be true in some cases.

I think most Owls fans (and Blades fans too, for that matter) acknowledge that United are where they are because they possess an exceptional manager.

And let's not forget that he joined the Blades in the Third.

Wilder doubtless made mistakes in his first season, but got away with most of them because it's less exacting at that level.

He and the team grew together, coalesced, to form a cohesive unit.

The situation with Bullen is quite different in that compared to Wilder he has practically no experience and has been parachuted into the second tier without serving his apprenticeship.

The performance levels are bob, and what generally happens is that they catch up with a team/manager and after a good hiding from a quality team the relentless slide down the league begins.

I hear you but I think it's still too early to tell how Bully will fair. It appears he's got a chance and a fair chance is at least 10 games in my opinion.

All great managers had to start somewhere and none of them made it after a run of 5 league games. Not saying Bully will be a great but put into perspective, the preseason, the budget, the large amount of change to his playing staff etc etc and he deserves some slack.

The best thing he has going for him I believe is that we have a settled squad and it looks to be a happy one. Makes a nice change. 

My opinion, for what it's worth.

We've started ok. Hard league, and results can always be iffy at the start of the season.

Somebody earlier said we'd been deservedly beat by the 2 established championship sides we've faced, yet we were the better side at millwall and lost, and played poorly against Luton and won.

I agree if he's going to be given the job it needs to be clarified soon so he can do what he wants with the players. I just think we have an honest, decent bloke in charge who loves the club, and wouldn't it be great if he was given the opportunity (not 6 bleeding games with half a new team) to do something special with us. 

I've not seen a reason to not give him the job yet. Yeah we've played poorly last couple of games, but name me a team that doesn't play poorly from time to time, and tell me the last time we went to Preston and to Rotherham and ran riot...

• Agree 1

We can’t get away from the fact that our best players are old and have terrible injury records. Fletcher, Lee, Hutch, Westwood, even Lees. If they are in your first team, you are simply not going to get 50 games at high intensity from them.

if we can nurse our way to sneaky wins against the likes of luton and Rotherham without going full gun, all the better.

7 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Cowley brothers have exactly same record in league 1 as we have this season. Are we really so impressed by a league 2 promotion? Look at Jones at stoke, hurst at Ipswich. I urge huge caution on this. 

There were similar comments when the pigs appointed lower league manager  Wilder.  The Cowleys have achieved more than Jones and Hurst in their fledgling managerial careers.

The point is that we need to hire the right manager, not just one with championship experience. 

I keep reading we played poor against Luton which I find strange coz I thought we won a hard fought competitive  game and deservedly so with a good second half performance.....do people think the team improvement was down to players stepping up a gear or was it down to bullen changing summat that wasn't quite working...I prefer  to think it was the latter.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I keep reading we played poor against Luton which I find strange coz I thought we won a hard fought competitive  game and deservedly so with a good second half performance.....do people think the team improvement was down to players stepping up a gear or was it down to bullen changing summat that wasn't quite working...I prefer  to think it was the latter.

Plus Luton have been on fire since we turned them over They are no mugs, ditto Reading

• Agree 1

Chansiri’s reply to the OP request could be to appoint Pulis, would we want that?

I expect we’ll then have people saying, ah when we said experienced we meant experienced but with recent success and who’s teams play good football.  

How about Chansiri just makes it easy and appoints a good manager.  

Mystic Neg who is unfortunately lobbying hard for the totally inexperienced Bullen as SWFC manager seems to have a memory problem.

Mystic Neg said:

"Out of the last 9 promoted teams from championship, only 2 managers had successful championship management experience - Hughton and Warnock."

Mystic Neg seems to have conveniently forgotten about Slavisa Jokanovic who took Watford and then Fulham up to the Premier League from the Championship.

Why I ask myself has Mystic Neg failed do the required research or is Mystic Neg always factually incorrect in the views being expressed.

Bullen is not the man.

2 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Mystic Neg who is unfortunately lobbying hard for the totally inexperienced Bullen as SWFC manager seems to have a memory problem.

Mystic Neg said:

"Out of the last 9 promoted teams from championship, only 2 managers had successful championship management experience - Hughton and Warnock."

Mystic Neg seems to have conveniently forgotten about Slavisa Jokanovic who took Watford and then Fulham up to the Premier League from the Championship.

Why I ask myself has Mystic Neg failed do the required research or is Mystic Neg always factually incorrect in the views being expressed.

Bullen is not the man.

But only one of those is on the list, and he’s not interested. Bullen is considered a possible alternative because, one, he’s doing OK, and two, because none of the other options are that convincing

This does not negate the point that Mystic Neg has got the facts compeletely wrong.

If you look back over the last twenty years you will find experienced Championship managers often winning promotion to the Premier League.

Here are four more just for starters: Gary Megson, Ian Holloway, Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce.

As in December last year the key requirement for the job should be Prior Success in the Championship.

Success may not always include promotion to the Premier League so Rowett might quality too.

Lee Bullen does not possess that requirement.

It’s becoming less likely that you need to employ an experienced manager to obtain promotion, well that’s what the facts would suggest