Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

In the early 90s I finally managed to cop off with the girl I'd been chasing for months.

My mate knocked me up and dragged me out of bed (with her) to watch us lose 1-0 at home to Wimbledon.

He remains unforgiven.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dooogs said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/6050714.stm

If you mean the 2006 game, that's the one that stands out for me. We lived in London at the time and still didn't get home until about 1am. I think KPS got fired later that week.

I was living in Cambridge at the time and drove across after work. Terrible, terrible game. I just remember someone shouting at Dibble (Colchester keeper) to give us a goal :D

Bar the Hartlepool United away game, every single performance under Alan Irvine 

Same with Turner bar the 2-1 away win at Portsmouth and the 7-2 at Burnley

Special inclusions to the 4-0 drubbing we received at Old Trafford where it could and should have been triple that (relegation season) plus nearly every single away game under Megson. 

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Agree with many highlighted, but notable mention also to 4-1 away at Coventry when the De Bilde consolation was booed. 

Awful. If my memory serves me right every player was booed towards the end of the match bar pressy and haslam

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

For me, it's not the Cup Final Reply or the Play Offs, as much as that hurts - there are highs and lows and some pride in getting that far.

The game that sticks out for me was a 0-0 draw at home to Scunthorpe in the FA Cup. Scunthorpe almost got relegated from the football league that season but the way we played we were exactly at their level. We were given the run-around by a geriatric Peter Beagrie, barely mustered a shot in 120 minutes, and then only managed to score with 1 of our 4 penalties (Steven Haslam of all people).

Didnt Maclean score for them in the shoot out at kop end? Cant have counted though

6 hours ago, matt68owls said:

losing 5-1 at Walsall, I think it was 1979. Wednesday went 1 up just before half time from TC and then he hit the bar with a header when it was easier to score. the second half was just awful, wave after wave of Walsall attacks, Wednesday didn't have a clue, we got absolutely battered.

I was looking to see if some other Oldster had posted this. What a shocker.

And there was an almighty crush on the terrace too.

Bad times.

For games I've been at.

The 4-0 drubbing at home to Norwich was abject. The ground started emptying after second goal and I think I was only person left when 4th went in!

The 3-1 defeat at.home to Villa last season was an absolute sickener.

1-0 away to Charlton in 2010. No shots on target and thought it was last game Id see and we were going bust.

11 hours ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

How long have you got..

lol

I started with the Forest game under Big Ron - the team that was too good to go down. Then moved on to the time when the spanked us 6 or 7-1. In between that there was a mauling from Leeds at Hillsboro.

But let's face it, 3-1 up away at Derby going into injury time and we eventually held out for a draw. It was only February and I knew my team were going to get relegated.

It's great to be a Wednesdayite.

:duntmatter:

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Worst result the Arsenal replay.

Worst trip Portsmouth. Belted it down with rain on the uncovered terrace whilst wearing a heavy mohair jumper. Then train broke down and had to sit in said jumper for 4 hours before the train even moved. Got home in the early hour's next day from a 3 pm KO. 

At least the club refunded 5 quid o the 7 quid ICO fare!

Plus there were lots of pretty girls sitting in their undies on that train! Not so bad after all, especially after we won 1-0 with a 35 yd  Megson free kick!

My worst trip ever Middlesborough April 1974. Lost 8-0 and got beaten up after game. I was 14 and it was my first ever proper away game (BDBTL didn't count).

Edited by Utah Owl

Impossible to choose just one but the fading memory banks came up with:

1993 - The League Cup Final v Arsenal - got shyte seats at Wembley, the match was a non event with the highlight being Adams breaking Morrows arm

1989/90 - Southampton (H) - Big Ron was manager, we were playing some fantastic football, absolutely battering the Saints but it wouldn't go in, we got a corner the ball was cleared and (I think) one of the Wallace brothers ran up the other end and scored the winner

80's - Everton (H) - After a series of 1-1 cup draws Everton came back to S6 under the lights, huge crowd, high anticipation, 0-5 down at half time, back on coach on 60mins

90's - Arsenal (A) - 1-1 at half time, we'd played well, talk among the crowd about how we could do this, everything Arsenal hit in the 2nd half went in, 7-1.

90's - Arsenal (A) - Again!! Our bogie team at the time, we played really well for once, didn't win the game but were looking at a respectable 0-0, last second Ian Wright winner, the bogie continues

2017 - Sheffield Utd (H) - Surely we'd give these a football lesson, specially with fat Leon up front, free kick fiasco to start followed by one of the worst defensive displays I can remember and it would have to be against these, cracking comeback to 2-2, we can do these I though, 30 seconds later a scene I cannot bring myself to watch again, dreadful

2018 - Norwich (H) - Jos

1990 - Forest (H) - we needed a point to stave off an unlikely relegation under Big Ron, Forest took us apart with Pearce at the forefront, I couldn't watch

2003 - Colchester (H) - Opening day, we'll walk this league, much anticipation, played of the park by Colchester

1999/2000 - Derby (A) - Sat right at the back of Derby's home stand, 3-1 and looking forward to seeing my first win against these - injury time followed

I'm sure there's more but I need to lie down.

• Haha 1

During Chris Turner‘s reign I think...had season ticket on kop where entrance stairway is so even had my own ledge to slump on...stand on...punch!! Grimsby at home 0-0 totally sober and literally nodded off for a minute or 2...in the days when I used to walk away all mardi ...“ I’m not going again...can‘t be bothered with this anymore!! ##!!!“ 

But could probably repeat this for 100 other games but I just get over it quicker now than when i was younger

• Thanks 1

Guest Ferkorf
6 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

That was the game where I found myself sat next to Fishcake. Almost stopped me ever going to another game.

I had him next to me at crewe away in the early 00's. He kept shouting 'Im going to burn my shirt'..

Eventually a fella infront turned around to give him an ear full. A few mins after fishcake ended up getting floored by the bloke infront bless him haha

1 hour ago, Ferkorf said:

I had him next to me at crewe away in the early 00's. He kept shouting 'Im going to burn my shirt'..

Eventually a fella infront turned around to give him an ear full. A few mins after fishcake ended up getting floored by the bloke infront bless him haha

Shoulda given him a match! lol

Still troubled by memories of being unable to beat a 9-man Yeovil at home under Alan “bitterly disappointed” Irvine. 

I was sat in the upper West stand for one of those “home away day” things the club were doing, where you could change your seat to the away stand for one match.