Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

11 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Colchester at home first game of the season under turner. We were mullered.

Yeovil at home

0-0 Vs Rushden and Diamonds

Bolton away under CC - Lost 2-1 the most spineless performance i've seen

Crikey, i've only just got started

Oh god, the Colchester at home 0-3. Remember going to the game with optimism for the season, like you do, then watched that debacle.

Still have nightmares.

Just now, SwellOwl said:

Oh god, the Colchester at home 0-3. Remember going to the game with optimism for the season, like you do, then watched that debacle.

Still have nightmares.

To think we actually ended up getting promoted that season. 

Chris Turner. 

Jesus Christ on a Crystal meth bringe. 

Derby County away 3-3 when we were 3-1 up going into the 90th minute still makes me shiver. 

Bristol City away in the early 90s. Was thick snow and loads of fans had to turn back. We were stood on an open terrace and I'd forgotten my coat and was wearing a big jumper, that got bigger

Guest LittleG
35 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Been quite a few Brighton 83 hurt as only a kid and thought it was only chance to see us at Wembley.

Arsenal, not too bad as half expected it. 

Everton in the cup was pretty bad think we were 5 down by halftime only time I have left a game early left after 60 mins. 

More highs than lows in reality though.

After watching Wednesday for over 55 years and after reading the posts on here, which bring back a lot of memories, I'm in the camp that there have been a lot more lows than highs!

Not sure anything can match the 93 replay. Only game I’ve ever cried at. 

Honourable mentions to...

1-6 v Leeds - my dad is a Leeds fan and with it being live on TV and them having Wilkinson, Chapman, Sterland etc it was an absolute sickener.

2-2 v Palace - had a huge argument with the missus beforehand and relegation put the icing on it. Drove up to Damflask after the game and sat there for half an hour to calm down!

1-1 v Huddersfield - to have another play-off final there for the taking and putting in such a limp performance still rankles with me now. Definitely the angriest I’ve been at a game in the last 20 years. 

And id agree with the OP on that Wolves game. We had Wolves fans in exec boxes right behind us and a cocky little kid was taking the wee wee from behind the glass as we trudged out. I was 19 and he was only about 12 but I’d have happily pummelled him at that moment. And then we got lost trying to get home and were still driving around Wolverhampton at nearly midnight. 

Apart from these there are way too many dire performances in League One or bottom end of championship to mention!

3 minutes ago, ljhowl said:

Come on you can do better than that. What game was the closest you have got to a "That's enough. Never again" moment?

Well, I was well pished off with Carlos when we capitulated against Charlton in the Cup and he seemed to be deliberately throwing the game away. But that was just angrymadness.

Anything in the month before Allan Irvine got sacked.

Awful attitude from him and the players. He was waiting to be sacked to pick up his compo, and just stood on the touchline like a statue, no support , encouragement, balling outs..nothing.

Unbelievable to think he lasted just over a calendar year..it seemed a lot longer.

16th position in the third tier when he left..in came the 'saviour' Megson...and we finished 15th. 

Away to Leicester city, circa 1987ish.

We were being well and truly hammered, we had a Scottish C/H (Ha!) lannighan was his name I believe, we were 6-0 down with 30mins to go, Lannigan was by that put on the wing, out of the way, we tried to leave early but the Police made us stay to the end, Sadistic tvvats.

• Haha 1

Drawing at home to Palace in 2010 to be relegated. Remember discussing the merits if being wound up after the game.

And the Huddersfield Play Off game 2017. I sat for about an hour in total silence, head in hands. Flat mates didn't know what to do with me.

lol

I was a student in Nottingham and went with a couple of Leeds-supporting mates to watch Leeds vs Wednesday in the home end at Elland Road. They were both wearing their Leeds shirts, whereas I was obviously keen to keep my allegiances hidden whilst going 'behind enemy lines', so opted for a nondescript outfit. We got a direct train from Nottingham to Leeds, went to a few pubs, got a taxi to the ground, then went in to find our seats. So far, so good.

Once inside, it became apparent that the lad who'd booked our tickets had decided to have a bit of fun at my expense and rather than opt for the 'family stand' I was promised, had situated us right at the heart of Leeds' less savoury fans, many of whom had their shirts off displaying their various Leeds tattoos, and most of whom spent the majority of the game gesturing towards the packed away end I was yearning to join.

So scared was I of being outed as a Wednesdayite, I decided that if Leeds scored, sitting quietly and clapping wouldn't be enough; I was going to have to go all out and leap and cheer with the rest of the great unwashed around me. And leap and cheer a Leeds goal I did. Three f*cking times.

If having to lower myself to such embarrassment wasn't enough however, the journey home saw a bad day morph into a truly horrendous one.

When we got back to Leeds train station, we quickly realised that our only realistic option for getting back to Nottingham some time before midnight was to get on a train heading towards...Sheffield. So now as we boarded the train with several hundred Wednesdayites, my two shirted Leeds mates lost their smugness and did their very best to hide any sign of Leeds beneath their jackets, one of which was borrowed from me, as he'd come without his own. The fact that it was a good few inches too short for him didn't really help our cause.

As we tucked ourselves away and did our best to blend into the paintwork at the very end of the carriage, we settled down for a particularly tense journey, full of suspicious stares and ever more aggressive chanting from the mass of pissed-up Wednesdayites filling the rest of the train. I did my best to talk loudly about Wednesday and make it clear I was a Wednesday fan, but clearly our cards were marked.

At some point, an empty bottle of whisky came hurtling our way, smashing on the wall of the train us and showering the three of us with broken glass. We were so badly outnumbered, we didn't even consider reacting. Thankfully, at that moment we were just pulling into a station - I couldn't even tell you which one - and as the carriage doors opened, we didn't give it a second thought: out we went, dashing up the platform and legging it away from the train until we were satisfied that nobody was following us. We eventually got home after waiting around for the next train heading to Nottingham.

So all in all, my worst Wednesday game comprised: sitting among a bunch of pretty rough-looking Leeds fans whilst trying to blend in; cheering Leeds scoring against Wednesday three times; and nearly getting my head kicked in by a bunch of Wednesday fans. I've had better days.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Derby vs Wednesday 3 - 3

Commentator: "Donnelly seals the victory..."

FFS, still fuming over that when people remind me of worst matches...

6 minutes ago, VBQ24 said:

Drawing at home to Palace in 2010 to be relegated.

This one is high on the list too.

Edited by N0rtherner

Phew so many!

1966 cup final was the start for me.

Losing to City came next, stood on the Kop getting soaked.

Many more after that, but the past few years have been hard.

Losing to Hull at Wembley, the two games against Huddersfield and the

hardest of all getting stuffed 4-2 by the blunts.

It can only get better.

We hope...