Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

Midweek league cup game against Bournemouth c2004/5 

I think we were 4-0 down after an hour and getting played off the park.

The only time I’ve ever left a game early, I left about the 65th Minute I think

Edit...looking back and this game doesn’t seem to exist. Maybe it was so bad they expunged it from the records

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I was one. I think we won the second half 1-0 

Sadly not, 0-5 was the final score. 

That was one of only 4 times in the almost 39 years I've been going that I actually left the game before the end - the others, because I can tell you're desperate to know, being Norwich at home around 1989 because I was ill, think it was the first game of the season and we lost 0-2, pigs away when we lost 0-2 in 1991, and when we lost 1-4 at home to Wrexham in the cup under Sturrock

There are many.

0-3 at home to Forest 1990

1-7 at home to Forest again, in the 90s

2-2 relegation match v Palace where piggy Clarke broke his flipping toe

0-0 hone to Brizzle where we didn't have a single shot on target

1-6 v L**d's on my birthday. And we shouldn't even have had the 1 goal....

2-4 v pigs

God I really am depressed now. I'm going to stop before I get any worse.

Edited by Pablo Bonvin

1 minute ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

There are many.

0-3 at home to Forest 1990

1-7 at home to Forest again, in the 90s

2-2 relegation match v Palace where piggy Clarke broke his flipping toe

0-0 hone to Brizzle where we didn't have a single shot on target

2-4 v pigs

God I really am depressed now. I'm going to stop before I get any worse.

That's why I said choose one. To show that for you that was the absolute low point, it still eats at you, yet you keep coming back. It's an illness I tell thee...

49 minutes ago, ljhowl said:

I've just responded on another thread about a Wednesday penalty loss which brought back some pretty horrible emotions - in particular anger and despair. Now I'm an optimistic bloke and "worst Wednesday games" can be a bit subjective but it did get me curious about what games have scarred other fans for life? So what was your worst Wednesday game and why?

Mine was Molineux 1995  I was in a bar in Kilburn following the game. How we managed to lose a penalty shoot-out when leading it 3-0 is beyond me. Just as we lost some tail comes round with a bucket collecting for the IRA. Told him in no uncertain terms to fek off.  Managed to escape with just a broken nose and wife freaking out when I got home. I suppose many would say there have been worse games supporting Wednesday  (Arsenal/Palace/Everton/Exeter/Yeovil games for example) but Molineux 1995 still does my head in. Sums up everything frustrating about following The Wednesday for me. Told myself that was it. Never again. But of course that lasted 30 minutes. It's a damn disease this fan thing. (And I don't even come from Sheffield!)

1-3 home to Yernited ,Chris Woods !!!

That was a bad night 

Think their double over us that season  cost us the prem title 

Like others have said, far too many to mention. The 1993 cup final replay obviously stands out, but it was especially grim travelling to Stevenage who'd been non-league for most of their history and seeing us getting tonked 5-1, it seemed that after thinking we'd turned the corner under Megson we were back to square one.

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

The 0-0 at home to Rushden & Diamonds in 2003 felt like a low point.

I came home from holiday in Florida, cutting it short by a day to avoid missing a home game, and went almost literally straight to the ground from the airport to watch that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I think I was at that one . When claridge was their player manager , might have been under Jewell or shreeves. Think we lost 2 nil and it absolutely hammered it down. 

For me the famous 0-0 with Grimsby is up there, two teams on their way to relegation , it was like a death march.

The one I'm on about we won 1-0 Gary Megson with a 30 yard screamer.

They put us on their covered Kop after the game to get us out of the rain. Until they sat us on the broken down train

37 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Wednesday at home to Man City in April 1970 on a thoroughly unpleasant midweek evening. It chucked it down all match.

In front of the biggest crowd of the season (45,000+), Wednesday needed a win to stay in the old Division One and Man City virtually handed the game to Wednesday who were so inept, they still lost.

City appeared to be so disinterested that Doyle "passed" his penalty to Grummitt and the rest of the City side seemed more bothered about their summer holidays thn winning a football match. Everybody that is, except for Ian Bowyer who scored both City's goals. Ex-City player Tony Coleman netted a consolation for Wednesday in between both City goals.

It was my first experience of relegation and it was the start of turbulent times for Wednesday.

This 10 fold, exactly how I remember it, although only young. Was inconsolable as it was there to be won, and despite City's help we still lost it. 

Also one that sticks in my mind was Millwall a couple of seasons ago, 1 up with seconds to go and had the ball in the corner.  Somehow faffed about and let em nick it, run up the other end avoiding a lunging tackle, crossed and tucked it in with the last kick of the game.  Not necessarily the worst game, or most important points dropped, by my was it the most angry and frustrated that 20 seconds of football has ever made me.  

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Loosing cup finals, cup semi finals, playoff finals and semifinals, Premier League matches to the big boys etc are all very disappointing but getting your backside slapped by Exeter City 5-1, watching Rotherham, Chesterfield and Doncaster “ out try” you... they are the ones that hurt.

Been quite a few Brighton 83 hurt as only a kid and thought it was only chance to see us at Wembley.

Arsenal, not too bad as half expected it. 

Everton in the cup was pretty bad think we were 5 down by halftime only time I have left a game early left after 60 mins. 

More highs than lows in reality though.