Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

On 28/08/2019 at 12:08, Musn't Grumble said:

Wednesday at home to Man City in April 1970 on a thoroughly unpleasant midweek evening. It chucked it down all match.

In front of the biggest crowd of the season (45,000+), Wednesday needed a win to stay in the old Division One and Man City virtually handed the game to Wednesday who were so inept, they still lost.

City appeared to be so disinterested that Doyle "passed" his penalty to Grummitt and the rest of the City side seemed more bothered about their summer holidays thn winning a football match. Everybody that is, except for Ian Bowyer who scored both City's goals. Ex-City player Tony Coleman netted a consolation for Wednesday in between both City goals.

It was my first experience of relegation and it was the start of turbulent times for Wednesday.

If I remember right only two players really tried hard that night; Coleman (he's run through brick walls) and that young whipper snapper Bowyer.

I'm convinced none of the Man City team wanted us to go down and were playing at testimonial level, while 10 out of 11 Wednesday players were bricking it and couldn't do owt right.

Worst game ever. Had to face a couple of gloating piggy fans at school next day.:angry:

Oh, and losing 8-0 at Middlesborough, early seventies, wasn't nice to witness.

Agree with many mentioned but in recent memory I recall a cup game against Charlton where we would have played United in the next round. We equalized and then Stuart Gray made a stupid substitution straight away. For some reason, that game sticks in my mind. 

On 28/08/2019 at 14:08, Musn't Grumble said:

Wednesday at home to Man City in April 1970 on a thoroughly unpleasant midweek evening. It chucked it down all match.

In front of the biggest crowd of the season (45,000+), Wednesday needed a win to stay in the old Division One and Man City virtually handed the game to Wednesday who were so inept, they still lost.

City appeared to be so disinterested that Doyle "passed" his penalty to Grummitt and the rest of the City side seemed more bothered about their summer holidays thn winning a football match. Everybody that is, except for Ian Bowyer who scored both City's goals. Ex-City player Tony Coleman netted a consolation for Wednesday in between both City goals.

It was my first experience of relegation and it was the start of turbulent times for Wednesday.

Remember this one. It was an horrible night. If I remember right City had a Fairs Cup final or some such the week after so no one wanted to get injured. They just strolled around but then Bowyer came on and wanted to win a place in the final. Horrible weather, horrible match, horrible result. 

Guest Jack the Hat
On 31/08/2019 at 08:14, vulva said:

Seem to recall losing at Chesterfield and Nsumbu was the stand out player. When Nsumbu is your stand out player that’s a clear signal that as a football club you have some real issues on your hands.  

Think I went to that. Did Quinn get set off right at the end

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Agree with many mentioned but in recent memory I recall a cup game against Charlton where we would have played United in the next round. We equalized and then Stuart Gray made a stupid substitution straight away. For some reason, that game sticks in my mind. 

Yep, we bottled it big time that night..............a quarter final against the blunts no less with a guaranteed live TV slot and all the money that entailed.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Yep I remember being absolutely fuming at that. A limp defeat and throwing away the chance of a Sheffield derby. its the night Chris Powell swung on the crossbar. Where is that gimp now?

2 hours ago, vulva said:

yes agree i remember that all too well the entire family turned out for what was a non event   refresh my memory was that the one where powell swung on the crossbar after the match ?

I hate losing I stop posting, don't watch the highlights or read the reports.  Ruins the next few days. 

Hate might be a bit strong but you know I mean. 

Brighton in the semi final was convinced we was going to win. 

Walking out of the ground it was so quiet, everyone deflated. 

Edited by Mycroft

On 28/08/2019 at 12:33, McRightSide said:

Midweek league cup game against Bournemouth c2004/5 

I think we were 4-0 down after an hour and getting played off the park.

The only time I’ve ever left a game early, I left about the 65th Minute I think

Edit...looking back and this game doesn’t seem to exist. Maybe it was so bad they expunged it from the records

Was a league game 2003/04 , Turner was sacked afterwards think we lost 3-0

3 hours ago, vulva said:

Morgan Fox made his senior debut and looked a world-beater, we were bloody awful that night. That derby would have been fascinating as well.

Just before BFR came in we were turning out some dreadful performances with a team and manger in Eustace who more or less had given up.

A game that summed this period up was Coventry away when they comprehensively batted us 5-0 with 5' 9'' David Speedie getting a hatrick of headers.

Dark days:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/gallery/flashback-coventry-city-5-0-sheffield-8375665

On 28/08/2019 at 12:13, Rogers said:

5-0 down at half time to Everton at home, saw a dog get run over on the way to the ground. Mid 80s 

Arsenal reply was horrific. 

Newcastle away 8-0 or whatever it was was also horrific to watch. 

That Everton game was the only time I left and went home at Half-Time. Everton were superior in every way nevertheless the Owls fans across the stadium were singing loudly "One Sheffield Wednesday, there's only one Sheffield Wednesday" For that reason alone it can't be on anyone's worst Owls match.

Whilst epic failures against the likes of Stevenage, Yeovil etc are hugely embarrassing, and cup final defeats are extremely hard to take, NOTHING makes me as sick to my stomach as losing to pigs or, to a slightly lesser degree, dirty Leeds. 

Especially the 2-4 at Hillsborough, as it was my daughters first ever Sheffield derby. 

Dishonorable mention to Hull play off final defeat, as I had to watch my teenage daughter sat with head in hands, refusing to leave her seat and crying her eyes out for a full 20/30 minutes after final whistle. 

Nearly broke my heart. 

In recent times the defeat to QPR last season away. Realising that Jos hadn't got a clue how to manage a football team - no tactics - no fight and half the squad either not playing for dubious reasons or in the wrong positions. I hadn't realised just how bad it had become until then. So glad he didn't last too much longer! 

The Hull playoff final was a strange one. I didn't feel too down at the end. The atmosphere was incredible and it kind of felt like a free swing at promotion. "We would be back next year and win it"...

Huddersfield the year after was a gut punch. That really felt like we had completely missed our opportunity and it would be a long time before we would have another go.