Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

15 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Times I've been most angry were Leyton Orient or Colchester away, both 4-0 defeats

Two horrendous performances, we made Colchester look like Brazil 1970.

If I’m right the Leyton Orient game saw debuts from Madine and Reda.  

Tue 16 Sep 2008

Reading 6 Wednesday 0

I drove straight from work, in Chesterfield and we were 1-0 before I'd even sat down. 

Brian Laws reckoned they'd got stuck in traffic on the way down their. Sadly I didn't. I think Wednesday owe us some of these results as pay back. 

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Tue 16 Sep 2008

Reading 6 Wednesday 0

I drove straight from work, in Chesterfield and we were 1-0 before I'd even sat down. 

Brian Laws reckoned they'd got stuck in traffic on the way down their. Sadly I didn't. I think Wednesday owe us some of these results as pay back. 

That has to be one of my most depressing away games. We'd actually started the season reasonably well and were in and around the top 6 which was unusual for us back then.

1976 home to Colchester, absolutely awful game of football.  The crowd of around 7,500 was treated to one of those games that you only recall as it was so dire.  Wednesday won 1-0 courtesy of an own goal from outside the box, the defender intercepting a pass and steering it adroitly into the bottom corner.  If memory serves, the biggest cheer was the announcement of Utd getting thumped at Spurs.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Ah yes. This is a good (bad) one. 

It was either that we couldn’t afford a hotel for the players... or we just chose not to... 

Drawing 0-0 against Chesterfield and Rushden and Diamonds was a particular low-light. 

The latter don't even exist anymore and the former are on the brink of exiting the Conference. 

I've watched some utter dross over the years. 

Getting excited about signing Terry f00king Cooke or Brian Barry Murphy or getting Michael Reddy back. 

Jesus Christ. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Ah yes. This is a good (bad) one. 

It was either that we couldn’t afford a hotel for the players... or we just chose not to... 

I believe we couldn't afford a hotel, as it was right in the middle of Co-Op-agedon

But the excuses stank, because I set off at 5:30pm from Chesterfield and still got their for 8pm

Our players weren't that good back then either. We never looked like closing the flood gates at any point. 

Absolutely abysmal performance and abysmal times

Just now, SiJ said:

Drawing 0-0 against Chesterfield and Rushden and Diamonds was a particular low-light. 

The latter don't even exist anymore and the former are on the brink of exiting the Conference. 

I've watched some utter dross over the years. 

Getting excited about signing Terry f00king Cooke or Brian Barry Murphy or getting Michael Reddy back. 

Jesus Christ. 

Adam Proudlock's blue rinse though. 

lol

He thought he was David Beckham signing for Real Madrid, which you have to give him credit for...

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Adam Proudlock's blue rinse though. 

lol

He thought he was David Beckham signing for Real Madrid, which you have to give him credit for...

Remember when he was a big signing? 

That fat waster. Absolute dross. 

So many crap players. 

There is still much for us to improve on, but the quality of player we have now compared to that 00s period is night and day. 

16 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

That has to be one of my most depressing away games. We'd actually started the season reasonably well and were in and around the top 6 which was unusual for us back then.

I've forgotten we were around the top six, but that would make sense as I don't normally go to away games, especially mid week ones. 

Laws generally did well under very difficult circumstances 

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

4-1 is not 3-0  same goal diff  but different  tbf cant remember last time we got 4 first half

Even more dangerous, because you still have a clean sheet at 3-0 at half time. You're right, it would never happen. 

There's another thread on 4 in the first half, but Away in the League Cup semi final at Blackburn in 93 has to be the bench mark of first half performances including 4 goals. 

Anyway, this is the wrong thread for three goal leads at half time. 

44 minutes ago, Junglejay said:

Two horrendous performances, we made Colchester look like Brazil 1970.

If I’m right the Leyton Orient game saw debuts from Madine and Reda.  

I think Reda made his debut away at Bristol City when we beat them 3-0.

We should’ve been 5-0 down at half time lol

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Kim Olsen? Tony flipping Crane? Robbie bloody Mustoe? Steve Adams? Peter Gilbert? Ola Tidman? 

WTF!!!!

That Steve Adams was a real mystery, Luggy seemed to really rate him but I saw absolutely nothing from him in his whole time at the club.